Should I be worried? Breeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaK6

The Zoo Crew Rabbitry
Reaction score
Hello everyone...
I bought a "bred" pedigreed lionhead doe from a reputable breeder in our area, and Ive got an issue. According to the breeders records, she bred the doe on the 22nd of July. By my count, we should have had a litter by now if the breeding took. BUT the breeder told me that she was sure she was bred and confirmed by palpatation. The rabbit doesnt appear to be sick or in distress, but Im worried about the health of the doe as well as the kits. The doe has a nesting box, but hasnt pulled hair and shows little interest in building a nest w hay. I would guess myself that she was not bred, but I do believe I felt movement below her rib cage a few days ago. Did the breeder err in writing down breeding dates? Has anyone else had a doe go this long with a positive result? Ive read about administering tums to start contractions, but if the breeder is wrong on dates this could cause a problem too? Any advice?

Five days over is a very long time for a rabbit. I should think that she would have shown some sign of nest-building if she had been pregnant. If she was pregnant it's possible that you did feel movement but the kits may now be dead given how long she's possibly overdue. Like you said though, it may just not have taken. I would take her to the vet, they'll be able to let you know whether she was pregnant or not and if so, what can be done about removing them.

Five days over is a very long time for a rabbit. I should think that she would have shown some sign of nest-building if she had been pregnant. If she was pregnant it's possible that you did feel movement but the kits may now be dead given how long she's possibly overdue. Like you said though, it may just not have taken. I would take her to the vet, they'll be able to let you know whether she was pregnant or not and if so, what can be done about removing them.
--gestation period equals about 30 days,,--that given,with a known pregnancy --any time afterward is extremely important and of the utmost importance to the doe,s health and wellbeing to at least have a radiograph of the tummy area,,--the kits can die if labor does not produce results,,also resulting with the death of the doe/-the kits die and turn toxic to the doe which in turn dies,,--been there done that cynario--god speed,,-I,ll will pray,--:panic::panic::shock:--sincerely james waller--:brownbunny:pullhair::bouquet:

I would agree to get her seen to by a vet in case, it does sound like she hasn't took though but if it was me i would want to get her checked just to err on the side of caution

It's very possible the breeder just thought the palpation was positive. If she is showing no signs of distress or getting ready to kindle then that would be my guess. You could try massaging her belly to see if you can stimulate labor, but the alternative is to have the vet do an ultrasound or possibly xray to see if there's anything there.

I agree with majorv. I actually have one right now that is about to give birth and I'm sorta positive she is pregnant. Palpating takes a while to get used to but it's very possible she mistook a baby for a kidney or something (I've done that before). Agree that a vet would be able to definitively tell if she was pregnant via X-ray or ultrasound

The normal gestation period is 28-32 days. My guess is when you bought her bred and transported her you cause her stressed, I had a friend that was moving and they brought a pregnant doe and she ended up reabsorbing the kits because of the stress in transporting her while she was in gestation. If shes not showing signs of stress and she eating, drinking and going to the bathroom regularly she should be ok. Palpate her do you feel any marbles or large grapes in her? If not shes not pregnant. If you do you should take her to the vet to have him try to stimulate birth or to get the doe to reabsorb the kits. If she is pregnant and she does kindle the litter will most likely be DOA's

Also as james waller said if she is pregnant and she has kits in her they can become toxic and can eventually kill the doe. My same friend had this happen to one of their doe's very sad experience.

Try to get in contact with the breeder, ask them to double check the dates, you could explain the situation to the breeder. They may be able to help more than we could.

Last edited:
The stress of transport was in my mind too. As it was a hot, humid day and the trip was over 3 hours one way. She is eating, doesnt appear to be stressed now (she was quite agitated the first day or two of being home). There was another doe that the breeder was presenting to me to buy, that i didnt end up getting. She was also bred... but I was reading through the corresponding emails and noticed when she was referring to dates she mixed the two up more than once, stating one was bred July 22 and one on July 30th. So now Im beginning to wonder if the paperwork is accurate that was given to me. If I did get the doe that was bred on the 30th, it would make sense as to why there has been no activity with Pepper (the doe). The vet was unavailable today, but will see her tomorrow.

I guess I would do business differently, as she had to have had between 80-100 rabbits... Not a one of them were in labeled cages, tattooed or marked. When I was being shown available rabbits, I noticed one of the rabbits didnt even go back to the same pen he had been in. I know I woupdnt have been able to keep accurate records this way. SORRY... I dont mean to rant :(

I'm kind of shocked, not about the amount of rabbits that is fine what is upsetting is the breeder doesn't have them labeled with a large rabbitry you should organize the rabbits better, and put ID tags on the cages.
With your rabbit put a nestbox in tomorrow and wait til the 30th if she doesn't deliver wait 3 more days, if she still doesn't deliver than she wasn't pregnant.
You should palpate her that is the best way to tell if she will kindle. At this stage in the gestation the babies should be very easily felt.
ARBA is a great source of information when it comes to breeding.
https://www.arba.net/PDFs/palpation.pdf

Vet checked: if she was bred, she isnt now. Its ok, shes in great health. We'll wait a bit and give it another try. I have a handsome siamese sable buck to try out!! :)

Latest posts

Back