Should I completely separate two unneutered males?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiraeth.21

Reaction score
I feel like I ask a lot of questions. 😅

I have two un-neutered males. So far, I've been keeping them side-by-side in separate kennels until they're neutered. But I've just read that they should stay out of sight of each other. Should I be doing this? They've seemed really happy being side by side, I've caught one asking the other to groom him I believe (he was pressing his head bent down into the bars and the other was licking the top of his head?) and they've been laying side by side through the bars. Sometimes I feel bad, but I won't let them out together since they're both un-neutered. I hate to completely hide them from each other but I don't want them fighting either. One's 3 months and the other is 2 months.

Yeah definitely unless you get them both neautured boys will fight to there death same as females if the got there hormones

If they are getting along being next to each other then I would leave them there. It actually may facilitate bonding once they are neutered and you've waited the 4-8 weeks for the hormones to dissapate, as they will be somewhat use to one anothers company. If they weren't getting along then I would say yes, separate so they don't build up a dislike for one another. If they start to have any aggression through the bars then I would suggest separating their pens/cages.

Yes. I was also going to suggest to keep a close eye. Rabbits can harm each other through cage bars. Having a few inches of separation between the cages can prevent that.

I feel like I ask a lot of questions. 😅

I have two un-neutered males. So far, I've been keeping them side-by-side in separate kennels until they're neutered. But I've just read that they should stay out of sight of each other. Should I be doing this? They've seemed really happy being side by side, I've caught one asking the other to groom him I believe (he was pressing his head bent down into the bars and the other was licking the top of his head?) and they've been laying side by side through the bars. Sometimes I feel bad, but I won't let them out together since they're both un-neutered. I hate to completely hide them from each other but I don't want them fighting either. One's 3 months and the other is 2 months.
If they are 2 and 3 months old they are not males yet so as babes they just like each other and do their normal baby grooming and all. In a few weeks they will be changing a lot. When exactly depends on your individual rabbits, sometime between 12 weeks and 20 weeks.

In fact if you want to bond them they should be neutered as soon as your vet is willing to do that, some vets take boys from 4 months or when testicles fully dropped. After neutering they should stay separated for a few more weeks, if you neuter them soon it is possible that they will skip that humping/fighting phase but again, it depends.

Feel free to ask more questions we are happy to share what we know

Latest posts

Back