Should I be worried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchLover

Reaction score
So I picked up Stitch and flipped him to practice for fair and get him used to it. I held on to him firmly since he's not a fan of the flipping and he started shaking really bad. My hands were moving really fast. So I put him back. He's stopped shaking but his ears are really warm almost hot to the touch. Is he getting sick or something?

I held his back legs and put my thumb under his chim and flipped him over onto his back with him in my lap.

I haven't seen a flip where you hold the back legs. We usually grab around their lower back, just above their hips and then scruff the head at the base of the ears, to turn them over. They don't usually freak because their back is being supported by one hand and an arm; however, it isn't unusual for their paws to tremble.

His whole body was shaking or just his legs? You're right though to get him used to it since judges will do it at the fair when they look at him.

majorv wrote:
I haven't seen a flip where you hold the back legs. We usually grab around their lower back, just above their hips and then scruff the head at the base of the ears, to turn them over. They don't usually freak because their back is being supported by one hand and an arm; however, it isn't unusual for their paws to tremble.

His whole body was shaking or just his legs? You're right though to get him used to it since judges will do it at the fair when they look at him.

Never heard about flipping a bunny using back legs either. FYI, Kreacher's little feet still shake when I flip.

K:)

I will scoop up the about to be flipped bun and sit on the couch. I'll shift the bun so their tush rests on my thigh and then gently holding them under their arms and around their chest tilt them slowly back so their head is on my lap, resting on top of my knees. I'll usually lean over them and keep my forearms snug along their body with my hands shifted from the chest to frame their face and keep their head straight. I'll stay like that till they are tranced and then slowly start either grooming or giving the once over.

When I'm all done I'll usually raise my knees, still together, up so their front end can curl back over and their feet land on my lap. All done slowly too. Then if they want to jump down from my lap or hang out for treats they have the choice.

I've never gone to a show or a fair where rabbits are judged, so I'm not sure how my buns would do with all the handling and touching. I'd say they'd probably come home afterwards and eat my FACE in the middle of the night, though.

:lipsrsealed:

I've never gone to a show or a fair where rabbits are judged, so I'm not sure how my buns would do with all the handling and touching. I'd say they'd probably come home afterwards and eat my FACE in the middle of the night, though.

I think eventually they'd get used to the car travel and sounds of a show, kind of like socializing a puppy or other pet. The difference though is rabbits are so fitful and easily prone to fright that more patience is probably needed.

I took my Atticus to the vet yesterday for a pre-neuter physical and he did all right. We carried him, but he had a harness/leash combo on. As long as someone was touching him he was fine. Can't say as I blame him. I don't like sitting on a cold table at the doctor's all alone either. Eep!

Latest posts

Back