Sick Bun, No Vet until Next week

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattiemattiesrattery

Reaction score
I got my Buns, Sunday the 27th of this month.

Well They're happy in a clean cage and litter box for a change, have lots of hay *which they are lovin'*

They eat their food greatly, their Carrots *only two small peices smaller then the size of my Pinky* Their Hay, and they play with the Salt and Mineral toys that I was givien with them.

Well LambChop, is all rattly in his chest and sneezes alot.
I've been giving him a severely watered down pedialyte in his water bottle. And a VERY small pinch of Amoxicillian. The people I got them from said they've givin their rabbits Amoxicillian for years with no problems.
And that mixture so far has made Black Knight *LambChop's Cage mate* stop his sneezing all together.

Any ideas on what I can do until his appointment next week?

Don't give amoxicillin orally to rabbits. The people who have given their rabbits antibiotics for years are not raising healthy rabbits and have passed the problem on to you. This is not responsiblerabbitbreeding.:X

Salt/mineral toys are not necessary for rabbits.

LambChop's breathing can be eased with a vaporizer. The "cold" symptoms canprogress to pneumonia. Because this is a serious health concern, it's important that it is addressed by the vet ASAP.

Pam

NO AMOXYCILLAN!!! I don't care what these "people" said, it is still a fact that oral amoxycillan kills the beneficial bacteria in rabbit digistive tracts that are very, very necessary. Last fall, a forum member who lives near me lost a young, healthy rabbit who had been given one dose of amoxycillan as a post-spay antibiotic. It won't kill 100% of rabbits but it kills quite a few and is too dangerous to use!

Now that's out of the way, is there any way you could get him into a vet sooner? I'm guessing your buns are babies since you just got them (although an age would help) and baby buns are pretty fragile. It sounds like a URI with the sneezing although the rattley chest could indicate pneumonia which is even worse. It really should be treated ASAP. If you have to, call around to other vets. If they're not familiar with rabbits, see if they'll at least prescribe an average dose of Baytril (most common rabbit antibiotic although becoming overused) based on their weight. Both buns should be treated because the other one is sneezing also. Then consult with a better rabbit vet once you can get in to ensure they are getting the most appropriate treatment.

Oh, and call the people you got the buns from and let them know about the URI. Their siblings, mom, and other rabbits may also need treatment.

Good point Pamnock! The frequent use of antibiotics can cover the symptoms of infections like URIs without fully treating them. And if they're still breeding the rabbits that had gotten infected at some point, then they're breeding rabbits with decreased resistance to infections and continuing the problem into the next generation.

They give theirs large doses of it.
I did read that it was bad, I has hoping it would be ok, as a short term, and in a small spot, enough to help them with out hurting them.
It's only literally two pinches in their water bottle. It's a very large water bottle.
I'll change their water now and wash it out to get the residue out of it.
Is the Pedialyte ok?

Well, LambChop the sick one is 6months to a year *I have to wait for the people to get me their papers (it was lostin a file cabinet*

And Knight Shade is I think they said two years. but I'm not really sure.

I told them that I read it was bad and I let them know my Bunbuns are sick.
So they are on the look out for theirs.

But their doing much better now that their Cage is clean, and they have a good food source and Hay and all that ^_^

I don't trust the other vets around here much, but I do have two that are goodish under My Preferred vet.

Yep only the vet can really let you know what is causing the sneezing. Never good to mess with antibiotics around rabbits, but you are doing the best you can. Keep sick bun warm but not too warm, check the hay is not too dusty, could be irritating him, might contribute to the sneezing.

Plenty of water is really important but in this situation, I can only guess that there is no life threatening issues yet and you are doing everything you can.

Keep an eye on your sick buns poop, its a brilliant indication of a buns health...should be fuller sized drops that are not at all shriveled or tiny and hard.

If you can spend time holding bun close to you for a while, maybe while you are watching tv or whatever and often you can get a feel for how they are doing.:D

Latest posts

Back