Showing REW's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
I have heard at a couple different shows that some/many judges don't like the REW's in certain breeds. One in particular I heard was REW french lops many judges aren't fans of them but that being said they shouldn't mark any defaults on their opinion of a color they don't like right??

I just had a litter of AFL's and 2 are REW and wondering if they do turn out nice would they not do well on a table because they are REW's??

I know keeping white rabbits clean and looking good is harder but the judges here what are your opinions on showing the REW's in breeds that aren't usually shown in that color? I have been to about a dozen shows and haven't seen a REW fuzzy lop at any show. what are your opinions?

I'm not a judge, however, I've never heard that some judges' disliked the REW in certain breeds... Why would they? That's kind of strange.

Anyway, I think you should give it a go and see how they do. The judges' have to judge the rabbits, no matter what color. ;) Rabbits shouldn't not do well on the table just because they're REW's....that's like bunny-racism. :p

Emily

Maybe it's not so much that they don't like the color, but genes linked to the color? Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember hearing someone say that REW fur can have a slightly more coarse texture compared to other colors in the same breed.

All judges have color preferences, just like the exhibitors do. But that's no reason to cull a rabbit just because it's of a certain color.

I'll give you an example within my breed- Holland Lops. Black tortoise is generally the most commonly exhibited color and in general, is the most established, well-typed color.

Some judges will throw any other color off the table first thing, regardless of type, simply because they don't like color in the breed or don't think that color is worthy of competing.

Other judges will accept color, but will be VERY strict about CORRECT color, and anything at all questionable is DQ'ed or thrown off with a NP.

Then some judges are all about color. They see a nice color and place it in the top just because it's not tort.

Judges are only human, and we all have our preferences. Yes, they *should* judge with an unbiased opinion, but they can't- none of us are unbiased. So that's why I'd never assume I had an excellent rabbit based on one judge's opinion and I'd never assume I had a crappy one if one judge didn't like it. Breed for yourself, according to the standard. And type will determine success overall. :)

It's not the color - it's the quality. You simply don't see many good quality REW's in some breeds - lops, for example.

Pam

Back