Showing/Breeding Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephira

Reaction score
Hey all! I am a new bunny mommy and I am very curious about what the requirements are to show, breed, and/orregisterthem. My bunnies were a gift and I nevergot to talk to the person that sold them!

I'm wondering if it's similar to dogs and cats--where unless you buy/adopt them already registered, you can't do so later. I have two very young Dutch females (5 weeks) and I don't know very much about that breed. I've done some reading here, but am interested in getting some other opinions and information.

Also, can anyone tell me if my buns look 'right' for being Dutchies or if they're mixed with something else. Sorry for all the questions!! :blushan:

3241810526_bd700b9cac.jpg

3274995858_1d23281188.jpg

3240297764_ddfb5441e8.jpg

They are definately pure Dutch. The main thing with a Dutch is their markings and I'm no expert on that- could tell you the DQs but not necessarily what a "great" Dutch needs in detail. Do you buns have a pedigree? If so, and they do not have any DQs then your buns could be registered later (they have to make Senior weight).

Hmm.... Thanks for that info! I don't have a pedigree for them, but maybe I could find the person that sold them to my boyfriend for the gift and get it from her. It's good to know that Imight be able to register them later on, too.

Starlight (Sharon) could tell you more about the Dutch markings. They have to be very precise to be "right". No white where it's not supposed to be. Blazes straight, saddles straight, Stops (boots on the back feet) not too high, not too low...LOL! Dutch are a tough breed to show because markings are 50% of the judging.

No, rabbits are not like dogs and cats. You can put any rabbit on a table to be judged, as long as you know the breed, age and sex. Registration comes later on after the rabbit is at it's adult weight. (That's when you need the pedigree! You don't need one for showing.) The rabbit has to be tattooed in it's left ear. (You can usually get someone to help you out with that.)

Breeding is up to you. You should make sure they are not closely related.

Your babies are really, really young. 5 weeks is really too young to be away from the mother. Take really good care of them and give them time to grow up. (And your photo's of them are truely wonderful, but I wouldn't let any of my 5 week old babies on the ground. They are so young and can pick up a lot of bacteria and diseases that may not affect an older bunny.)

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the info!

When I joined this forum was when I found out that they are waaaayy too young. (Btw I LOVE RO!!) I would have asked my boyfriend to bring them back, if I knew then what I've learned from here. They were actually 3 1/2 weeks when I was given them as a late Christmas present!!!! :tears2: Apparently the girl who sold them to my boyfriend did not know what she was doing in regards to age!!

They live inside only and I've taken them outside to get someplay-time a few times. The other times they are in my room in their cage or running around. I also have a small fenced-in area in the living room that I put them in--it has two cool cardboard box hide-aways that they love! (Now that you've cautioned me about bringing them out--I will certainly wait until they are older!!!)

They are sweet little babies and I really am enjoying the experience of raising them. On a side note... I guess I just wind up getting all my animals at really young ages (by chance). I rased my cats from newborns; my Shih-Tzu was only 4 weeks when I got him; and now I have Mika and Sasha! Weird... :twitch:

PS -- BlueGiants, that is a BIG bunny you're holding!!! Whew!

Your photography is really excellent. Good luck with them, they are very sweet looking. You must have a knack for raising the really young ones!

BlueGiants wrote:
Your photography is really excellent. Good luck with them, they are very sweet looking. You must have a knack for raising the really young ones!
Thank you for the compliment!! Photography is a hobby of mine that I really enjoy. I love to take pictures of all my animals. I will be taking more of them inside very soon.

You are right--both of them are little sweethearts!

If you post photos of the rabbits from all angles, we could point out any DQ's. We'll also need photos of the belly with the rabbit in a normal position on its back (not stretched out). I suspect that one isn't showable. The saddle looks to be very far forward, so one or both front legs are probably "tied" (a DQ where there is color over the elbow).

The other one appears to be rather well marked.

Pam

Do you know if you have boys or girls? If they are the same age, I would imagine that they are littermates, which of course would rule out breeding, these two at any rate. You will need to separate them by about nine weeks or so unless they are the same sex, because they will start breeding. Rabbits do not go into heat, they can get pregnant at any time and it only takes a matter of seconds for it to happen.

If you are truly interested in getting into showing and breeding, then you have certainly come to the right place for help! To be a responsible breeder, many many hours of research, hard work, and "shopping" around for the best breeding stock will start. Breeding can be a wonderful experience and a ton of fun, but it can also be heartbreaking when something goes wrong. Basically, you have to be prepared for about anything, LOL. Good luck, and I can't wait to see more pics of your sweet little Dutchies!

Hi and thanks for responding!

From what I was told and what I can tell on the bunnies, they are both girlies. I would possibly be interested in breeding them, but I am still mulling it over. Decisions, decisions!! LOL! If I don't breed them I will definitely have them spayed--I've read so much here that talks about how harmful it can be for the bunnies if they don't mate and are not spayed.

This site is a gem for us first-timers!! :D

Something that would be helpful to you is to attend a rabbit show. It has been so long since I have shown, I don't have links to the show listings anymore, but you can probably find it online without to much trouble. Watch for the Dutch to be shown, and ask the judge if he/she would mind going over with you what they are looking for in a show-worthy Dutch. You could even try entering one or both of your girls once they are old enough, and that will be a big help to you in finding out if your does are show/breeding quaility.

ETA: I forgot to mention, if you do show/breed your does, you will need to get them tattoed.

Your bunnies are soooo cute! It is excellent photography! I am glad you are learning so much here. I learned so much from RO when I first joined. I am glad you love it here too!

Aly!:)

Latest posts

Back