Sick Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmiths47

Reaction score
We got 2 6 week old dwarf lops a week ago and booked a vets visit today just to be safe.

We noticed about 2 days ago one of them is very thin and is going bold in places but it is eating ok but seams to drink loads more than the other one.

The vet checked them out one is Ok but the thin one was running a temperature and it was breathing too fast, so he gaveher a shot of antibiotics and we have to give her an oral shot twice a day until friday.

She is not a happy bunny just sits there dozing at the front of the hutch just wants to snuggle up to the other bunny

Anybody got any ideas as the vet was not very helpfull "probably an infection" was all I got out of him but he didn't think it was serious enough to seperate the bunny's

Cheers

Dave

Hello there! Sorry for all the questions - Where is your rabbit going bald - is it all over or in one particular place?Can you see any parasites/dandruff/dry patches of skin? And is she scratching? Was she thin when you got her? And what are you feeding them?

Where abouts in the UK are you - have you looked for a rabbit savvy vet?

When I hear that a bunny is going bald, my first reaction is that it could be mites (or fleas). As was mentioned above,is she itching the area? Did the vet do a skin scraping to check for mites?

Also, are both of them eating regularly their pellets and hay? Pooping normally?

And what kind of oral antibiotic is the one on?

Here we go

Where is your rabbit going bald - is it all over or in one particular place?

She is slightly thinning on her right ear and in between her shoulder blades, she is ok everywhere else.

Can you see any parasites/dandruff/dry patches of skin? And is she scratching?

No/No/No and No

Did the vet do a skin scraping to check for mites?

No

Also, are both of them eating regularly their pellets and hay? Pooping normally?

Yes and Yes

And what kind of oral antibiotic is the one on?

No information on syringe or packaging

Was she thin when you got her?

No thinner than Waffles

what are you feeding them?

Just pellets and hay

She had the anti-biotic injection this morning at approx.10.00am and seems to be picking up a little. After we cleaned out the hutch today we noticed that she was feeding and drinking fine.

Hope this answersyour questions and we will have to find a rabbit vet if there is no improvement by the time Treacle goes back on Friday

Cheers

Dave

If poor Treaclehas fur mites do we have to sterilise the hutch anddestroy whats left of that bag of hay as I have just read these

"Fur mites are a separate condition to Cheyletiella and much less well known. They usually affect skin on the back towards the tail,and probably travel in hay and straw"

"If your bunny develops problems with mites (or ringworm and fleas for that matter) you will need to treat the rabbit's home andbedding. Cheyletiella in particular can survive in the environment (e.g. hutches made from unsealed wood) and re-infect the bunny"

If we have to sterilise the hutch what is the best thing to use?

Canthese mites cross from Treacle and infest Waffles?

Cheers

Dave

My rabbit (Starsky) had Cheyletiella - Lacey never got them and she was with him the whole time. I also carried on using the hay and he never got them again. You could really do with a good vet to find out what sort of mite you are dealing with so you know how to treat it and what to do with the cage, etc. How is Treacle today?

Just to let everybody know.

Treacle looks like shewill recover after taking antibiotics,she is a lot brighter and gaining weight although slowly. The vet has given her another 5 days of anti-biotic just in case what ever she had doesn't return

He is still no clearer as to what she had but dosn't matter now she is fine

A friend of ours who works with rabbits and guinea pigs in a pet shop looked at both Waffles and treacle

Turns out what we thought where 6 week old bunnies 2 weeks ago are only approx 6 weeks old now and she told us the both may have slight gas as there belly's felt a bit "squidgy" and recomended a pro biotic for both of them and this should clear them out.

Thanks for all the replies

Dave

Oh bless, they are very young bunnies, I didn't think they were supposed to leave their moms until about 6 weeks. Their poor little tummies - make sure they are pooping regularly &properly.

Haley

Sorry for not posting an update sooner, busy man work and all that

Treacle is all better know, her fur is growing back and she just needs gain weight.

The Vet told me that he thought they where only 4 weeks when we got them which would put them at only seven weeks know and possibly treacle was a little younger and maybe from a different litter and thats why she is smaller than Waffles. He told me that because they were so young this is why theywhere having belly problems (gas) as well ,but this is alright now.

Treacle seems to becoming the dominent bunny always boxing waffles to get at the food and water bottle, not bad for the smaller bunny.

I will post some new photo's of waffles and treacle soon

Cheers

Dave

I was told that sometimes it can be stress that causes problems with fur when I spoke to the vet about my new rabbit.Especially if the poor little things were taken from mom too soon.
Glad to hear she is on the mend and good on you for noticing and having them checked out. They are lucky to have such a great owner!

Glad to hear he's doing better! Sometimes they are just taken away from mom too soon and it can cause a lot of problems. Im really glad theyre OK.

On another note, did the vet sex them for you? They will be reaching sexual maturity pretty soon here, and you want to be sure you dont have a boy and a girl...

The Vet thinksthere both girls but can not be sure because they are so young

I will letting a friend have a look over the next few weeks she works with rabbits and guinea pigs in a local pet shop

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back