Should rabbits be housed outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally all of my rabbits are indoors, but they can be outside depending on the situation. I think you have to make more of an effort to spend time with them if they are outside. Sophie will just jump into my lap when she feels like a snuggle. That's not really an option if they aren't running around the house. You are lucky that San Diego has beautiful wether, so that takes a lot of the pressure off. Here in PA it gets crazy hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter, very extreme conditions outside that I don't think you will need to deal with. You will still have to be careful about preditors because they are everywhere.

So, it is possible, but I think it will be more work on you to make sure they are happy and healthy. There are people here that house their rabbits out side very nicely, so perhaps they can give you some more ideas.

It would be hard to have my buns outside. I would spend way too much time out there and I can see that becoming a problem for me.. so i vote inside.

I have my bunnies outside, and if you can't have them inside (like me) then have them outside, lol :) My bunnies are friendly, loving, cuddly bunnies, i don't think it would change a bunnies behaviour or friendliness if they lived inside or out, as long as you don't mind playing, stroking, talking, to them outside in all kinds of weather!
I sit outside in my bunnies run for hours just watching them, they can still jump up and sleep on my lap and do things that bunnies would do if they were inside :)

Your bunnies can still greet you after work/school just the same as if they were inside, its cute because they start to know the sound of your car and when they hear it they come out.

I wouldn't here in pa because the temperatures are so extreme and I would miss them too much!

Plus, I think I'm entirely too lazy for the amount of dedication it takes to have a bun outside versus in. For instance, we've had thunder storms all day here. I know that I would dread going out to feed them and water them because of getting soaked and they wouldn't be able to get out and play. I like that they're inside with me. I live against the woods, so I know I wouldn't feel safe that something wouldn't terrorize them, or worse, break in!

This would completely be my personal choice (obviously others have outdoor rabbits successfully) but if I couldnt keep my rabbits indoors, I wouldn't get one. They're so needy when they're around me for hours a day! I couldn't imagine if they were outside alone most of the day. If I did have an outdoor bunny, I'd have to make it a pair since they would get less hours of human interaction. Plus, the laziness factor. And, I don't believe in keeping any pet outside as a permanent solution, dogs, cats, anything (well except livestock that would be quiet unhappy in a house) my pets are my family. And my personal lifestyle wouldn't reflect treating an outdoor pet as such.

Honestly (and this is no offense to people that keep bunnies outside) but I don't think they should be outside. Rabbits are to social and sensitive to be kept outdoors. If you would not put a golden retriever in a hutch then why would you do that to a rabbit?

Well I am thinking about building a house for them, like the one 1357rabbitlover has made.
If they are outside, you would still see them and play with them. It isn't like they aren't going to be loved any less.
@Nelsons_Mom: Would it be better to have two male rabbits or two female rabbits?

The best pair is a neutered male and spayed female. Most shelters have an abundance of really sweet bonded pairs since they are less likely to be placed than single buns.

The catch 22 is most rescues do not adopt to people unless the rabbits will be kept indoors (at least from what I have seen).

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
The best pair is a neutered male and spayed female. Most shelters have an abundance of really sweet bonded pairs since they are less likely to be placed than single buns.

The catch 22 is most rescues do not adopt to people unless the rabbits will be kept indoors (at least from what I have seen).
The shelters around me do not adopt out to outdoor homes or people who will house them in garages.

I'm for indoor rabbits only too. And yes, no offense to those that house them outside but I agree with Katie...i wouldn't keep my dog outside so why would I my rabbit?

I know it can be done, but I admittedly do have a hard time understanding how someone can truly spend enough time outside with their rabbit. Like the storm example Jordan gave.....or hot outside or whatever....there are lots of elements that I just can't see someone going outside and spending hours in with their rabbits :(

Sorry to be negative but it is something to consider Hunter. You mentioned on your other thread that you were thinking of the rabbits "feelings" and that you didn't feel like you should keep a rabbit outdoors. Just want you to keep in mind all variables involved.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
In all honesty here how do you plan on caring for a rabbit if your mom is not 100 percent on board? Vet bills for a sick rabbit can be in the thousands. Who will pay for your bunnies if they get sick?
She is on board, if the rabbit is outside.
We will pay for them.

