Sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachie

Reaction score
So my little netherland dwarf, Alfred, has been sick for a little while. Ever since I've had him (month and a half) he's had gunky eyes. They aren't weepy, but its like when you wake up in the morning and have stuff in the corner of your eyes (I know, gross :?). The last week or so he has also been wheezing a little. I can only hear when he's really up close to me and its like he's squeaking when he breathes.

My vet gave me an antibiotic ointment for his eyes but it really irritated them so she had me stop using it. His eyes do seem a little better but they are still gunky. My vet thinks the wheezing might be an allergy to his bedding or dust from his hay or something...

Any ideas? Sorry for the rambling post and thanks in advance for any advice! :D

my Tony gets eye crusties too. i just pick 'em out. are they a huge problem, or just a bit of mucus/fur/dust-ness that you can just take out once in a while?

the wheezing isn't good though... what about antibiotics to be taken orally, instead of just in the eye? it sounds like he might have an upper respiratory infection if the eye crusties are related to the wheeze. has the vet heard the wheeze to see if it is a problem?

The eye crustys aren't a big problem, I just pick them out every day too. I worried about them thinking they might mean a bigger problem. I took Alfred to the vet Wednesday but I'm not sure if she heard it. He doesn't do it all the time...

My vet wanted to see if switching his hay and bedding would help before giving him more antibiotics...

What kind of bedding/litter do you use? It could perhaps be something to do with that. :? I'm not sure, the wheezing could perhaps indicate some kind of respiratory infection, but I know very little about these things.

Have you switched hay and bedding? Do you use a hayrack to keep hay off the floor? If not, maybe keeping the hay in a rack would help, if the problem is related to the hay.

Hope it all gets sorted out. :hug:

Sorry I can't think of the name of the antiobiotic but it was a cream to put in the eyes and it started with a T, I think... :?

I'll have a look when I get home

Our Benji has chronic eye issues.

Our vetgave him a round of antibiotic salve to use in his eyes. She also did a stain of each eye to make sure they weren't scratched or damaged in some way. No damage and the salve had no effect.

When his eyes are bad, they get runny.....clear discharge.

We finally decided that it was due to allergies or overactive tear glands or his tear ducts are restricted in some way....
....or ALL of the above.

The vet doesn't want to flush the tear ducts for fear of causing scar tissue and making the matter worse.
She also said that it could be the roots of his cheek teeth pressing on the tear duct.

Soooo.....
We run a HEPA filter in his room 24/7.
The room is vacuumed every other day. The unit sits in another room and I have a long hose so nothing gets blown back into the room.
He gets a blankie for his bedding, and it gets washed once a week.
I select the most dust-free hay and then mist it lightly.
I don't use a hay rack because he likes to eat from the bottom, so there's less chance of hay getting in his eyes.
I remove as much dust from his pellets as possible using a collinder to sift them.
I use Woody Pet for litter and it gets a light misting to keep the dust down.

He still gets runny eyes from time to time. I use warm chamomile tea compresses when needed.

Sounds like quite a pampered bunny you've got there JimD :love: I'll definitely have to try some of your methods on Alfred.

The antiobiotic cream the vet gave me was terramycin and she had me putting it in is eyes twice a day.

Back