Should I give him a friend?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old french lop eared. He's never been around any other animals. I'd like to give him a friend but I'm not sure if I should do it. I'd like to get a dwarf but I'm worried that he would attack him/her. His behavior seems some what aggressive but I don't know half the time if he's playing or getting irritated. For instance when cleaning out his area I'll be moving his towels around, he'll come over grunt and kick his front legs out as if trying to scratch me. He also will grunt if I get near his food when he's eating.:? He's kind of a big boy so I'd be afraid he'd hurt another bunny that is as small as a dwarf?

His behavior sounds pretty normal to me. Is he neutered? It's not uncommon for tiny and big bunnies to get along, but you would definitely want to have them both fixed. Because bunnies are so territorial, it can be difficult for them to get along when they're not spayed or neutered. The easiest bond to make is male/female (both fixed), although other groupings can work. Male/male bonds are more difficult, and nearly impossible with unfixed guys.

If he's already fixed, you should just take him to the local shelter or rescue and ask to go on "bunny dates" with any bunnies they have that you like. It's often best for the bunny to pick their buddy, as many can be difficult, like my Tony--he was hard to find a friend for because he's such a sassypants--which it sounds like Thumper might be if he's already neutered.

lol he must sassy pants, he is neutered. Thats not a bad idea to take him with me so he can pick out his friend. the only thing is, I can't pick him up, he really freaks out and gets nervous, he usually gets mushy stools when he gets stressed.

Back