1357rabbitlover wrote:
I have my bunnies outside, and if you can't have them inside (like me) then have them outside, lol :) My bunnies are friendly, loving, cuddly bunnies, i don't think it would change a bunnies behaviour or friendliness if they lived inside or out, as long as you don't mind playing, stroking, talking, to them outside in all kinds of weather!
I sit outside in my bunnies run for hours just watching them, they can still jump up and sleep on my lap and do things that bunnies would do if they were inside :)

Your bunnies can still greet you after work/school just the same as if they were inside, its cute because they start to know the sound of your car and when they hear it they come out.
Now is the weather hot or cold in your area? What do you do when that happens?
I have a carrier for dogs that I could use when there are extreme temps.

^^^the UK doesn't have the extreme temp differences you may be concerned about.

However, it's not just the weather to be concerned about. Think about it in terms of how much time you could commit to being outside. Do you think you could provide that for a bun?

During school will you get up early enough every morning to feed and spend time with bunny?

Then after school are you in activities? Sports? Clubs? Etc.....

Then you have homework. Dinner. Friends. And most obvious, you will have bedtime for school the next day....

Do you see bunny fitting into that? Getting outdoors everyday for bunny?

agnesthelion wrote:

^^^the UK doesn't have the extreme temp differences you may be concerned about.

However, it's not just the weather to be concerned about. Think about it in terms of how much time you could commit to being outside. Do you think you could provide that for a bun?

During school will you get up early enough every morning to feed and spend time with bunny?

Then after school are you in activities? Sports? Clubs? Etc.....

Then you have homework. Dinner. Friends. And most obvious, you will have bedtime for school the next day....

Do you see bunny fitting into that? Getting outdoors everyday for bunny?
I can provide time for a rabbit, I am outside most of the day.
After school I have running for an hour. Friends may come over, but most of my friends love animals and want to go and play with them.
I will have homework and dinner, sometimes friends.
I can go outside to visit a rabbit. I barely watch T.v., I am outside for most of the day. The only time I watch tv is at night when it is dark.

Since you live in CA it shouldn't be too bad - only in the summer months and I know lots of breeders who easily keep all of their rabbits outside (in barns) and have no issue with the weather or anything.

My rabbits are outside in a shed. It is not insulated (though I wish it were!) and they do completely fine in the summer & winter. I don't socialize with them as much as I should - but it is NOT because they are not indoor rabbits. It's because I work and am hardly ever home except for on my days off. My mom feeds them and talks to/pets them, so they do get socializing.

Emily

Australia can have extreme heat and yet you will "barely" ever and I seriously mean ever hear people say they have an indoor bunny... when I first told people I have my bunnies indoors their faces turned into some weird cringe most times, and honestly if I didn't research bunnies before I got mine I wouldn't have ever known they could be indoors.

I have even been to the secretary of the rabbit club of my state house when I bought one of my buns and all hers were outdoors and not in a shed but were extremely well cared for and all the bunnies were healthy and happy and very socialized.

I think if you had the option of having a bun indoors it would be better and more convenient

but bunnies can be well cared for outdoors. and whos saying you cant bring it in and have the bun sit on your lap at night when you're on the couch to add more bonding time? :)

Hubbys parents keep saying i should put my buns outside. Why would i get a rabbit, spend the 150 to nueter them, or murphys case 400. Then stick them ina cage outside whete they would get half the attention and care with my busy life. Inside, murphy free roams and sebi and pidge get dining room. I can do dishes and murphy will lay by my feet. Ill read to the girls at night and pidge will play with their kitchen toys.

I wouldnt have noticed how badly murphys leg effected her unless i saw her running throughout the day or try to jump on things or get into litter boxes.

My pet rabbits wont be outside. We have talked about getting my oldest in 4h and those bunnies will probably be in a shed off our deck though.

You switched your entire train of thought? In the last post you made you sounded against having your rabbits outside and even said you were thinking about their feelings... i guess since the only way for you to have one is outside you're just going to work around it.

Really think about this. It would be horrible for you to end up having no time for the bunny and it being outside all alone and not well cared for. Your mom wont keep up your duties and the rabbit will suffer.

I personally think it takes more time, dedication and effort to house a bunny properly outside. I'm not saying it cant be done, but its a lot of work.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back