Show results

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayhara

Reaction score
I want to start by saying Sorry this is so long! lol
Well we went to the maquoketa show. It was a ton of fun. Even though I only had four hours of sleep. I showed my two jr mini rex who I expected to do well. And four junior mini lops who I had mixed expectations of. Everyone I thought would do well, didn't, and those I thought would do badly did well. I learned a lot (this was only my second show), and have to say I love Mini lop people. They where all so nice, welcomed me in and made sure I had the bunnies up when I was suppose to. There was a lot of competition and two of the four held their own.
The one who did the worst was KA483 my broken blue chinchilla buck and it was simply because he is to young, he was born November 22nd. I should of waited and not brought him, but hey hes got a show under his belt. He placed 10 of 10 first show, said his head looks promising his nice ears and crown. Said his coat is a bit thin and he is a bit hollow in his hindquarters. 9 out of 10 second show ( I didn't realize he didn't take 10th till I got the card) said he had a good head, ears crown, was lacking a bit of depth and was a bit hollow in his hindquarters.
My home bred Alaska a Siamese sable born September 23rd fared no better, I knew before going in he would probably come in last, but I wanted to get the comments on him, so I knew what was good and what was bad. He placed 10 of 11 the first show with comments of a slipped crown, one creased ear and undercut hindquarters, but a good head, lol. The only reason he didn't place last was because one was DQ'd for toenails or something like that. The second show he placed 11 of 11. Apparently what ever the other buck was DQ'd for (maybe it was weight) they didn't catch it the second time (the tables where full and it was hard to hear what was going on sometimes). She also like his head width and depth, Said his type was flat and didn't say he was undercut but something about lacking depth in his hindquarters.
My favorite CT16 aka Dixon is a broken smoke pearl jr buck Born September 22nd didn't do as well as I would of hoped, but he is lacking in his body and his beautiful head and crown are only worth so much.
First show he placed 7 out of 10. First judge she really liked the definition and width of his crown, wouldn't like to see a bit wider face to balance it, that he had nice shoulders, a good midsection but hollow hindquarters. A fellow breeder commented that I should be sure to hold on to this one, he is a real nice buck. Also mentioned not to keep breeding the smoke pears together as it dilutes the color. I said he is the only one I have, and he said, wait till you start breeding him. Second show he placed six out of ten the comments where Good head, crown, Shoulders, and that his color was pretty. She also said that he had good width, but could use a little more depth and that his hindquarters where hollow.
CT7 my broken opal jr doe born September 22nd (no not same litter as Dixon) did much better then I thought she would in the first show. About what I thought she would do in the second show. First show she placed 3 out of 7! With comments of good head, shoulders, and hindquarters, a narrow crown, and not finished coat (she is just coming out of a molt). The second show she placed 6 out of 7. The judge said she had a narrow crown, lacking both depth and width (she does) but that she had a nice wide head, and good shoulders. During the second show she wouldn't stack up though. I think she is wanting to be bred, as lately even at home when I get her out to brush her (every day for the last week) she will present, flatten herself out and stick her butt up. The first show she didn't do it, she stacked up nicer then I had every gotten her to stack. The second show no matter how many times the judge tried she just kept flattening out, so maybe she would of done better had she cooperated, and maybe she isn't as bad as I thought.

Mini rex was a different story, the people acted like I wasn't there, I had to hear how terrible the "young" people who show rabbits these days are, and they specified that by young they didn't mean the kids, they meant the twenty - thirty year olds ( I am 28) because they don't belong to any clubs or help set up shows.
There where only three broken bucks shown in the open class.
My broken black buck born September 19th Dexter (DEX) took three of three. The first judge was nice, critiqued him and mentioned his bad areas (ears are a bit long, and a bit lacking in the hindquarters) as well as his good(head, shoulders, rise). He even commented that he not a bad buck, just not as good as the other two. The second said his type was long his shoulders where late, his hindquarters where undercut, his head was too wide and his ears too long. This is a buck I have had nothing but good things said about.
My doe on the other hand I wasn't even sure if I would keep (these are brother sister from my only, till today, Sr. Pair) But there where only two does, and she got only one bad comment from the first judge, (that she was a bit long) and he even commented that he loved her pattern ( I have always preferred DEX's pattern) and the second judge was not as critical of her as he was the buck either, though he did say she was undercut and that her shoulders where a bit long, making her to flat. He also said she had a nice pattern, and good head, ears. So now I am back on the fence about keeping her.
They both where freaking out in the second show though. I had been worried about Dexter (buck) jumping off the table as its a trick he likes to try at home, first show he sat perfect, stacked right up and didn't try to run off even once. Second show he was trying to run away before I even got him on the table, and he wouldn't stack up right and made like six breaks for it. He placed 3 out of 3 both times.The doe the second time was just uncooperative, she kept leaning to the side when he would try to pose her, and kept trying to hide back in her box. She placed 2 out of 2 both times. The turnout for youth mini rex was a lot bigger. I love my mini rex though, but next time if nothing else I will be bringing more of my own so at least there is some competition, other then two rabbits.

