show question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may only earn one leg per show, as I understand it. So the leg would be certified for the biggest win you had- whether it's a group win or a show win.

wooly_queen is correct about altering the appearance but also, the MR are probably not show quality if you're needing to cut their hair.

ok I was curious. no so we will not cut the hair. yes they are both show quality. the babies dont seem to carry the gene.

yes I meant RIS. I have seen in BRIS though somewhere idk. they give it at both my fairs for 4H/FFA. I didn't get to stay for the open one they hadn't even got to it when we were checking out some of the rabbits. My BOB won't count there were only two of us With three rabbits. there was supposed to be 4 of us with 5 rabbits but the other two didn't show up to the table.

BRIS just stands for Best Reserve in Show, it's the same thing as RIS. ;) I think they add the B, because there is BIS, which would be Best in Show. Make sense? Different shows/fairs call it different things.

Emily

found this

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Granding-Holland-Lops.htm
Legs can be awarded for first place in a class competition (such as solid senior bucks or broken junior does), Best of Variety or Group, Best Opposite Sex of Variety or Group, Best of Breed and Best Opposite Sex in an ARBA sanctioned show. Your rabbit can also win a leg by winning Best in Show, but by then, he or she has probably already picked up a leg along the way! Strangely enough, Best Reserve in Show does not earn a leg and BRIS wins will not be listed on your legs.
Andd this. . . Directly from the back of a leg

1. Wins first in a class providing there are 5 or more animals exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.
  2. Wins Best of Breed providing there are 5 or more exhibited in the breed by 3 or more exhibitors.
  3. Wins Best Opposite Sex of Breed providing there are 5 or more as the same sex as the winner exhibited in the breed by 3 or more exhibitors.
  4. Wins Best of Group providing there are 5 or more exhibited in the group by 3 or more exhibitors.
  5. Wins Best Opposite Sex of Group providing there are 5 or more as the same sex as the winner exhibited in the group by 3 or more exhibitors.
  6. Wins Best of Variety providing there are 5 or more exhibitors in the variety by 3 or more exhibitors.
  7. Wins Best Opposite of Variety providing there are 5 or more as the same sex as the winner exhibited in the variety by 3 or more exhibitors.
  8. Wins Best in Show providing there are 5 or more animals in the show exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.
  9. Leg for Grand Champion may only be awarded at an official ARBA sanctioned show.
  10. Leg for Grand Champion is to be furnished to the exhibitor by the show secretary within 30 days of conclusion of show.
  11. Rabbits must be judged by a licensed ARBA Rabbit judge.
  12. Only 1 leg of Grand champion may be awarded to the same animal for the same show.
On the leg it says exhibited and it does count the entries. But if they were no show isn't the rabbit scratched in which there would be only be the number of rabbits on the table that would be equal to the number of rabbits in the class?
Sorry if thats confusing. . But im pretty sure the leg wont count because the rabbits should have been scratched

btw that sounds like a really small mini rex show?

For the long hair MR theres nothing wrong with putting the rabbit on the table and trying to get comments. if the babies dont carry the long hair then im assuming you breed for type. if your looking to get just comments you could always ask the judge to give you some if they didnt give much in the show.

Thanks that helps alot. Yeah it was 4H/FFA but we had a certified ARBA Judge, John Soper. An amazing judge. IDK what taylor breeds for, the long hairs are hers but none of the babies seem to have long hair, at least not from the ones that were at they fair, 2 or 3 were already gone. I even asked the judge to look at the baby I bought. she was 7 weeks old he said she was very nice. the only thing worrying is she still had alot of blue, she is a castor, but she is growing out of that and cominging into the castor color really nicely, at least I hope so she is my first castor.

crystal

Almost all breeds have a variety or group. The group is based on the coat colors. Breeds such as the Jersey Wooly and the netherland dwarf can win Best of Group. It's award to the best shaded, broken,self etc.

Variety is essentially the same award although there is only one variety such as the best black mini rex.

John Soper did not judge the showmanship well. He told a leader that "If I give the champion to the girls who show arba, than they will stop studying. I'm giving it to the other kids who might not have a chance to win" It was rather insulting to get beat out by a novice when I did nothing wrong in showmanship. The statesman award is a huge award and it should be given to a girl who only shows up on showmanship day and is gone the rest of the time show her horse.

Apparently the cavies were messed up too (same judge) I don't think Dana's going to bring him back.

Taylor only has one pedigreed rabbit I believe. So the babies she sells are not fully pedigreed. She hasn't shown ARBA so I don't know how they've done in competition.

As far as coat, you need to wait until the babies get their adult coats to tell.

You can register a rabbit that is six months old, meets senior weight, has a full pedigree (including names weights tattoos and colors), and no DQs. The breeder needs to be a member of ARBA.

For the most part, the only reason why you should register is if the rabbit has qualified for a Grand Champion certificate (when it earns three legs)

A rabbit can only win one leg per show. So if it gets BOV and BOB it will only get the highest awarded leg

Is that what happened with showmanship? wow I asked but never got an answer. Thats pretty upsetting I did my class then went and got dinner so i didnt know what happened. I know he did really well with quality. but other than that I messed up alot with my showmanship. Thanks the info helps alot. Tay told me she doesn't have any pedigreed rabbits but sheis looking at some. I got a really nice pedigreed female for$5 because the lady didn't want her anymore. I have been talking to her original ownerwho sold her to the lady I got her from. She was sooo excited to see her again. she should kindle the end of thiscoming week or the begining of the following range 14-20 thats giving her extra days. yay. lol.

I'm curious at ARBA shows do you have to stay with your rabbits? you know like show up every day and at least check your rabbits? I know at the open show alot of people didn't and maybe showed up the day of show and to drop them off and pick them up. maybe its just me but I don't think thats right or fair. Idk I'm very protective of my rabbits though (especially since someone told me as a first year I shouldn't be winning anything and its not fair to those who have done it for years)so maybe its just me.

Thats not fair to you guys you guys did really good and studied alot and I know you guys would never stop studying even if you did win. You have worked hard to get to where you are and its not fair to suggest that you would give up cause of one win. thats life I guess, life isn't fair.

anyway a little off topic but oh well. I am gonna get registered and get my doe pixie registered she has a full ped and many GC in her Background. I am also going to get my rabbitry reg. Amanda Jo is going to help me out. Yay for friends.

Nice talking to you Gwen.

Crystal

ARBA shows are usually only one day long. People generally arrive before 9 am and stay until 5 or 6. The die-hards help clean up and go out for dinner afterwards.

Unlike fair, you aren't leaving them in a coop. You bring your own carriers for your rabbits to stay in for the day. No need to worry about your rabbits since you'll be will them the whole time.

Shows are definitely an all day thing so don't plan anything else the day you go. Are you planning to go to the Ontario show? There's a mini rex specialty so you know the judge will know the breed.

No I wish but my baby sister could be here any day so we decided to lay off showing till spring. so i'll be showing then as long as its not a school day as I will be in college then. lol busy busy life. I am excited for this coming year I have 5 mini rex right now with kits on the way end of this week or begining of next. I bred my nice pedigreed female to my BOB/BRIS black broken buck Rhett. Do you remember him? He was right above one of your Jersey Wollies at the open show. But I have to find more carriers as I only have one 3 hole carrier right now and have alot more rabbits coming next year. I am also looking at more mini rex rabbits. The original owner of pixie is gonna help me find a really nice castor buck for my castor doe summer the one I got from Tay. She is really nice and I hope to get a really nice buck breed them get a nice kit and have a herd with them next year. I hope to have several herds next year. Hopefully all plans go well.

Crystal

Latest posts

Back