Should I get another bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtab

Reaction score
I only have a small cage inside that I would like them to sleep in but I have a large enclosure outside for them to be in during the day. They are sisters so they’re already familiar with each other. Would it be okay for them to sleep in this cage until I’m able to upgrade? Or what advice do y’all have for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 15
Here is my outdoor enclosure I just got set up 💕

Attachments

• 2D9BD3EE-F51B-4BC4-A4D6-5E1001B9CA80.jpeg
    2D9BD3EE-F51B-4BC4-A4D6-5E1001B9CA80.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 12
Do not get another rabbit right now-- That cage is too small for even a single rabbit to be confined in. Please see here for information on appropriate rabbit housing: Housing Options ... As it mentions, even if you have a larger outdoor run, that cage is too small for "sleep" time.

Also, rabbits do not acknowledge family units like humans do-- being sisters does not guarantee that they will get along once puberty hits. Rabbits will mate and fight within family. To maximize the likelihood of two rabbits forming a successful, stable bond, both rabbits should be spayed/neutered and go through the bonding process, which can take a couple weeks to months. During that entire time, they need to be housed separately and have rotational free-roam time. For information on true bonds vs false (baby) bonds, see here: Bonding Bunnies

Here is my outdoor enclosure I just got set up 💕
Is there wire under that cage?
Animals can easily dig in or out, like foxes, raccoons, and other creatures.
Do you live in a place with predators? Bunnies can die of a heart attack, so a predator doesn't even have to get in to kill your rabbit. As well as extreme temperatures or temperature changes can kill them! Rabbits are very fragile creatures, and if you insist on keeping them outside, please look into a rabbit shed. Almost nowhere in America I would consider suitable for outdoor rabbits, unlike the UK where there is almost no predators there.
In regards to getting a second rabbit, Is your rabbit spayed or neutered?
Both bunnies have to be spayed/neutered for the best chance of bonding.
Male and female bonds work best, but make sure to wait 8 WEEKS after neutering your male rabbit to start the bonding process as I am sure you don't want a litter of baby bunnies.
Since you do house your rabbit outside I would suggest a bond-mate in the future after BOTH rabbits are fixed.
Again, I really reccomend indoor rabbits as it allows a stronger more personal bond with them, but to each there own.
Please consider a rabbit shed.
-Peanuts Place <3

Luna’s living arrangement is temporary. I plan on buying a new cage and a gate enclosure for inside in the future and then letting her outside for more exercise. I thought her having a friend would be good so she wasn’t lonely/bored. There are hawks in the area, that is why I got the enclosure for outside(it was free). And I don’t plan on having her outside unsupervised long enough for her to dig out. She was in a small cage with her siblings when I got her, maybe 2 weeks ago. I thought she would be fine with her sister and would already be bonded to her 🤷🏼‍♀️

I live in GA and I am aware that she shouldn’t be outside in extreme heat. I will take proper precautions. I thought I was trying to do the right thing with getting the enclosure but now I feel like I didn’t…? I can’t afford a hutch. I know that would be best for her to have inside of there but that is not possible right now. I have a small animal house in there for now.

Last edited:
Luna’s living arrangement is temporary. I plan on buying a new cage and a gate enclosure for inside in the future and then letting her outside for more exercise. I thought her having a friend would be good so she wasn’t lonely/bored. There are hawks in the area, that is why I got the enclosure for outside(it was free). And I don’t plan on having her outside unsupervised long enough for her to dig out. She was in a small cage with her siblings when I got her, maybe 2 weeks ago. I thought she would be fine with her sister and would already be bonded to her 🤷🏼‍♀️

I live in GA and I am aware that she shouldn’t be outside in extreme heat. I will take proper precautions. I thought I was trying to do the right thing with getting the enclosure but now I feel like I didn’t…? I can’t afford a hutch. I know that would be best for her to have inside of there but that is not possible right now. I have a small animal house in there for now.
It sounds like you are doing the best you can, and I applaud you for that! Have you checked out facebook marketplace or craigslist? You should be able to find a hutch, or a dog pen, or someone that’s willing to make one

Perhaps your first step should be to decide whether you plan to house them indoors or outdoors. It should not be both. Right now, it may seem easy enough to switch a rabbit back and forth (inside to out) since the Spring weather means the weather is roughly the same both indoors and out. But once summer heat comes and then winter cold, the temperature difference between inside and out can be significant. Rabbits cannot easily regulate their body temp when they are being moved constantly. So, for example, moving from a relatively warm house in winter to the cold outdoors every day and every night will be quite stressful on a rabbit.

