Should I practice picking my bunny up, or avoid it altogether?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick that baby up and her her close to you. They liked to be petted on top their head and under the side of each bunny cheek. If she is nudging you it means she likes you. Have fun bonding:)

it really depends on the rabbit and how tolerant they are.
I got my guy at a young age (7 weeks) and he went EVERYWHERE with me so hed get used to being handled (and he was smaller than the giants) so he would go to stores and lay in my bag or pocket, hed go to work with me and lay by the comp all day. hell let my daughter carry him around and i could carry him for hours without him kicking or cradle him. but hes a lush.
by choice, he doesnt like being held. hell jump on the couch to be petted but he lays down far enough away from everyone that he cant be pet or bothered.

and i have never invaded his cage space, thats his one place he goes to be comfortable. i hand feed him treats and give him his food and hay, but only pet him if he nudges me as i dont want it to feel forced.

hes never been a super active bunny and perfers to play with dog over me, so toys ect never did it for him. did try a lazer light last night and he showed some interest, so may try again.

Sounds like she is warming up to you, the nudging is a great sign. when Rocky was little and at the stage you are describing, I would put him in the lounge room and let him run around and explore and i would sit on the floor and just put my hand on him when he went past. I didn't want to be pushy so I would only do it when he came over to me.

I made sure I patted him, put my hands on him, talked to him and also picked him up so he would get used to it from a young age, but I did it gradually.

At first with Rocky when I was picking him up, I would keep him as low to the ground as I could and just 'redirected' him if he went where he wasn't meant to go (eating mums vege patch!). He soon got used to this and I was also able to pick him up, but I would do this A LOT and only if he didn't mind it.

Just be patient, let bun come to you and when she does reward her with a pat or treat and gradually move to other things like picking up high off the ground. Sounds like she likes you and before you know it you will be best buds :)

My wife and I have 2 bunnies. Our first one absolutely loves being held, petted, and snuggled with. We got him when he was about 3 months old. He is now 7 months. We didn't hesitate with petting or holding him. After a couple weeks, he came up to us wanting to be pet and would just lay down for us to pick him up.

We got a second bunny and she is a lot younger (about 6 weeks when we got her). She is about 3 months now. We did the same thing with her as we did the first one but she doesn't like it as much. We still do it anyways, but she doesn't always care for it. She runs from us all the time b/c she knows what's coming. Haha. But I think younger rabbits just do that. She is getting better with coming to us and liking the pets and pick ups, so it just depends on the rabbit and how soon you try getting them used to it. I can agree that the vet trip I took with our boy bun went so good b/c the vet had no problems picking him up and doing what was necessary. :)

If your bun isn't comfortable with your touching, then they are going to hate being picked up. So you really need to start with the touching and move on to picking up. I'd suggest continuing to let her explore you - that's a great way to make friends. Then start encouraging her to let you touch by tempting her with food - just use part of her normal meals. For example hold the treat in one hand and position the other so she has to brush past it. Encourage her to climb across your lap, put you hand on the floor and let her sniff/walk on/investigate it. Put it down in front of her - which means groom me - then return the favour. Always let her move away if she wants and that will give her the confidence to return.

As she gets comfortable with touching, touch the areas that you use to pick her up, the chest, bum, back. Then just practice lifting under her chest, then her bum, until she ignores the odd things your doing. Soon you'll have all the components for picking her up and she won't even have noticed :)

Latest posts

Back