Should we separate them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnykinz

Reaction score
My 2 bucks have been together since they were 6 wks old. They are about 9 months now. They have always chased and tried to mount each other but today I noticed it has seemed to get rougher. I don't know if they are exactly fighting, but they kind of push each other around a lot and the smaller one thumps his foot. I don't want this to evolve into fighting. Should I separate them until they get neutered or will they be ok together?

Even the pushing and thumping seems quite tame for unaltered bucks. If they really start to display signs of hurting each other (biting, relentless chasing, one hiding in fear from the other) you might want to separate them. It's hard to watch bonded pairs go through their routines, especially as they mature. Just feel each bun's skin thoroughly under their fur to make sure they didn't bite each other when you weren't looking if it looks like something between them happened but you're not sure what. At least to me, it doesn't sound like your pair have grown apart.

If they still sit with each other and groom each other like a good mannered pair, I think they're ok :) Just a few squabbles.

I would still recommend getting them both neutered as I think they'll have a quieter and less stressful bond. Especially if they start fighting, I would separate them before they hurt each other and ruin their bond (bunnies do hold grudges)

You might want to consider a bigger cage (not sure what you have now). A bonded pair should have more space than 2 singles so they can each have their own space in the cage to get away form the other if they want to. Places to hide are also good. Bonded pairs are great, but they still need to be able to have their own space if they want it.

I would get your bunnies neutered right now because the hormones are starting to get worse and in 2 months you could have two bunnies fighting and breaking their bond.

I can understand if you don't have the money to get them neutered now, but it is definitely a good idea because you really don't want them to lose their bond that they have.

Bunnykinz wrote:
My 2 bucks have been together since they were 6 wks old. They are about 9 months now. They have always chased and tried to mount each other but today I noticed it has seemed to get rougher. I don't know if they are exactly fighting, but they kind of push each other around a lot and the smaller one thumps his foot. I don't want this to evolve into fighting. Should I separate them until they get neutered or will they be ok together?
they are nine months old now.??-my experience with males was very tramatic-;;four males in a liter,growing up together--at about 6 months of age(maturity)-they did the chasing-innocent at first,then,,-one male experienced a life threatening-injury-by his brother--required to save ones life was surgical removal of his testicals-$1,000+-in dvm bills;;-all males are nowhoused seperately;--even after neutering they will require supervision--if you can stop the fight in time--sincerely james waller:halo

Latest posts

Back