show me your fluffy buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragynflye

Reaction score
does your rabbit look like a living, breathing dust bunny? do you have people ask you, "is it real??" if you have fluffy buns, post them here!

my first ever rabbit was a fuzzy lop. i love lionheads. i have a jersey wooly. someday, i may be brave enough for an english angora!

i just posted new pics of rue yesterday, so i'll spare y'all. can't wait to see more floofy bunnies!

ahem...you KNOW I'll post pics of "Sir Elton Bun" who I know you've seen a bazillion times already lol.

14458_160030_480000000.jpg
Well
14458_041521_500000000.jpg

14458_160030_490000001.jpg

14458_111215_210000000.jpg

14458_252136_540000000.jpg

14458_072027_120000000.jpg

And BABY Elton!

14458_061522_490000000.jpg

I LUVS me sum Elton snuggles....My husband says, "He's the ugliest freakin rabbit I've ever seen....but still cute" haha...He's binkying as I type this...nothing like seein a 4 pound mop airborn!

What breed is Elton? He's so adorable. My Duke looks just like him except he has small pointy ears that aren't lop ears. Can you help me with grooming? How do you prevent mats? How do you remove mats?

This is my Houdini. He is an English Angora. The rascue group cut his hair really short so he's in the process of growing it out.

001-1.jpg

I love it as a mowhawk
015.jpg

003-1.jpg

006.jpg

Asfor grooming, I use a rake that is made for cats (short metal, but rounded teeth in a streight line) and a plastic comb that is standard barber shop for people. I rake him out first since the teeth are far apart to get anything big or hay out. Then I use the fine tooth comb to break up any little matts before they have a chance to form. I'm saving his wool to be spun so I like combing it out.

I comb him out twice a week. Pay special attention to legs and behind the ears because that is what tends to matt first. He's very good about keeping the poo out of his fur. I think it also helps that I have a high powered fan going across the one end of their house. He loves to sit infront of the fan and have it blow the fur back.

Oh my gawd they're so darn cute!

Duke is afraid of the metal combs... He doesn't like the feel of it. I use a plastic comb but it doesn't work as well... Getting frustrating (for both of us!) because he is matting on his rump and small ones on his side. Behind his neck, around his head and on his belly: he's fine.

Go slow, work the knots out from the ends of the hair in, detangling as you go. I think the fine toothed plastic combs are better than wide because they are easier to menuver and can tease apart the strands better.

If it is really matted then you may have to cut it out. Please be VERY careful if you use scisors since bunny skin is so paper thin. Don't cut clear down to the surface. You can cut half out and hopefully tease the rest apart. It might be better to have your vet or a groomer clip the matts out with an electric shaver instead. Prevention is really the best way to go about it before the tangles turn into mats.

I know I'm so scared of tearing :( I use scissors ont he small ones that have grown out but on the one of his rump, it's close to his skin and I'm so scared to the clippers. I've never used them before and I've never taken them to a groomer either. (I tried once for nail clipping and he was to squirmy so I took him home and did it myself. This works best for us now.) I heard that a seam ripper works, have you tried this?

I would be frightened of poking the bun since they are so sharp on the ends. Have you tried a de-matting comb for cats? They have an edge that will cut the matt out as you pull through the hair. The side toward the skin is dull. It would make sort of a baldish spot where it's bad, but it might work well to get it under control again. You don't want to let it get all the way down to the skin, or ignore it if it is because it will just pull tighter and tighter. It will get to the point that it is pulling on the skin all the time and can be really painful.

This is the rake I like. The picture makes it look sharp, but the ends are blunt on mine.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931204&lmdn=Cat

This is the de-matting comb. I used it on my cat, but havn't needed it for the bun, so I don't know how he would react. It's similar but not the same.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931205&lmdn=Cat

There's also detangling spray, but I'm not sure if it would irritate the skin. If you try it I would put just a dab on and see if any irritation happens over 24 hours before spraying more.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3747756

Oh, and welcome to RO! This is a wonderful place to learn all about rabbits. We love pictures, so please post some of your babies :)

The easiest way to post pictures is to get a photobucket account and copy the image code into your posts. It took me a long time to figure that out ;)

That wedged comb looks PERFECT! I just ordered, it, I'm excited lol :p Thank you so much! Here's Duke- we were told he's a Lionhead but I'm not so sure. And here's Jack, our other rabbit, who's also a sweetheart.

He does look great! Also more comfortable :)

I'm not an expert, but I think he is a teddy bear lionhead. I think there's a bit of angora in the line to make them stay fluffier all over, just not quite as long as a full angora.

Latest posts

Back