She's not eating!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Our new little holland isn't acting right. She's been with us less than 24 hours but she hasn't eaten anything since we brought her home??? She just seems quiet and sits in a corner. I've gotten her out three times since we brought her home and she's really calm, I can flip her over holding her gently and she is just as calm as can be. She will scratch a bit if she gets to scared and then I sit her back down gently. I can't remember miffy being that small lol. I have some food from the breeder I've been giving her and over the next two weeks i'll slowly switch her to my food.

Should i be concered?

Right now I have her in a extremeley large cat carrier - not plastic it's got wire on the top and two sides, and plastic on the other two sides. I found a HUGE crate for 35 dollars from someone that I am picking up on Sunday and I'll probably put miffy in the new crate and put this baby in Miffy's crate for now. That way I have a few months to save up to get another huge crate for this new little bun. :)

is she pooping??

i think its very common in rabbits to not eat in a new invoronment but 24 hours is a long time. maybe you should try to feed her some veggies or fruits (unless she is very young)

put some hay right up to her nose and hold it there.

Moved to the Infirmary:)

It could be the stress of a new environment. Keep a close eye on her, and if she's not eating by tommorow, I would call the vet. Is she pooping?

Yes she's pooping. That is clear. She also keeps peeing on me. Miffy never did that. I think she's just really young. I'd say she's probably about 7 weeks old maybe 8. I tried hay, didn't work. :(

i guess just give her more time. i bet she eats when you are asleep and the house is all quite.

from what i hear its fine unless poops get smaller and smaller and then she doesnt poop at all. try not to worry yourself yet. i would leave her only and maybe she will get used to her envoronment faster and start eating

If she's pooping normally, then it probably just is stress. But like I said, she needs to be eating soon.

Have you tried Nutri-Cal? It's a good appetite stimulant, and it provides some calories and vitamins. My buns hate the taste so much that they have to eat something to get the taste out of their mouths. That's how I got Mocha to eat after her spay and Loki to eat after I adopted him. He refused to eat until I tried that. You just squish a little on a paw and they lick it off.

Nope I haven't tried that yet naturestee but if she doesn't eat in a few days maybe I will do that. I am hoping she's just nervous. I can understand how she would be.

Thanks,

Sara

Actually, if she doesn't eat in a few days you need a vet. I'd try the Nutri-cal now- you can get it from most pet stores in the dog or cat aisles. I got mine at Petsmart. Rabbits that don't eat for more than 24 hours can have major issues with GI stasis. They need to be syringe fed to get food in them and they need vet care. So waiting a couple days isn't a very good idea.

Actually, while you're at the pet store pick up a feeding syringe just in case. I always have one around for emergencies.

I don't know if this will help or not, but when we got Clover (2 or 3 week old wild cottontail who was attacked by a dog) he couldn't eat. I had to start by syringe feeding him for a week or so and then I knew he had teeth but they were barely there.....

I put his pellets in really warm water - just enough to make them swell and soften to a powder almost..... and I added just a bit of baby bananas .... until he got to where he'd eat the pellets alone. HE LOVED THAT STUFF! :bunnydance:

I hope it goes well. Bo was young when we got him also. He ate like a pig tho. :brownbunny

She's got teeth I checked, she's just so small but lol it may just be that it's been a long time since I've seen them that small, miffy is huge to me now lol. I have her food measured and so I'll know by tomorrow afternoon if she has eaten any. I have to wonder though, how much will a baby eat? Miffy was put on a diet as suggested by the breeder she came from to about 1/2 a cup a day. Not sure how much to give this little one?

Baby rabbits should get as much alfalfa pellets as they want, plus hay. It's pretty rare for baby rabbits to eat too much, especially since they're not only growing but active.

I agree with Naturestee on starting with a little Nutri Cal ASAP. Works wonders to help with the stress of the transition. Also contains vitamin E for good intestinal health and gives a glucose boost to bunnies off their feed. You can also try a small piece of dandelion leaf or a little grated carrots.

Hopefully, she'll start eating over the next couple days. It's not unusual for them to go off feed during the stress of the move.

Pam

I gave Bo unlimited alfalfa pellets as a baby - he never ate more than 1/2 cup and that was when he got older. Clover hardly eats them - they like their hay mostly..... Bo eats 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets a day now but they are timothy based.

Baby bunnies are used to eating about 2 times per day from mommy - but then when they go on pellets - it's maybe a more nibble here and there thing.

When I syringe fed, I think he only took 1/2 to 1 tsp tops. He's tiny tho.

I did what I had to with Clover - he got fed or offerred food every 3 hours until he got on a 3 x a day schedule and ate well. Then he got hay, grass and moist pellets.

I just saw this lol. Sorry everyone I reasked the question about how much to feed her again in the main thread.

She's eating like a little pig. From reading everyones info I am not feeding her enough and will start feeding her every few hours. Thanks everyone and sorry for not seeing that my question was answered before I reposted.

:)

Sara

Latest posts

Back