Short Story Competition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
I have entered this short story competititon on the internet and the 1st prize is £150 :shock:

I don't think I will win but I still did it - the winner and runners up will be announced in October.

The 2nd prize is £50 and 3rd is £25

I'd be happy with any of them! Towards Dippy's neuter!

Wish me luck!

Defintly (sp?) Hold on lemme just find it They gave us 3 pictures and we pick one and use it to write the story:

http://www.jbwb.co.uk/rowboatbg.jpg

The cool water was still under the light weight of the boat. I shivered even though I had my coat on. The lunch I had packed for the day was in my faded old backpack on my shoulders. I climbed carefully onto the boat and settled down – this is what I did every Saturday morning. I opened my bag and pulled out my book, A Midsummer’s Night Dream. I heard a rustle in the bushes there were two tourists emerging from the trees. They were two young boys, very good looking – they looked rather worried. They were speaking in German. I was quite surprised I knew this because I rarely paid attention in languages at school. I tried to work out what they were saying.

“Oh nein, nein!”

Now, I didn’t pay much attention but that did not sound good – I had to find out more.

“Sprechen Sie Englisch?” I said hoping I sounded sophisticated and confident in front of these “hotties.”

“Yes – I do,” one said. I was relived.

“What’s wrong – you sounded worried before?”

“Oh, umm – Nothing you need to worry about kid!” he replied with a beautiful accent. They walked off. [/b]

I went back to my boat, though I couldn’t concentrate on my book. What were they so worried about? I heard them break twigs as they walked and push strong branches out of their path. Maybe if I followed them I could find out more. With my bag in my hand I clambered out of the boat and hurried to follow them. Trying to step quietly, eventually I caught up with them. They were silent apart from the occasional grunt as one of their feet got caught on uneven ground. After about 10 minutes of stalking finally one of them said “Was werden wir tun?” I thought hard back to my weekly German lessons what on earth did it mean?

“Ich weiB nicht!” I knew what that meant! “I don’t know!” I looked around and realised I had no idea where I was. The trees had got closer together and there was a roof of leafy green above me and a carpet of twigs beneath me.

All of a sudden the trees opened out into a beautiful scene filled with life and colours. Birds sang in the suddenly blossoming trees. Something didn’t seem right – it was like I was in another world. There was a strange feeling about this, the two boys headed to a large cave. If they turned around they would spot me. I decided to hide behind a colossal rock.

Now they spoke in hushed voices I couldn’t understand what they were saying. As they disappeared into the cave I followed slowly, taking note of my surroundings. It took a while for my eyes to get used to the darkness inside the cave. I heard a sudden snarl coming from deep down inside the cave. A low rumble that filled my ears and filled my body with fear. I wanted to turn around and run back to the boat but something inside of me urged me to go on and find out what made that spine tingling noise.

There were no other thoughts in my head, it was like this fear was not letting anything else into my mind.

Another low rumble filled the air. I had to keep walking quickly and find out what it was before fear froze me.

All of a sudden the cave was filled with light my eyes were drawn to a creature in the corner a large wolf type animal was hunched over. He glanced up – “What?” He snarled in an accent. A familiar accent. The same accent I had heard earlier. It couldn’t be. And how can a wolf talk? I started to think I was hallucinating. What is going on? I asked.

The wolf looked away, I glared at him he sighed and started to explain “We come from Germany, we are called “Wollafines” we are mystical creatures, we eat meat…” On that note I started yelling.

“No, No, Before you start shouting let me explain, Germany’s troops are hunting us, we had to escape and save ourselves otherwise we will fade away into non existence.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, I was staring at a Wollafine – I never even knew they existed. I never even knew that word existed.

So why did you come here?

“This is where we started, this is where the first pack of Wollafine’s began. They then spread to each country. Most of them didn’t go any further apart from the two that came to Germany. Those two grew and eventually had more Wollafine’s they then spread across the world. Our pack in Germany are in serious danger, if we get killed then it might be the end of the Wollafine species.”

It took some time for all this information to sink in. The Wollafine groaned noisily. I glanced up at him.

“Sorry, I’m hungry – you better leave in case I lose control,” His gruff voice said hurriedly.

I didn’t have to be asked twice. I ran out of the cave as fast as my short legs would carry me. I looked around wondering how I would get back to my boat. I headed over to a clearing and there was the river. My boat floating on top of the water. I blinked just to check I wasn’t dreaming. But no it was real, I ran over and got in carefully. I think I deserve some lunch I decided.

After I had done I thought maybe this was enough for today, I wanted to go home and have a rest. So much for my normal relaxing day in the boat. As I got out my foot slipped and I fell into the freezing water. I broke the still rivers surface. Ripples spread across the water as fish sped out of the way of my flailing arms and legs. A splash next to me startled me. Dark paws grabbed my torso, and pulled me onto his back. It was a Wollafine.

When I was safe on his back I found my voice,

“Thanks,” I stammered.

He just grunted and waded to the bank. He tipped me off his back suddenly and I fell to the ground with a bump.

I gave him a small smile and was about to tell him Thanks again when he turned and ran away.

That was the last I ever saw of that Wollafine, and I never saw another Wollafine again. I probably never will. That was also the last Saturday I went and sat on the boat, I decided to go hiking and search for the mystical cave, I just couldn’t seem to find it. And no one else would come with me, they thought I had gone mad. I guess there are just something’s you will never know if they are true or not.

