Should I worry about these kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyBritt

Reaction score
I recently started fostering a female rabbit that had babies unexpectedly. Mama is doing great, the babies are being fed and have huge round bellies. I noticed this white stuff that resembles lint or dandruff on the black on and the little white one has a tiny bit on it's ears. Should I be worried about this? I ran my fingers over it's fur and it doesn't come off but it feels different and I'm 97% sure it's not fur. What could it possibly be?

20150405_010715.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a sign of mites. You should contact a vet for advice on how to treat babies so young.

Could it still be mites if none of the other three rabbits have mites? My male just went to the vet a couple weeks ago and they always check them all over when they go and my female seems fine as well and mama bunny I've had her for 3 weeks and none are showing signs of mites.

It's likely to just be baby dandruff, which can occur in newborn bunnies so wouldn't be anything to worry about. However, do keep an eye on it and make sure no hair loss starts occurring.

The babies will be exactly 4 days old in a couple of hours! How long would it take for dandruff to go away? I checked all adult rabbits yesterday for mites. Mama did not appreciate the full body search. I got lots of thumps from her.

Not sure, but our newborns get dandruff sometimes. Within in a week or two from first noticing it, it should get better and go away. Just watch it.

I've seen dandruff on my babies before too, just like that. If none of the adults have any signs of mites I would not worry.

I haven't checked on them this morning but I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's just dandruff. Could it possibly be the hay irritating their baby skin?

Thank you guys! I just got through replacing the hay in mama's nest. I looked at the babies and it seems I was over worried. It went away! My nest isn't as neat and pretty as mama's was but hopefully she won't be to mad and fix it. Now I am covered in stray fur. It's amazing how much I pulled out the nest and I am STILL covered in fur.

20150406_224713.jpg

Back