Should I try bonding 2 males that fight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
Hi!

I have read a fair bit of info on bonding male bunnies and read a few posts on other peoples experience with it, but my situation is little different to most.

I have 2 male bunnies that were desexed 4-5 years ago, 1 sable dwaf called Vash and 1 albino lop named Ruby (yes I know it's a girls name but he was named before I got him and he already knows his name). They are both about 7-8 years old and were adopted/rescued separately 5 and 6 years ago. They are very well behaved, very spoilt with lots of tunnels and toys, and have a 2 bedroom bunny proofed apartment as their home. Ruby has his own room and Vash shares the bedroom with me and my partner. We have a moveable wood and wire gate that allows them to take it in turns having access to the rest of the house, and they can still see each other.

When we first introduced Ruby to Vash in 2009 it didn't even occur to us that they wouldn't get along. But even when we followed all the tips such introducing them in a neutral area and giving them time to live next to each other between wire, they still fought every time we put them together. Once Ruby got into Vash's room while we were at work and they had quite a fight that left a large gash above Ruby's eye and nick out of his ear. So we gave up on bonding them years ago and they have been living separately. But, my partner and I would really like it if they were cuddle buddies. It would make our lives a lot easier not having to maintain two separate areas for them, trying to get in and out of the gate and swapping them all the time is annoying, and last but certainly not least I know they would both love to have a friend to snuggle with.

Ruby has always been very affectionate, he often follows me around like a little lamb (in which has led to us often singing Micah had a little lamb song to him :)) he licks like crazy, and he always jumps on the couch and buries his head in our arms for pats and cuddles and he will sit/sleep there for hours! Vash has always been more independent than Ruby and when we first got him he didn't like pats or cuddles, but over the years he gotten increasingly affectionate and now exhibits the same affectionate behaviours as Ruby.

They like to sit next to each other at the wire, when they have been put together Ruby always puts his head down into Vash exhibiting passive behaviours. We think Ruby would love to be friends with Vash but Vash doesn't like him. He always bites Ruby and often tries to bite his whiskers through the wire gate. They are both territorial and always spend a long time chinning all the furniture in the room after they have been swapped over.

We have considered getting them both girlfriend bunnies but the time and logistics of finding them friends they'll like, plus they are both getting old now, paying for vet and food bills for 4 bunnies and having 4 bunnies in our small apartment seems like chaos, my partner is especially resistant to the idea. While they are both very happy and often bink, run around and pan out in the sunny windowsills, I worry that they are both lonely especially because they both like lots of constant affection. My question is do you think there is a chance these boys will ever get along and can be bonded? If so, how would you suggest we go about it?

Sorry for the long story. Any advice or anyone with a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Micah.
(Melbourne, Australia)

you already know the answer.... trying to bond two male rabbits when one doesn't like the other is an exercise in futility and potential danger. Leave them separated please.

I wouldn't try it, odds are they will never bond and, it would just be stress for you and them, and risk them injuring each other in a fight. it isn't worth it.

I disagree. I don't think it's necessarily hopeless. It could be that, back then, they had a fight initially and then were holding a grudge that prevented any future bonding. The first fight probably ruined the chances of bonding back then. But bunnies eventually forgive and move on. So, your chances of bonding them are better than they ever were.

I would start off with having them in neutral territory, with a room sectioned off with a gate. A bathroom works perfectly for this. I would even put a cardboard in between them so they can't see each other, but they can still smell each other. That way, you're confining them to the same space, but they are still separated. Do this for awhile. Then take the cardboard away (but leave the gate). Immediately discourage any aggressive behavior from either bunny by pushing their head down and saying no. You can even talk to them in a reassuring voice. It's important that you are relaxed during this process too as your mood can influence them. If they behave and there's no aggression, keep doing more of this, increasing the time of their "bunny date." Always end on a positive note too. The initial "date" can be just a few minutes, gradually increasing the time with each subsequent "date."

If they show signs of progress and there's no aggression, you can take the gate away and allow them to be in the room at the same time. Humping will probably take place, but only discourage it if it lasts a long time or it's excessive. They need to figure out the dominance thing on their own. As long as there is no tail raised and ears at a 45 degree angle, that's good. Again, keep the "dates" short at first, gradually increasing the time that they are together from just a couple minutes to, eventually, an hour.

Do keep in mind that this process will take months. It's important that you don't have a set back, so take it very slow.

Just a note. You mentioned that Ruby puts his head down into Vash "exhibiting passive behaviors." This is actually quite the opposite. Ruby is demanding that Vash groom him. It is Ruby that is attempting to be dominant. The head down means, "you, servant, must groom me... now."

Latest posts

Back