Wow - that's really good!

The only short story I have is this, and I warn you, its weird:

It is late evening, the child runs out onto the moonlit green, searching for something in the lean grass, she had only the light of the moon to guide her as she gazes into the ground in melancholy. She swore she had it on her earlier, she swore to look after it, she swore she wouldn’t lose it, but, as whenever we promise ourselves something, the worst always seems to happen.

It started with a doll, a small wooden doll her mother had given her. A dress of embroidered orange silk, the stitching on it as fine and golden as a thread of Rapunzels hair or the spun gold of that millers daughter who had given her word in exchange for a name, her tiny painted face relentlessly smiling in sympathy. Since then she had never managed to hold onto anything for long. Each precious gift would go missing in time, no matter how extensively she clung to it, as a spider clings its sticky, furred, legs to a painted wall. Someone had taken it, it had been there and now it was gone, she remembered it clear as day, even though the dim night had already crept in, had muted the daylight. Innocence has flushed from her cheeks into a guilty crimson. There was no end to her excuses.

After that it was an antique music box, engraved with her initials in the cursive script of an antique bible. The tune it played as the tiny figure turned and swirled and spiralled had sent chills down her spine whenever she heard it. After its elusive disappearance she had heard the tune again, sinister, at night, but only ever when her eyes were closed. She would reach out for it in longing, almost touching, her fingertips longing for the touch of the bitter, reassuring metal. Then it was gone. It started with a doll and it finished with a tiny golden ball.

Morning, the sun shone down, touching her ashen skin with its golden tendrils. Her father knew nothing about her missing gift; she knew it would break his ruby heart to hear of its disappearance. She’d searched and hunted all night with no luck. Maybe the vivid morning sun would cast its glow into the direction of her golden orb. I’d do anything to get it back.

She looked into the horizon, scanning her eyes across the emerald earth. She could see the shape of something, developing in detail as it edged toward her. Movement, his thin body swerving and slithering towards her, his eyes as green as the ground he slipped across. His skin so smooth. You are looking for something, he whispered, his red tongue caressing the soft flesh of his inner cheek, looking for something I have. He unravelled his palm like a spring bud opening to the sun, and there it was, growing and shrinking in his fleshy hold, the light ebbing and flowing off of it like the scales of an iridescent water-snake stirring below the surface of azure waters. Take it. Green omniscient eyes embraced her body, her breathing slows, her blood feels as though it is trickling through her body like the fresh, cool stream that ran beside her. She reached out, just as she had in her dreams, the same soft fingertips, the same enchanting tune, the same cool touch. His lips met hers. Inhaling the warm breath from her lungs. The blood drained from her eyes.

She hugged the floor, her fingernails gripping to the hard earth, the world was spinning, she was falling, the gravity pulled her further down. A single tear flew from her eye into the sky. Then, she slept.

He curled his body around her, jaws wide. The scales of his cracked skin rubbed against hers. A glow of a beady eye. A flick of a red tongue. A flash of those white-hot raw teeth, jagged and roughen. He engulfed her. And slinked away.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Thats really good! You may have a chance at winning! Very nice! Lol.

I dont think I could write a short story! Most of my stories are 25+ pages and they're not even finished! My longest story right now is well over 60 pages and I've got massive writers block on ALL my stories right now...except I've actually been coming up with like three or four new ideas and I have like 10 stories already started! I may start two of the new ideas tonight lol...I just have to finish getting inspired....

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Thats really good! You may have a chance at winning! Very nice! Lol.

I dont think I could write a short story! Most of my stories are 25+ pages and they're not even finished! My longest story right now is well over 60 pages and I've got massive writers block on ALL my stories right now...except I've actually been coming up with like three or four new ideas and I have like 10 stories already started! I may start two of the new ideas tonight lol...I just have to finish getting inspired....

Emily

Thats what I do - I've written one about 54 pages and then I lost half of it and can't remember what I wrote so I've given up on that one.

I love writing stories - I am trying to get one published. Its really hard to write short stories. That one for the comp. had to be under 2500 and i had to end it there becuase I would of gone over.... :(

Becca :rose::rofl::brownbunny

Yeah I just started a new and different story today that I thought about when I was on the bus coming home from school. I've already got 6 pages of it! I think it's going to be really good, I just have to figure out where the end is going to go. The beginning was easy, because I thought about it the most, but now the ending is going to be difficult to piece together.

Emily

I really enjoyed reading your short story! Keep writing--you're very creative, and this piece was full of suspense, which I love.

Good luck!

Kathy

that's really good Becca.

i loved this- “Oh, umm – Nothing you need to worry about kid!” he replied with a beautiful accent.

i've seen more girls fall for my friend after a word or two with that German accent:rollseyes

but who/what are the boys? Wollafines too?

i hope you win!

Our brief (this was my Y12 coursework) was a short story or extract based on the works of Angela Carter's 'The Bloody Chamer'. If any of you have read Angela Carter, she is a loon. The Bloody Chamber is a variation of the Bluebeard fairytale. All the stories in her book are twisted variations of classic Fairytales, they are WEIRD.

So mine was a twisted variation of the Frog Prince. Angela Carter makes up words too, and she doesn't put full stops in sentences for ages, hence why it may appear as 'bad grammar'.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Becca, how old are you again? Your writing is very very good! You have a great imagination and I'd encourage you to keep at it. Being highly recommended is quite an honor, kudos to you!

:great:

Back