Should my rabbit mate or remain single?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addy

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1 year old female who has been separated from her 6 month old female litter mate a few weeks ago due to me observing them fight one day. Despite rebonding attempts, they haven't been compatible. I have kept them in separate rooms to prevent them from getting hurt. Finally the 6 month old is moving to her new home this weekend and my 1 year old is getting the living room after I clean the area and air off her sister's scent! :) They are both free roaming.

My 1 year old, Panda, is super sweet. She lives in my room now. She sleeps a lot during the day and is pretty active in the morning before I leave for work and after dinner time before I go to bed. I love how we play tag and she follows me around. She loves being petted and we are working on her being held. I am really happy with her personality and her love for me. Do you think there is a chance that it could change if I decide to have her mate with a male rabbit? I would hate to have her love me less because of her mate.

My current pros and cons for mating her next month (my vet told me to wait for a month or two!):

PROS:
-she won't be lonely when I am gone working long hours, and I won't feel guilty leaving her at home
-my local rabbit rescue has a great and unique speed dating service that I will not have access to after I move. They'll take Panda into their rabbit headquarters for a week and see if she likes any of the male rabbits there, then bring her back the next week to me with the male she likes. :)

CONS:
-might be moving to a small studio apartment in the city, more cramped with a second bunny and might have to sleep with them in the same room (noise? Panda is ok now but if I add the second one I am nervous with noise sensitivity/my own sleep hygiene...)
-monetary cost for extra supplies
-Panda's personality changes?

I only could think of a few "pros" but not sure how significant that can be. I'll be moving in a few months (3.5 hour drive north) and will have more intense working hours by that time. I won't have anyone living at home regularly; just myself and maybe in a tiny studio.

I'm so indecisive and would appreciate some wisdom. Thank you!

Last edited:
When you say “mate” do you mean you wish to neuter them and bond them? Or breed them together? I would say the best option is to spay her and bond her to a castrated male - she won’t love you any less but will definitely be less needy as she is less lonely :)

I mean by bonding her to an already neutered male. She has been spayed. :)

Okay brilliant! I would definitely think for her it would be better to have a friend as you are at work a lot of the day. She might follow you round etc less than before, but that will be because she is less needy and desperate for attention. It doesn’t mean she will love cuddles and affection any less! Money is obviously an issue but I can’t be imagine it being a hugely expensive increase - sorry I’m not sure about that.
I fully support you getting a second bunny, especially with the speed dating service available :)

Latest posts

Back