showing pet rabbits..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnihun

Reaction score
I am relatively new in the world of rabbits buthave beenwell and truly nibbled by it. How would I go aboutshowing a pet rabbit?What woulda judge look for ina pet bunny? Do they have to be well behaved? pretty?perfect?or just have that special something? Do youhave to trim nails andflufffuretc. or arethey just judged asthey come?

I think my two are just the best bunnies in the world! Though I'm sureevery rabbitmamma thinks that. Does anyone know where I would find outwhere my nearest show would be held and how do I go about gettting moreinfo? I live in the southwest of the UK.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I tried to put my buns into a show,butI was too old. You can't show a pet rabbit unless your 18and under :( Or at least thats how it works here in Canada.

Your rabbit will be judged the same way a purebred would be I believe.

So your rabbits will have to get used to being on their backs, as the judge will want to see their bellies, genitals, feet, etc.

Dwarf_Angel04, Pamnock or someone else who has show experience should be able to help you better.

Surely, there cant be ageismintheworld of show bunnies? They musthave a sectionforsofty middle aged women who love rabbits?I dontknow the age of everyone on this board but I get the feeling I am notthe only 30 something on here!

Please someone tell methe under 18 thing is a big whooper of an untruth.

Canada has some sanctioned ARBA shows and there are also many rabbit shows in the UK where adults can exhibit their rabbits.

For shows in Canada, check out the show listing on the American RabbitBreeders Association Website. UK shows are held by theBritish Rabbit Council. The organizations have "breedstandards" that explain the requirements for every breed.

There are not many shows for adults to exhibit mixed breed rabbits though.

Pam

Here in the USat least, they have 4-H shows (ages 7-18, I believe), as well as openshows which are for anyone wanting to enter.

In open shows they judge them basedon the Standard of Perfection... which is basically an outline of everybreed of rabbit if they were to all be "perfect."

They're judged on everything fromtheir body type, length, weight.. to the size of their eyes, the colorof their fur, the texture of their fur, ear length, etc.Typically they aren't judged on personality, however, if a rabbit bitesthe judge, I believe they can bedisqualified.

In open show, they also have to be of a specificbreed to be entered. (You can enter them into whatever breed they fitthe best if they are a crossbreed, nobody checks the pedigrees oranything... though they maynot do very well)

Hope that helps

Hmmmmm nipping judges!!!!!!I'm certainmy little darlings wouldn't do that, but if they won arosette..well............. I think they may try andhave alittle nibble.

ttrkyra wrote:
Typicallythey aren't judged on personality, however, if a rabbit bites thejudge, I believe they can bedisqualified.

The rule actually addresses uncontrollable/viciousaggression. When judging, I take into account that it mayhave been a long day, the animals are stressed and there are new smellsand hormonal behavior running rampant. Also, some breeds havemore of a tendency to bite than others.

The judge needs to be aware of these factors and take them into accountwhen handling the rabbits to avoid being bitten. Wearing alab coat when judging has protected me from being bit numerous times,however, I don't have it on during extremely hot weather or very longshows when my coat has been soiled -- and I often end up changing intoan apron.

Fingers and arms aren't the only areas at risk -- numerous judges havebeen bitten in the side when carrying rabbits (My show coat saved mefrom a nasty bite wound on my side). I also had a CheckeredGiant doe lunge at me and bite my shoulder through a heavy coat -- itsure left a nice bruise! Some rabbits may also lunge at yourface or neck.

Getting kicked is another "job risk", so judges have to avoidpositioning the rabbit with it'sback feet toward their chestor face when turning the rabbit over and examining it.

Pam

Back