Should I take my bunny on a trip with me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylover14

Reaction score
Every summer my family takes a week long trip. I am wondering what I should do. Should I have some of my relatives take care of him at there house? (they have a dog but could close off a room) Or should I bring him with me? Another option would be to have a friend check in on him every/every other day. I know that my bunny doesn't like when I am gone so I am just not sure what I should do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Btw it is a car trip and usually we drive there in 2 days (for example 8-10 hours one day and 7 on the next. We take a few stops though so I could have him out hopping around outside or something like that.)

I'd go with having a friend stop by every day to check on him. It's the least stressful for your bunny and frankly for you, with the fewest moving parts and least risk of something going wrong. Rabbits are not generally big fans of travel, so taking him with you is a lot of stress for everyone involved with no benefits. It's only one week which isn't too long to be alone at your home and erases the risk at your relatives of the dog potentially getting into the room and hurting your rabbit. It only takes an instant for things like that to go horribly wrong.

Even more so, leave him at home unless you have no other choice. I've done multiday moving trips with rabbits and while it is not a task that should be done for no good reason, especially if most of the trip will be in transit and miserable for your rabbit, putting him at risk of stress-triggered conditions such as GI stasis.

Thanks! should I have my friend take him out of his cage? Or would that stress my bunny out?

That one actually depends more on your rabbit and the comfort of your friend. One week without getting the exercise he is used to probably won't be the end of the world, although if he's relatively confident and your friend would enjoy some bunny bonding time it would be great for him to have some fun while you're gone. If he is generally happy staying in his cage it's probably better for everyone if he just has a week of "me-time" at home without too much extra stress.

Every summer my family takes a week long trip. I am wondering what I should do. Should I have some of my relatives take care of him at there house? (they have a dog but could close off a room) Or should I bring him with me? Another option would be to have a friend check in on him every/every other day. I know that my bunny doesn't like when I am gone so I am just not sure what I should do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I vote for leaving him home as well, those are long car rides, both ways! We went away for 4 days and my Mom came by 2x a day to visit, refresh his hay/pellets/water and let him out for a bit to hop around. We also added to extra panels to his xpen so he had more room given less time than normal being out.

Back