Should she stay or should she go? UPDATE: YukonDaisy Gets Newt!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonDaisy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As some of you know, I'm getting another rabbit, Newt. But I have to drive to Terrace to pick him up, it's about 1, 242 km one way. We'll be gone for about six days, as we'll be visiting my sister as well.

My question is, should I bring Ookpik along for bonding purposes? I think it'd be a good idea to bring her because it will be all neutral territory for both of them. There is no neutral territory here, Ookpik goes everywhere.
But it's such a loooooooooong time to be in a carrier in the backseat of the truck with the dogs. She's pretty ok with car rides in town and we usually stop frequently so the dogs can have a run around.I couldn't let her run around, obviously, but I could check her and make sure she's ok. But the whole ordeal might stress her way too much.

I just can't decide which is best. What do you think?

~Diana!

How long will it be in the car? Would you have somewhere to leave her if you went that you'd know she'd be safe?

I can see that it would be a good idea to try bond them at your sister's house, they might hit it off straight away and even share the ride home. :D

I think it would be ok as long as you stopped regularly. If your dogs are getting out for a run around maybe you could bring a little pen and set it up for a little while on some grass to let her stretch her legs?

It's up to you, if you think she can handle the journey then I think yes, you know her best. :)

Thanks Michaela.

I'm not sure how long that is, I'd say between 10 - 12 hours of driving. If I don't bring her, she'd just stay here. I'm going to be hiring a pet sitter to take care of the cats, hamster, hedgehog and fish, but she'd only come probably once a day, not stay here. I didn't think of bringing a pen so she could stretch along the way! But I don't know how she'd like that, she's never been outside as I don't have a safe area for her here.

~Diana

Hmm if she is normally good in the car I don't see why not. Especially if you aren't driving, you can give her attention. I'd say for bonding purposes it would be great. I'd love to take my bunnies with me everywhere if I could! Especially for that long!

Hmm this is a bit of a catch 22 situation ;)

Stay home: bun gets a sitter in only once a day for care and probably misses you a lot as you will be gone for 6 days. Can the sitter come in more often? Especially for the bun?:biggrin2:

Take bun: Trip could be stressful for bun and if thats the case, its a long trip. About the neutral territory, well your sister's place sounds good but bun may be very disorientated and get upset when frightened by all the changes.

I would say that if you are extremely bonded to your bun then take her but otherwise best leave bun at home as car trip, no space to exercise, new bun to bond with, unfamiliar surroundings and added stress for you might just be too much.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just putting my two cents worth in :p

If it were just a few hours I would definitely take her...but it sounds like a long ride. If it were one way...

But then some bunnies love the car. We had a bun who went just about everywhere (though never more than 2-3 hours in the car) and he LOVED it. We've got another bun who about has a stroke during the 20 min ride to the vet.

Only you know Ookpik and what she can handle.

Whatever you decide...I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

-Mary Ellen

(Gingivere is laughing. Saying something about "silly Diana" and "doesn't she remember that I napped Newt ages ago?")

Does she do ok when you take her on short rides, like to the vet or for visits? I know I have a couple of rabbits I would try that wiht, and some I would never even think about it. It kinda depends, at least to me, on how outgoing and confident your bunny's personality is. Or how shy and reserved she is, one or the other.

One more sleep! I can't wait!

But I've been veto'd. I was just leaning towards taking Ookpik, but the bf said no. "It's too many animals" :grumpy: Is there such a thing?

We'll be gone only three days now, so it's no so bad. I'll have lots of pics when we get back!

~Diana

Hi Diana,

I don't have any advice on your question about taking Ookpik. But I did want to say hello. I had the pleasure of meeting Newt when I was up at the Ratstravaganza show in BC a couple of months ago. I was there picking up my new bunns, Harvey and Sam (and a new little rattie too). There were a few other small pets there from the SARS shelter and Newt was there to be transported to Simone I believe.

Anyway, he was a lovely boy and sooooo sweet and adorable! Congrats and can't wait to seenew pics of him when he arrives safely home with you.:)

Debbie

I get to drop Newt off at the airport!! I'm so excited to be the one to send him off!

Only bad thing is that he has to be at the airport for 8am, on a Saturday... I'll be off to pick him up for about 7 so I can get to the airport on time.

--Dawn

Bad news. The bf cancelled. I don't drive or have a vehicle. So the new planmay be totake Greyhound to Terrace on monday (arrive Wednesday) go to my sister's house and hope Ifind a way back to Whitehorse. I emailed Simone about this,just waiting to hear back. I'm so freaking upset. Such bad luck with this whole thing.*tries to think positive* It'll work out, it'll work out... I hope.

Hi Debbie, I'm on the SARS forum, too. I recognize you from there! Everyone who's met Newt says how wonderful he is, I can't wait to meet him and bring him home.

Mary Ellen, I agree, especially now! :X

Hi Dawn, thanks so much for volunteering to do that. I hope you still get to drive him, maybe a different day, though.

~Diana

OK, maybe not. Bf just phoned, said that his contractors won't be ready until next week, he just had to make one more call. God, I hope so! Stupid job interfering with my Newt getting! I've been freaking out all day since he first cancelled this afternoon. I bet I have grey hair now....

Fingers crossed!

Good news, original plan is back on! w00t! Thank goodness, riding the bus sucks. We leave tomorrow morning and we'll be back Sunday. Newt's flight is on Saturday. I'm supposed to be packing right now, so I'll be ready to leave in the morning, but RO's more fun.

There'sthis cool fox that lives along the highway down there, he's almost tame and comes up to your vehicle to see if you'll feed him. It looks like he's gotold injuries, he's got a blind eye and holds one of his back legs up when he walks. I'll try to get some good pics of him for you guys. I'll try to take lots of pics, it's really pretty down around there. And of course there'll be pics of Newt!

Ok, I'm tired and rambling now. But at least I'm happy!

See you all when I get back!

Aww the bad thing about Greyhound is no buns on the bus :( Had to leave my cat (when I only had one) behind with a friend when I moved cross country by Greyhound. I later paid $600 for a weekend flight just to go pick him up though. Everyone thought I was nuts :p

Bunnicula wrote:
Make sure to post a pic of the bf. I need to glare at him for making you go through this stress!!! :X

-Mary Ellen
:yeahthat:and I can't wait to see your pictures of EVERYTHING! I'm so excited for you! :hyper:

Back