Shots!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMom2

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about shots like which shots do bunnies take and if you can give shots to your bunny by yourself or you need to be licensed for giving shots to your bunny by yourself at home or I can just do it?

Traditionally, rabbits in the US do not get vaccinations. The more recent exception is for the quickly spreading RHDV2. There have been vaccinations for this disease in Europe & Australia for years, but they've only more recently been approved here in the US. Even so, the vaccines are not readily available nationwide. Check here for possible veterinary practices that have and administer these vaccines (given only by vets as far as I know).

Myxomatosis is another disease for which there are vaccines available in other countries-- just not in the US, though the disease exists here in limited areas.

For more info about RHDV2, see this thread here on RO:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rhvd2-in-the-us-what-you-need-to-know-includes-map-pg-3.99131/

As Blue Eyes said, in the US there's really only one vaccination that rabbits get, the RHDV vaccine. It's a relatively new one here. It only started to be given in the last few years, as the virus wasn't really spread to North America until 2018. Before then there were only isolated cases that were contained.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Rabbit_hemorrhagic_disease
https://rabbit.org/health/rhd/
The vaccine does have to be given by a vet, as the USDA has specific regulations for it, including the rabbit be microchipped. Two shots 3 weeks apart are given, then one annually if you want to keep the vaccination current.

There is a pasteurella vaccine, and this can be given by individuals, if you know how to properly give sub q injections to rabbits. But it's not really a well known or commonly given vaccine for pet rabbits, and I don't know the effectiveness of it. But if you're interested, I would suggest to definitely research it thoroughly first.

thank you so much for the info, and one little question if I don’t really know how to properly give sub q injections to bunnies, is it still safe for me to give injections because I have never done it before? and will they get hurt?

thank you so much for the info, and one little question if I don’t really know how to properly give sub q injections to bunnies, is it still safe for me to give injections because I have never done it before? and will they get hurt?
Unless you are experienced with giving shots, you should not attempt it. But it doesn't really apply in your case anyway. The pastuerella vaccine isn't commonly given anyway (as Jenny mentioned). The one that you may want to consider is the one for RHDV2, and that one can only be administered by a vet.

Thank you for the information, and by any chance do you know if Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus is a must vaccine for bunnies because I searched and it’s a vaccines for Myxomatosis.

If you're located in the UK or Europe, then yes, the Nobivac vaccine would be an available vaccine through prescription by a vet there.

But your profile location is showing you're in the US. If that's correct, then Medgene is the only rhdv vaccine legally allowed to be sold, to vets, and given to rabbits as a prescription med by the vet, here in the US. Nobivac and other medications and vaccines from other countries, aren't something that can just be ordered from another country and imported into the US legally. This requires USDA licensing.

Oh.. okay thank you so much for the information, and it’s my first time having bunnies as a 15year old so I’m doing a lot of researching about vaccines and best supplies for bunnies and this helped me a lot so thank you.

Back