Shy Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
Athena is sooo shy. I know I need to give hertime. But is there anything I can do to help her find her confidence.It's like she's torn. She jumps up on the couch and nudges me until Ipet her. But she flinches each time I touch her. Poor girl. I feel badbecause Apollo has adjusted so well and she's having a harder time ofit. I also haven't been able to spend alot of time with her the past 2days because my son broke his finger and I feel so bad. Any thoughtsand ideas will be sooo appreciated. I should mention Athena is only 2months old.

Tina

Welcome dajeti2,

She'll get used to you as you spend time with her. I find ithelpful to feed them at the same time each day, this builds trust, talkto her alot so she gets used to your voice and yourpersonality. Sit on the floor so she can come up to you andget familiar with your smell, touch, etc.

My rabbit was shy with me for about the first 6-8 months of hislife. Now, he follows me around like a shadow. Itjust takes patience and time.

-Carolyn

When I first Mocha at 6 weeks old, he could havecared less about me, all he wanted to do was play and run andeverything, now he is quite content to come to me. I got Spice at 2 or3 months old and he was extremely shy because he hadn't been handledmuch for the first part of his life, but time, patience, and love willwin their heart over sooner or later!

Laura

To everyone, do your bunnies let you pick themup? Sherman will let me pet him, pat him, scratch his neck,play with his ears, etc., everything EXCEPT let me pick himup.

I know that some bunnies simply don't like to be picked up, but I was hoping that he would mellow a little. :(

Tucker's not too into being picked up either,BunnyMommy.

He tolerates it, and has mellowed out a bit in his years, but not tothe point whereI could hold him for hours. Some do,some don't. Hard to tell; it's all in the personality and ifthey were handled when they were babies.

-Carolyn

Bunny don't like to be pick up too.
When I'm trying to pick him up he runs away and he's trying to kick me. I hope that one day he'll let me do this.;)

My bunny use to love being picked up and cuddledwhen she was a baby, then out of no where she decided she didn't likeit anymore. Now whenever I try to pick her up she gets mad &kicks me & runs away. I wish she'd let me pick her up again :(

~pam

Pamela227,

Your bunny will let you pick her up again, just be patient!!! Myrabbits go through times when they don't want to be held so I just petthem. It's better to do what your rabbit likes then to do what you like.

Lissa, BlueBelle, and CupCake

Pam227 and everyone else who's bun's have decidedthey are completly "I'am fine on my own MOM " Thishappened to me to, I was so distressed-now Jade (4-5 months will let mepick her up again and assume the trance position) but as far as Jezebelis concerned she will have nothing to do with it~BUT

Here is a trick that works for me, if I scoop up her bottom in one handwhile propping the other hand under her arms in front she loves thismode of transportation for small fleeting moments of time-say from oneside of the living room to the other! I have no explanation for it,since any other type of "picking up" only results in a I MUSTFLEE FOR MY LIFE reaction from her. I am hoping she might turn out tobe one of those front knapsack carry along bunnys like BuckJones's girl....*crossing fingers and toes on that one* (tiss Buck'scorrect?)

OH MY GAWWWWWWD I said my bunny has arms??

Cher

I'll have to try your method HB104.. not sure howwell it will work tho she's a lil brat lol. She has no problem climbingall over me & laying down next to me snuggling, just doesn'tlike to be picked up anymore I kinda gave up trying :?

LOL I'd love to be able to carry her around in a backpack like that too!

~pam

Thank you everyone. I was so worried I was doingsomething wrong. Last night she went over to my son who was laying onthe floor watching tv and started grooming his head. The look on myson's face was priceless lol. It was also very cute. I didn't thinkabout it til it was too late to grab the camera.

Athena can't stand to be picked up. Apollo actually likes to be pickedup and carried. HE'll come up to me and try and climb up my leg if Idon't pick him right away. I got in the habit of rocking himlikea baby. Now if I don't do it he'll keep nudging my armtil I do. My buns are so spoiled lol.

Naww, you bunnies are not spoiled-they are justvery lucky to have such a concerned and caring MOM as yourself ;)~Ilove the nudge, its a "hullo?"" I am HERE, I am HERE and Iluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv you !"

Cher

I second Cher's comments, Tina! You'reobviously a great bunny mom and Athena knows it! (I simplylove that name, by the way! :))

Latest posts

Back