A rabbit should either be housed indoors, day and night, all the time, (occasional time outside on nice days). OR housed in a safe, enclosed outdoor cage, day and night, all the time. If you choose outdoors, then that outdoor arrangement should be setup as soon as possible (Spring is ideal). This way, the rabbit gets accustomed to the outdoors and will naturally grow a thicker coat come winter. An indoor rabbit will not.

Once you decide which place you'd like to house them, then we can offer suggestions on how to best (cheaply) provide the recommended space.

Perhaps your first step should be to decide whether you plan to house them indoors or outdoors. It should not be both. Right now, it may seem easy enough to switch a rabbit back and forth (inside to out) since the Spring weather means the weather is roughly the same both indoors and out. But once summer heat comes and then winter cold, the temperature difference between inside and out can be significant. Rabbits cannot easily regulate their body temp when they are being moved constantly. So, for example, moving from a relatively warm house in winter to the cold outdoors every day and every night will be quite stressful on a rabbit.

A rabbit should either be housed indoors, day and night, all the time, (occasional time outside on nice days). OR housed in a safe, enclosed outdoor cage, day and night, all the time. If you choose outdoors, then that outdoor arrangement should be setup as soon as possible (Spring is ideal). This way, the rabbit gets accustomed to the outdoors and will naturally grow a thicker coat come winter. An indoor rabbit will not.

Once you decide which place you'd like to house them, then we can offer suggestions on how to best (cheaply) provide the recommended space.

My bunny is living inside and only goes outside for exercise during the day. By the time it gets cold, I will have a large area set up in the house for her. My main question was about if I should purchase her sister to give her a friend.

My bunny is living inside and only goes outside for exercise during the day. By the time it gets cold, I will have a large area set up in the house for her. My main question was about if I should purchase her sister to give her a friend.
Don't buy another bunny. Get your bunny spayed first, wait 8 weeks, then try to find a neutered male friend in a rescue centre.

I’d just get one for now, wait for until after she’s old enough to be spayed, then consider another. For bonding and during their puberty months you’ll want to house them separately to ensure they don’t fight and hurt each other.
I love your outdoor setup! I agree I wouldn’t leave them out there around the clock for reasons others have mentioned, but there are risks with any exercise space. I think it’s great you’re providing a spacious area for your bunny to play!

Don't buy another bunny. Get your bunny spayed first, wait 8 weeks, then try to find a neutered male friend in a rescue centre.

I do not believe there are any rescues local to me unfortunately.

If you're looking to improve the indoor setup, then it would be better for you to toss the idea of having a cage altogether. No cage i've seen anywhere is ever big enough for a smaller rabbit, not to mention if many months down the line you're thinking of getting them a friend.

Have you looked through various websites to get your hands on a puppy excersise pen? I wasn't convinced at first but when i finally ordered one, it turned out to be just perfect. Most of them are panels that can be linked so they're easy to store and use just as many as needed, they can fit into more floor plans and even wonky, unusual shapes. They're also more customisable and don't need cleaning like cages and hutches.

Have you also thought about rabbit-proofing your room/s and seeing if partial freeroaming could work for you? It's what worked for me and our miniature apartment- i hid all plants, wires, edibles, sorry-to-lose items and to the best of my ability, wallpaper. Thanks to the xpen my buns no longer need to stay put in a too-small-for-two area at night or when nobody's home as i could easily attach a fitting number of panels to the existing enclosure walls so that they would stay safe of trouble. Our apartment is really small so we just use the wall and six of the eight panels we got. During the day if people are around we just move the panel chain around so that it blocks any unwanted exits.

Do you plan to visit a veterinarian and get your bun RHVD2 vaccinated?

Latest posts

Back