I brought home three new rabbits (though I had only planned on 1). A broken Siamese satin buck (the one I planned to get) that is unrelated to my current Satins. He is broken but has more then 70% color, so I don't think I can show him (havn't looked it up yet) but he will be awesome to get some more unrelated Siamese satin does, which can then be bred back to Buster ( my current buck). I can also breed him to Fancy ( my white satin) in June when she is old enough and then depending on what colors we get I might be able to finally find some completely unrelated Siamese satins for the people on my waiting list for babies that are unrelated to the ones they have already gotten from me.

My two extra bunnies started when my friend Lily who went with me fell in love with a pet quality Japanese Mini rex. She is pretty, though her ears alone keep her from being close to show quality. None the less Lily wanted this bunny, yet she couldn't have it where she lived. She didn't ask me to let her keep it there, but after watching her with the bunny,and seeing how much she wanted it, I offered to keep it at my house, with the stipulation that she buy a bag of food a month, and help me at rabbit shows ;)! She agreed. In talking to the owners of the doe and while Lily was playing with her I noticed a beautiful little tort buck. Now my mini rex are broken blacks, and black otters. I am pretty sure breeding to a tort is a no no, But I havn't checked that yet either, but I liked this guy. She showed him in youth and he took 4 of ??? not sure how many bunnies. Should of asked to see the result car, but we stood there while he was being judged and I was able to hear the judge as he looked him over. Only thing he didn't like about him was that he was maybe a little flat over the top. They where asking $30 for him and $15 for the doe lily wanted. She offered them $30 for both and they accepted. They where happy the doe was going to a good home, and honestly she won't be completely a cage decoration, as she has some cool coloring, and I have a pet store who would happily buy 4 bunnies every other month from me, and that is way more then I plan to breed her. So now we get home, and its... where are we putting the new bunnies?? I have three that are going to new homes at the end of the month, but that didn't help me now, lol! So we have one an old guinea pig cage, one in a big wire dog crate, and one of my jr, jr mini lops I moved to the big carrier we have (like Flemish giant sized carrier) and she will be okay there, till a more permanent solution is reached. Lily's boyfriend offered to help build cages, and building is what he does for a living, so I am excited for that.

If you want to see pictures of any of the bunnies you can see them on my website at
http://smithrabbitry.webs.com/

or on a previous thread on here at http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=70889&forum_id=8

Congratulations on your new buns. Sorry to hear about your mini lops. I actually liked your opal one the best but thought she needs more depth.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the mini rex people. I have mixed emotions about that crowd. I kind of agree that dexter is a little long. Could be in the shoulders but i think the midsection is a tad long. I like him MUCH better than the doe. Although a posed picture from each of them is missing. From the top i think her shoulders look a little narrow or a tad long. I am not liking how shes looking from that rear view though. Without a profile view idk about depth but from the rear she does look like she could use more depth.

Just use this as motivation to do better for the next show!

With each show you go to you gain more experience, one of the big things to remember is that the "OLD" show people will eventually retire and someone will have to carry on, they have no right to condemn about not being in a club. Apparently they have forgotten their own beginnings.

CCWelch wrote:
With each show you go to you gain more experience, one of the big things to remember is that the "OLD" show people will eventually retire and someone will have to carry on, they have no right to condemn about not being in a club. Apparently they have forgotten their own beginnings.

So true. You should be able to get positive answers to be able to continue to show. It's amazing how the "old" set forgets how they started.

I always thought you got more out of honey than vinegar. Encouragement is the answer. Not putting someone down because of certain opinions that have nothing to do with your bunny.

Some people just don't think. Keep going. You have everyone's support here. Make them eat their words. Learn from each show you do as CCWelch says. Don't let those who put you down stop you from participating.

K :)

Back