Should I introduce my dog to my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie-Rose Murray

Reaction score
6E9D8AFC-C331-4138-B220-A74C5C38AF4F.jpeg 035EEA3C-E931-44D7-BB26-F14555788FC2.jpeg 4D03EAAF-BD25-4EAA-9EEC-5E408D4ECA75.jpeg 0A9FE176-7A41-410A-8608-3ADEA8E854FF.jpeg 1414D7EC-235F-42DA-89B4-D97B459722F7.jpeg Hello, I need some help!

I have got a new bunny and she is currently living at my boyfriends house because at home there is a dog. We have been laying on the floor with her and getting her used to us and she’s come on a long way since we got her. I hate leaving her here because I want her to be able to free roam my room at home, but the dog is a problem. He is a cocker and can sometimes get very excited, I don’t think he’d ever mean to hurt her. He is well trained and could be taught, I am just worried that he will meet her get two excited and if he was to bark, could she die of shock? Is it safe? I’m so worried about it and need some advice. Will attach photos of them both ☺️

Do you have an outdoor run you could put your bunny in so they can meet outside but bunny is still safe? We let our dog meet our last bunny through the hutch initially and she would thump showing she felt threatened.. after a few visits under supervision and no more thumping, we introduced them through the pet run (bunny being in puppy run) and they used to touch noses.. eventually over time with me holding her etc we were able to let them both wander the yard freely. Unfortunately they have both passed now of old age but we have also gone through the same process with our new pup and bunny very recently and they bounce around and play together. It is the sweetest thing, but.. at this stage bunny is bigger than pup. DEPENDING on your pups personality from my experience over time this could be acheiveable and such a nice feeling to have everyone get along. But the last thing you want to do is stress bunny so it may take time.

I do NOT suggest introducing them outside. Especially if you plan to house bunny indoors. They should be introduced where bunny will live- -indoors.

I'll type more when I get to my computer in the next hour. I'm on mobile device now. But please hold off for now before introducing.

Hey there. Your bunny and dog are adorable, btw! I'm in a place I can type easier now ;)

When bringing your new bunny back to your house, remember that moving from one home to another is quite stressful on a rabbit. She's just getting adjusted to her current place and now she will be brought to another place. You'll need to give her some time to make that adjustment.

When you bring her home to your room, I'd suggest keeping the dog out of your room for awhile. Give bunny some time to get used to the new place. She should actually be kept in the confines of her cage for 48 hours minimum. This is especially important if you want her to eventually free roam in your room. She needs to establish the cage as her space alone and that is the easiest and quickest way to do that. It also gives her time to own her litterbox and know where it is.

When she's first allowed out to roam in your room, it should be just part of the room. Use an x-pen or similar to wrap around her "current cage. By offering her space in small increments, it helps her to feel less intimidated and ensures she has no doubt as to where that litterbox is if needed. The last thing you want is for her to have a potty accident from having too much space. That is a difficult habit to undo.

As for introducing her to your dog, this is best done while she is in her cage. I have a step-by-step process I've used that is explained in more detail (and with photos) here. As I mentioned earlier, it is important that the dog gets to see your rabbit in the place that bunny will be. You will be teaching your dog that your new rabbit is another member of the "family pack" and that the dog is not going to be alpha over the rabbit. Of course there are no guarantees. It will depend not just on your training but also the genetic disposition of your dog towards rabbits and the rabbit herself. Pet rabbits, though, are usually tolerant of dogs. There are a few that are very afraid of dogs, but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

My dog and rabbit are the best of friends! They groom each other and follow each other around my room. (Keep in mind my dog is a very small dog at 5 pounds!) It's just comes down to the individual rabbit and the dog. I'll attach a picture of my dog with this post!Snapchat-1085423185.jpeg

Here's a picture of my dog licking my bunny and my bunny allowing him to be in his space. Neither my dog nor my rabbit are neutered (both boys) so I'm surprised they get along and Bugs lets him in his territory.Screenshot_20180817-211911.jpeg

I meant to attach photo also, Alyssa.

View attachment 38006
Your rabbits and dog are so cute! My rabbit is probably convinced that my dog is a rabbit because he eats a slice of bell pepper while my rabbit eats his salad. He also is the size of Bugs, just with longer legs. My dog is full grown but a mixed breed and he just turned one. This does not relate to the topic of this post, but how do to keep your rabbits from chewing carpet? He's not neutered so that may be the problem but it's so annoying! I have to keep blankets over my carpet and it's quite ugly haha.

Last edited:
This does not relate to the topic of this post, but how do to keep your rabbits from chewing carpet? He's not neutered so that may be the problem but it's so annoying! I have to keep blankets over my carpet and it's quite ugly haha.

All of my rabbits have been fixed so that probably helps. I've had over a dozen rabbits through the years but only one would try to chew on carpet now & then (and also the couch corners). It's funny he did this because he initially had a NIC cage that had carpet in it that he didn't bother. But once we moved and changed his cage, then he started chewing on carpet.

Fortunately with the new house we had plenty of tiled areas that we kept him on (he was fine on tile). If he tried to venture onto the carpet, I would just say his name in a certain way and he would turn away like "what? I wasn't going anywhere." :rolleyes:

The other rabbits I've had were fine on carpet, thankfully.

All of my rabbits have been fixed so that probably helps. I've had over a dozen rabbits through the years but only one would try to chew on carpet now & then (and also the couch corners). It's funny he did this because he initially had a NIC cage that had carpet in it that he didn't bother. But once we moved and changed his cage, then he started chewing on carpet.

Fortunately with the new house we had plenty of tiled areas that we kept him on (he was fine on tile). If he tried to venture onto the carpet, I would just say his name in a certain way and he would turn away like "what? I wasn't going anywhere." :rolleyes:

The other rabbits I've had were fine on carpet, thankfully.
He will be fixed and I hope it stops after his neuter.

Back