Should I remove the box from his cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holtzchick

Reaction score
hippogryffs foster parents gave me a box that he had kept since he got there about 2 months ago and they said to keep it for 3 days or so no more.

Well he seems to be really attached and territorial about his box. He is fine with me touching the rest of his cage but when I put my hand into the box he grunts or charges to get me away. He spends most of his time in it and just rips away at the cardboard and I'm afraid that he could get too attached to it as he is not eating much either.

The box is definitely his safe place but I don't know if it can negitively affect the bond between us, and himself and Phoenix since she will lay on the open end of her cage and he will just lay in the box as opposed to her view. Is it a healthy obsession or should I remove it?

I would leave it in. Some rabbits really need a safe space and a box is a nice one. One of my rabbits ALWAYS has to have a box. She spooks easily but she feels very confident in her cardboard box and her litter box. She also digs, chews, and rips her box apart while also using it as a bed. She gets a new one every month or so once her old one isn't safe for her to jump on any more. ;)

Three days isn't very long. Give your new bun more time to adjust to his new place. After all, there's no way to actually explain all this change to him. Do try to avoid bothering him while he is in his safe spot unless you really, really need to. Once he gets to know you better, he may actually "invite" you to pet him while he is in his safe place. This is an awesome sign of trust!

Does he come out of his cage willingly? If he won't come out on his own yet, try putting some boxes or other hiding places near the door to his cage. That might make him feel safer.

Okay. I didnt purposely put my hands into his box, I just wanted to check if he looked okay because he wasn't eating a whole lot.

I know three days is not a long time, I'm just kind of concerned since the box was practically unscathed for 2 months at his foster home and now it has a ton of holes. I hope it's not that he is too nervous in his environment. He does come out of his cage but only for a short time period but I find a treat (any fruit) will get him out in no time!!

I did hear that his mate that died used to protect him from things that he was afraid of so maybe she was his safe place and he is just depressed. I have thought about many things before. Thank you for the advice though I really appreciate it :)

Maybe he'll grow out of his box by the time he destroys it. Kind of like when parents make their kid's baby blanket smaller and smaller...

You could try pulling the box out and see how he reacts, but it may just make him feel more nervous about his new environment. Sometimes you just have to try different things with a new bun, until you find the right thing or things, that helps them adjust to their new home. Things like, does he feel comfortable with his pen next to Phoenix or would he feel more comfortable as he's adjusting, if he wasn't right next to her? Will he do better adjusting by leaving him alone, or will it help him more to spend alot of time with him? When I first got one of my rabbits, she was nervous being in a new place. I didn't have her next to another rabbit, and I tried petting her and had to get in her cage a lot at first to clean it. She started out the first few days eating fine, but then she wasn't hardly eating anything. I had just had a rabbit that had stopped eating and got stasis, so when she did this i was really worried. I immediately syringe fed her(which she hated) and she immediately pooped(within the hour) afterwards, so I knew she didn't have stasis, she just wouldn't eat because of the stress of being in a new place. I knew I had to just basically give her a lot of space and leave her alone, and even not clean her cage for a little while, so I wouldn't be stressing her with that. I also put her next to one of my other rabbits that she seemed to get along with. I had to get her to start eating on her own again. I knew that her previous owner would feed her a little oats and oat hay, so I gave her some oat hay and mixed in some oats with her pellets. Now, having had a few rabbits with stasis, I hardly ever feed my rabbits treats that have carbs or sugars. Leafy greens just weren't tempting to her, so I just took a chance with the oats. I didn't give her much, just a pinch. It was like bunny crack. She would get so excited when it was time for feeding and getting her oats. I know mixing them with the food, that she would just pick them out, but it did the trick. She gradually started eating more and was just fine in a few days. So sometimes you just have to try some different approaches with your new rabbit, and hope you hit on the thing that works.

