Sick Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
I noticed a few hours ago that Tate(a Netherland Dwarf Buck)has been sitting in one corner of his cage(I had to move him a wipe his but a few minutes ago.) He hasn't touched his food. He just sits over his water bowl drinking his water. His eyes are also watery. Is this something that will clear up or does he need a vet? I don't have a way to get to the vet until later this week, what can I do for him for the time being? My teacher is a vet tech, is there any medicine I could get to help him right now? Please help him.

Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet right away. Your rabbit is exhibiting signs of illness and only a vet can determine exactly what is going on. It may just be a mild digestive issue that some pain meds and gut stimulant will resolve, or it could be something more serious. Anything that causes a rabbit pain can make them show the type of behavior that your rabbit is showing(eg. lack of appetite, lethargy). Your rabbit really needs to be seen by a rabbit vet right away, especially if it has been more than 12 hours since he last ate. Waiting til later in the week could prove fatal. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

If you don't already have a vet you see, make sure to see a rabbit savvy vet.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thankfully I know a few rabbit savvy vets nearby. Unfortunately I'm without transportation...

I will talk to my teacher tomorrow to see if there's any possibility of him being picked up from my house.

Is there anything I should do in the meantime?

About all you can do from home is try some infant gas drops in case it is due to gas pain. And maybe syringe some plain pedialyte electrolytes, after palpating his stomach and making sure it isn't bloated at all. Anything else needs a vet. Read the first link I shared. It has info on what this might be and how much of the baby gas drops to give.

Latest posts

Back