Should I speerate my 2 Buns ASAP??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 lops one is exactly 8 weeks (male) and the other is a female (probably more like 6-7 weeks). I noticed this evening for the VERY FIRST time that Charlie was trying to hump Puffin. I stopped it right away. Then he tried to hump her front side...stopped that. OMG I DO NOT want babies NO NO NO....So, what should I do. Is he too young to be spayed?? I really do not want to seperate them now if I do not have to. Could she be pregnant at this young? Please oh please tell me know. I also noticed he is making those grunting noises around her. I can get them fixed ASAP but I do think they may be too young.

Any tips?

It is highly unlikely that she can get pregnant now. Females usually mature at about 4-6 months, but it can be as early as 3 months. Males can mature eariler, usually around 4 months, but it can be earlier.
Some shelters and rescues do spay or neuter rabbits at a young age. It is mostly so that they can't reproduce and the shelter doesn't have to follow up on the adopted getting it done. Personally, I don't like spaying or neutering that young (they can do it as early as 8 weeks old). Ideally, females can be done at 5-6 months old and males can be done once the testicles descend, usually around 4-5 months.
You will have to separate them, at least for a little while. If he is already humping her, then it could lead to issues and she could get hurt if he keeps at it. If they do behave, you can keep them together for another month or so, then they should be seperated until both are fixed. The male will need about 4-6 weeks for the hormones to calm down and and sperm to be gone. The female also needs time to heal and for the hormones to calm down.
I would get the male done as soon as his testicles appear and let him heal. The female, I would get done when she is about 5 months old.

Thank you for the info...oh dear lord I would DIE if she got pregnant. He doesn't seem to be bothering her too much. My #1 concern is I DO not want her to be able to get pregnant. If she can't then I am totally fine (given he doesn't hurt her) with them being together for another month...I just do not want babies.

His testicles are not dropped yet. Could he still produce even if they have not dropped right now?

I am pretty sure he is too young for the testicles to descend. Males can draw up the testicles, so it can be hard to see if they have come down.
The only way to absolutely prevent her from getting pregnant is to get her spayed. Rabbits can get pregnant at any time (once they are mature). Some males can impregnate females through cage bars if they are close enough. It only take a few seconds for a mating to happen and her to become pregnant.
Some can mature faster than others, so it is better to be safe than sorry. It would be good to separate them by 3 months old.

OK. So since neither are 3 months then I should be ok to leave them together tonight BUT as soon as the testicles drop or just before 3 months I should separate them and get them altered correct? :)

Latest posts

Back