Showing Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmerlin2010

Reaction score
I went to a show recently, and really enjoyed it. (I had never been to one, and this on was only 5 mins. away from my house) Until now, I have just had Panda & Houdini as pets, and neither are showable. (Panda is a mini lop/mini Rex mix, and Houdini doesn't have the dwarfing gene) But now I think it would be really fun to have a rabbit and do shows with it. I noticed lots if rabbits for sale there, and I am assuming that they would be show quality. So what does everyone think? Are the ones for sale at shows show quality? Should I get another rabbit? (I have enough space and money to care for one, and really want another!:biggrin2:), so what are your thoughts?

Are there any pets shows around where you can enter pet rabbits just for fun? You could enter your two and see how it goes, see if you like it and all, and then try getting a show quality one?

Not all rabbits at shows are of "show quality" some are, some are brood animals and somd are pets, I would suggest research the breed you are interested in and talk talk talk to breeders and then decide on a animal and I would suggest to purchase the best animal you can get your hands so this one animal will allow u to have a strong competative line he/she may be costly depending on the breed but make it well worth it in the end.

I agree with tobi. Usually the sign will say pet quality or you can also tell by the prices. (Although with some breeds this isnt always true) Like if you find a mini rex for sale as 10 dollars it is probably pet quality for show you could be anywhere from 50-100 at a regular show. Conventions always make the prices increase.

Having one breed to try out showing is what I did. I ended up with a pair or tans, one was a brood doe and the little junior buck i would be able to show before having to breed him. And rocky i got to show and he has done really well.

I always like to start with bucks and its easier because you arent racing against the clock with showing and breeding. With does you want to get her bred before she turns a year and some rabbits arent in their prime showing condition till they hit senior. This can also be difficult because you may not have a buck for her to pair with. And we all know some does just cant come back to the show world after a litter.

I have one more question.. I know you can't usually show rabbits that are neutered, so if I were to get a male to show, would his temperament be good? (I guess it kind of depends on the rabbit, but in general?)
Thanks everyone!

Aw you should try a standard rex they're just as sweet, less popular, and less competitive, and they have the rex coat!

I am trying to choose between a standard and mini. I was leaning more to a mini, because of space, but then realised it dosn't matter, because I build outdoor hutches, so they can be as big as I need! :p so now I am thinking standard, cause my other bunnies are both small, and it would be fun to have a bigger one. Also, less competitive would be nice!

at the show did you see the standard rex? i mean here in texas they're a dying breed which is good because people will basically give them away to a new competitor but sometimes bad because it might only be you two on the table. It depends on how many standards yall have in ohio

i agree with Tobi and say talk to the breeders and introduce yourself! Tell them you were thinking about showing the breed and im sure they would love to answer any questions and tell you their opinions and experiences! Standards can be very sweet bunnies

That sounds like what I will do! I belive I will be going to a show this weekend, so I hopefully will have some luck there! (I asked for the catalog, and it said that there will be rex's) so I will be talking to the breeders there!:biggrin2:

Something that helped me last year was to talk to some breeders who didn't have rabbits for sale and ask them to show me rabbits that they would recommend (that were for sale). I had three breeders looking at holland lops with me and then explaining what I should look for, etc.

I was really pleased by their help and my doe that I got due to their recommendations took 2 best of breed awards as a junior.

A breeder who is selling the bunny wants to sell the bunny so they're more apt to point out only the good points. That's why I suggest asking a couple of breeders who aren't selling!

First I would say if your mother is allergic do not go with her because a 10min trip to a show can turn into hours and you want to beable to spend as much time talking and absorbing information from breeders, the more information the better. Here in the east coat mini Rex are HUGE and very competative standard rex we only get a few at each show. both are very sweet rabbits as long as they are bred correctly in every bred there are mean and nice rabbbits it just depends on the lines, so make sure you ask how is the rabbits additude! I personally prefer buck over does I only show my bucks and the does stay home and make me babies I will only show a doe if she is a excellent rabbit. YOu also have the ability to go to the Ohio Mini Convention where I know you will beable to find some excellent quality rabbits if you want to wait another 2mnts (I personally would if I were you) If you do decide on Mini Rex I can PM you a girls name that is the best mni Rex breeder in the US her animals are pricey but well worth it if you want to get started on the right foot!

Latest posts

Back