Show Results

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Briar86

Reaction score
Okay, i got home from a poultry/rabbit show today around three o' clock...here are the results:

Overall 27 firsts;

-11 firsts in poultry with 8 placing as Champion

-16 firsts in rabbits with three Champion placings_neth. dwarf, Houdini, My Pet Rabbit (based on rabbit knowledge) and a Reserve Champion meat pen w/ a trio of Californian juniors.

I did very well in poultry. The "excuses" i have for not doing as well as I'd hoped to w/ the Californians was because i have a 7 year old buck, a too-small doe and younger-than-perfection Californian rabbits (i couldn't breed when i wanted to for fair b/c Sweet Pea would have been four months rather than the six months i waited to breed her) The judge liked most of my three month old cali babies-saying they were promising, which means little to me. He also like my blue nethie...he said she had a nice body and a (again, the promise word) promising blue coat.

Another "excuse" i have for not doing as well was because I was flip flopping (basically running between two ends of a pavilion) between the rabbit and poultry shows which where going on at the same time. I concentrated 75% on the poultry (which paid off-lots of Champion placings and i learned a bunch) and 25% on the rabbit showing. Over 80% of the time i wasn't showing my own rabbits-i had a cousin do it for me. A few times when i had the time between poultry showing I'd pull the judge aside w/ my two or three rabbits I'd shown and ask him if he'd mind retelling what he thought of my animals.

VERY stressful day b/c of how many animals i showed and flip flopping between the two shows. I would have forgotten to eat lunch (i already forgot breakfast) if it wasn't for my cousin forcing some Dairy Queen down my throat. LOL

I'm dead-tired, my feet hurt and a little disappointed...I have a hard time knowing that i could've done better-now i have over $135 from showing today and can buy the three breeding rabbits and chickens that I've been wanting!

Ellie

:energizerbunny:<---this is how i felt.....i was running on auto-pilot all day!

I always consider it a successful show when I've learned something new or have been able to help someone out.

Congrats on a wonderful Fair!

Pam

Thanks, Pipp and Pam. I learned a LOT. Not only about my own rabbits and their faults, which surprisingly were minor,the judgesaid, no major faults; I learned a LOT about chickens!

Ellie and the Buns

[align=center]
32958104.gif
[/align]
[align=center]
32666075.gif
e.gif
l.gif
l.gif
i.gif
e.gif
[/align]
I volunteered once at a cat show when I was a young teenager. I was very surprised at the way the judges handled the animals and got yelled at because I thought the way they were stretching them out looked cruel and I guess I mumbled that a bit too loud next to the judging ring. LOL

Great job with the chickens and buns! Do you think you'll dedicate yourself to one or the other at the next show?

Elf Mommy wrote:
Do you think you'll dedicate yourself to one or the other at the next show?
Probably not, I love showing both so much! I breed nubian goats, delaware and partridge rock chickens, African geese and californian and netherland dwarf rabbits. The hardest and most work-requiring to breed are the rabbits because of all the faults you can run in to (for me at least).

For the chickens, you just pick your best roosters and match them with your best hensand pick the chicks you want to keep for future breeding/showing (minimal record keeping). It's easier w/ the chickens because conformation is easier to look at (once you know your breed well) and the stuff you need to know is very easy to pick out and identify as good or bad trait.

The goats are easier for me because i'm used to livestock and what is acceptable.

Once I get my good does and bucks lined up for my rabbitry I know it'll be a lot easier!

Another thing is, this was a "trail" run for this time of show. Last year they were on seperate days. I'm going to leave a pretty strong suggestion for how this was run this year! :disgust:

Ellie

I hope they are open to your suggestions. I'm sure you aren't the only one who raises both of them and was torn between the two parts of the show.

Yeah there was a couple other people that raised both...a few of them stuck mostly to their rabbits though--they didn't have many chickens to show.

I forgot to mention this--in a couple classes a boy showed a four week old rabbit!!!!:shock::shock::shock:......the rabbit LITERALLY still had milk on his lip whenever he took it to it's junior class to be shown! What i'm wondering is why they risked loosing a litter by showing the lactating mom and bringing her kits along...

Ellie

Back