Show me/tell me about your rabbit's hay set up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZiggyLove

Reaction score
My husband recently built Ziggy a new cage and we are having an issue with the hay holder.

It's one from Petsmart that just attaches to the outside of the cage. You put hay in and they get it from the inside of the cage.

Hubby is annoyed at the mess it makes now. As Ziggy pulls out the hay, some of it drops on the floor. We keep unlimited hay throughout the day in there, so by the end of the day, the heep on the floor is a lot. LOL

I would prefer not to move it - mostly because I'm paranoid. I read up on litterbox training and read that it was good to have the hay near the litterbox because they go potty while they relax and eat hay.

He's only been in the new cage a week and has done great with the "pottybox" - that's what my kids call it. LOL

So maybe this is really a 2-part question....

How/where does your rabbit get hay in their cage?

Will he still know to go in the pottybox if they hay is not right there?

I'd put a large pile of hay right in his litterbox. That's what I do and they still eat and go in there:)

I have the hay in the litter box... I used a piece of coroplast left over from building their condo and cut it to fit part of the box, then put bolts sticking up through it so they wouldn't stand/potty in the hay section and ziptied the coroplast to the grid:

Photo002.jpg

I use a wire paper tray. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DBMMO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I zip tie it on one side to the side of the cage (inside the cage) and use a dog leash clip to hook it on the other side. It holds a lot of hay and does not make a mess. It is hooked on the side of the cage on the second story (the shelf). My rabbits do not use the bathroom while they eat. I do not have any pictures of it at the moment and am out of town and do not have my computer with me (using my mom's).

Last edited by a moderator:
Faith completely separates potty time and hay time actually. We just throw a pile in her cage and call it good. It gets messy, but it would have either way. She won't eat stuff that's in her poop(and she gets a good foot long, inch deep of poop in her litter box in one day) even though she does eat her poop sometimes, so her hay is out of her litterbox.

My bun has two kitten sized litter boxes, one for hay/salad and one for potty. She doesn't potty in her hay box and does eat out of her potty box. She gets almost 2 filled boxes of hay a day. She can lay in it and eat and sleep. She also gets her lunch and dinner salad in that box. It seems to work well for us.
Oh. Both of the boxes are ziptied to the side of her cage.

My boys love to eat hay that I've bundled together and tied with a zip tie. It's gets eaten all the way down. I also stuff hay in their toilet paper rolls and they like to fling it out. I always have a nice clump in their litter box too.

I havetried tons of things lol...now i dump it on the rug. If its i the litter box murphy drags it everywhere anyways.

Latest posts

Back