Should I buy him?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mockingjay

Reaction score
My parents have decided to finally let me own a rabbit. I need some advice: is this rabbit the right choice?

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27880051/

I've been doing months of research and am in between the ages of 10 and 14. Are there any other rabbits in North Carolina piedmont area that I should consider? I'm not picky, I just want a friendly (not shy) rabbit older than 2 years old and 5 pounds or smaller when full grown.

Thanks from Mockingjay!

He's a cutie! Rabbit personalities vary from one rabbit to the next, though - breed/gender isn't a good indication. How they're raised and how much they've been handled often play a significant role.

I recommend meeting him if possible and getting a feel for his personality, then deciding based on that. When adopting an adult, you get a better feel for their true personality than you would with a baby. Of course, I do see that he's listed as "very friendly"... and shelters/rescues are highly unlikely to advertise a bunny that way unless it's true, since their focus is on finding "forever homes" rather than just pawning off a rabbit on someone else (like one might see on Craigslist and such). Odds are, he'll be a sweetie :). Lionheads have a really adorable and unique look, too!

Welcome to RO, by the way! Feel free to visit us again any time you have questions or just want to chit-chat about your bunny (we LOVE pics)!

Thanks! I'll be going to meet him soon. Any advice on owning a bunny for a first time owner?

He is cute! I found my boys through a shelter on petfinder. I adore them! They are the best ever!
I think the best advice I got here was to get a shop vac. I got one for Christmas and I'm sure it will be helpful. Bunnies are little poop factories.
There are guides on here about feeding and care that are very helpful too.

He's very cute, old enough for what you're looking for, and neutered--I second the suggestion to go meet him, if you can! It looks like that shelter has a few rabbits up for adoption, but most others are in pairs. I assume that your parents only will allow you to have one bun for now?

When you're looking at the rabbits, be sure to know what your situation is. Are you housing them indoors or outdoors? In Bubba's case, he's an indoor bunny only, which needs to be considered. If you cannot supply indoor housing for him, I would seek out a different bunny.

Here's a few links for you:

House Rabbit 101
More details here.

Whatever your choice, be sure to get lots of pictures! The world could always use more photos of cute bunnies.

I would like an indoor bunny. We plan on going to visit him soon, in January! Thanks for the advice!

Meeting him is a good idea since you might find that he isn't want you want once you meet him (or that he is the perfect rabbit for you). Don't feel bad about saying no, you need to find the right one for you. Some rescues might allow you to take him home that day, so ask about their adoption process. If you could take him home, make sure you are set up and take a carrier with you.

As for having a first rabbit, do a lot of research. I would suggest getting a good cage or pen to start with, it can be expensive to upgrade since you already have the expensive of the first cage. An NIC cage, large wire dog crate or x-pen will work well and are usually not much more than a store bought cage. I would also suggest looking into rabbit savvy vets in your area, you never know when you will need one and it is good to know the vet. Scheduling an exam once your get the rabbit is good as well to get a base for health, meet the vet, and just get on file at the vet. Vets can be good to answer questions.

Keep an open mind, I had had rabbits for over 8 years and am still learning new things. Each rabbit is different, so the rabbit you get might do things you are not expecting and not fall into what is 'normal', but it still ok and right for him.

In my experience, Lionheads are a wonderful breed. He is totally adorable and would seem from the looks of him, he'd be a great pet. Good luck!

Bubba is adorable! Definitely go visit him!

Everyone has given helpful advice but one thing I may have missed, I think Lionheads are one of the fluffier rabbit breeds so be sure that you have the time to groom him. I have 2 Jersey wooly girls, another fluffy breed & I try to brush them every day but no less than every other day to prevent health problems from the ingestion of their fur. A little fur can be pushed through with a good diet of hay but too much hair can cause major life-threatening problems.

Grooming:
I use a dog pin brush like this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3727721&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Slicker brush like this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3465561&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Metal Comb: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12196445&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Zoom Groom: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750607&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

You might want to check for cheaper prices at your local store, Petco or Amazon.com.

As far as names, first thing that popped into my mind was from childhood, Peter Rabbit. I'm sure you will get lots of name suggestions. Oh, & I'm sure Bubba will be glad to help you pick his name!

Keep us updated! Need to know if Bubba has a new home with you & how he is doing should you get him! Wishing you & Bubba the best!

I also want to rename him, Bubba doesn't fit. Any name ideas?

See what he seems like when you get him and what his personality is..then name but see if he answers to Bubba and you may have to stick with it. I renamed one of my rescues back to the original name from the first owner because he answered to it and knew it was his name..

Also, I never met my rescue bunnies before I got them. I saw a pic , knew they were about to be put down and made the decision to take them and work things out after I got them home. Lionheads are SOOO Cute, so you should have fun!!!

Good luck

Vanessa

Thank you guys SO much! You all are so helpful and nice and all your advice is making things so much easier for me! And speaking of Lionheads, I just found out that the ARBA is going to recognise the Lionhead next year starting in February! I'm so excited! Ever since I found out about them a few months ago, I knew this would happen and I decided to make it my goal to have my own lionhead rabbit by the time they got recognized! Click on these links:

http://www.lionhead.us

https://www.arba.net/PDFs/LHFAQ.pdf

I think this is old news but I'm so excited!

Sounds like you have your head screwed on right and you are heading in the right direction.. lots of hay to eat, love and room to play.. are my tips.. lots of petting time and companionship if it is a single rabbit as they get lonely.. just keep asking questions if you need to , as i have on here and everyone will help.. Good luck with the little one.. let us know how your meeting goes.. xxxx:happybunny:

Don't worry, I'll be sure to keep you all posted! I definitely can't get him or see him today or tomorrow, but I can probably go see him and finish buying supplies on Wednesday or Thursday. After I meet him, I'll start a new topic for how it went. Thanks for all your responses, I didn't expect nearly this many!

Hah! Never underestimate how interested and excited we get over the thought of lots of pictures of someone's adorable new bunny ;).

Even though you've already gotten a lot of info, here is some breed specific info. :)ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388548471.815048.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388548498.997824.jpg

Oh that's very helpful! So is he a single mane gene or double mane?

I can't really see, I think he's possibly a double main. I've never owned one, but my friend does. I'll compare pictures, because she knows whether hers is double or single. :)

Latest posts

Back