Shots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopsy

Reaction score
My internet is finally fixed!

I have to pet rabbits that live outside. There are two squrrils thatcome in with them and eat there food. Me and my friend made up a groupcalled "squirrel chasers" (odd I know). Well we saw them in the cageand they attacked Fluffy!! So I am going to find out if rabbits can getrabie shots. The rabbits veteranian said that they can't... which Ihighly doubt.

So can Fluffy and Flopsy get rabie shots?

There are not approved rabies vaccines forrabbits in the US. I would be rather concerned about thesquirrel attacking (squirrels can transmit rabies). Youreally need to catch the squirrel and submit it to the healthdepartment, and you also need to be concerned about handling the rabbituntil you know for certain that squirrel isn't rabid. My sonhad to have rabies shots -- and although they no longer give them inthe stomach, the first shot was still excruciatinglypainful.Rabies is a very serious concernand you need to address this problem and prevent squirrels from havingaccess to you rabbits.

Pam

As of yet there is no rabies shot forrabbits. I think you should also look at how they came incontact and prevent any future attacks.

A squirrel that has rabies will generally act differently.Such as going up to a dog within a couple feet, not having fearetc. We had a squirrel here that acted real funny and aneighbors brother was a nature officer and said it probably hadrabies. They got the one with a small pellet gun.None other the others acted the same then or since.

You probably want to check on the timeframe you need toisolate the rabbit to be sure it is not exhibiting symptoms of rabies.

Catching the same squirrel would be extremely difficult, and being sureit is the exact same one is also a problem. Isolation isprobably the best way to go.

ed

Hi Flopsy,

So glad you got your internet fixed.

Poor Fluffy! I hope she's doing okay.

Hope you found a way so that those squirrels can't do this again.

-Carolyn

Back