I would say a box or similar hiding place (tunnel, under the sofa etc.) is an essential rabbit supply. Rabbits instincts when frightened are to run for the cover of their warren (box) and not having access to that safe place is likely to leave a rabbit permanently on edge.

I would not remove the box and I would replace it as needed if it is chewed. Instead encourage your rabbit to explore and get used to you and his surroundings gradually. Knowing he has the box to run and take cover in if he needs it will actually give him more confidence to do this.

Adding more hiding places outside the cage and towels/blankets if the floor is slipy will also help encourage him out. You could also consider using cardboard to add a roof/back to the cage to make it feel more enclosed.

Has his food changed? Rabbits are very sensitive to sudden diet changes and stress - if he stops eating/pooping you need to get a vet involved.

You could try pulling the box out and see how he reacts, but it may just make him feel more nervous about his new environment. Sometimes you just have to try different things with a new bun, until you find the right thing or things, that helps them adjust to their new home. Things like, does he feel comfortable with his pen next to Phoenix or would he feel more comfortable as he's adjusting, if he wasn't right next to her? Will he do better adjusting by leaving him alone, or will it help him more to spend alot of time with him? When I first got one of my rabbits, she was nervous being in a new place. I didn't have her next to another rabbit, and I tried petting her and had to get in her cage a lot at first to clean it. She started out the first few days eating fine, but then she wasn't hardly eating anything. I had just had a rabbit that had stopped eating and got stasis, so when she did this i was really worried. I immediately syringe fed her(which she hated) and she immediately pooped(within the hour) afterwards, so I knew she didn't have stasis, she just wouldn't eat because of the stress of being in a new place. I knew I had to just basically give her a lot of space and leave her alone, and even not clean her cage for a little while, so I wouldn't be stressing her with that. I also put her next to one of my other rabbits that she seemed to get along with. I had to get her to start eating on her own again. I knew that her previous owner would feed her a little oats and oat hay, so I gave her some oat hay and mixed in some oats with her pellets. Now, having had a few rabbits with stasis, I hardly ever feed my rabbits treats that have carbs or sugars. Leafy greens just weren't tempting to her, so I just took a chance with the oats. I didn't give her much, just a pinch. It was like bunny crack. She would get so excited when it was time for feeding and getting her oats. I know mixing them with the food, that she would just pick them out, but it did the trick. She gradually started eating more and was just fine in a few days. So sometimes you just have to try some different approaches with your new rabbit, and hope you hit on the thing that works.

It's funny that you mention the oats. He is not too keen on veggie treats either so I mixed one blackberry into his salad last night and he NOMMED the whole thing. He is eating and pooping but I guess I'm just surprised at the amount he looks so big yet 1/4 cup a day is plenty for him with some left over and he is around 6-6.5 lbs. my other bun is about 4.5 lbs and 1/4 cup pellets is only satisfactory if she gets a lot of greens.

He does come out and explore as well and he binkies I guess I was just overly concerned.

Thank you to all those who gave me advice you were very helpful :)

All of my bun enclosures have boxes and there are a couple extras sprinkled around the house so there is at least two really good hiding spots per room. I think it makes them feel more confident to explore and relax when they run around. When a new rabbit has been introduced into the house they tend to hide a lot at first, particularly getting used to the cats. Then when they figure out the cats don't care and won't chase them, then the bun will relax outside of the boxes too. They still tend to sleep in their main burrow though, it's like a snug bed. Bunnicula is still a shy little girl and is very attached to her boxes and loves to nomm holes in them. I just replace when they get wobbly. It doesn't seem to be a particular box but hiding places in general. She has 5 various sized boxes in her enclosure that are on two levels so she has fun putting doors where she would like them.

Heck, I'm 3-*mumbles* and still have the reminants of my baby blanket and sleep with stuffies and the cats and my husband! LOL luckily he doesn't mind. I sleep better so what harm is there? Same for the buns with the boxes and stuffies, if they are more comfortable then there is no harm.

Latest posts

Back