Sherry's Sick :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I thought Dill was the culprit when I found a bag of brown rice on the floor with a hole chewed in it -- he must have dragged it out of the cupboard. I've been keeping an eye on him, he's been doing great. But now Sherryhas gone into a hunch position in a corner and is refusingtreats, etc.

I'll put her in an infirmarycage to monitor her poops, no poopy butt or anything noticible as yet.

Any suggestions, insight re: bunniesODing on brown rice? I'm not giving herany water in this case, not sure if that will expand it.Or will it help it pass?

Maybe some mineral oil or something?

I'll be hauling out the Simethicone.

Help?

sas :?

Oh my gosh! This is so horrible!!! I will be praying for her.

Have you considered calling and emergency vet for insight?

I think I know more than the vet on shift right now at my regular clinic and the ER place doesn't even pretend to know bunnies.

But you did remind me our vet was open late tonight (Sherry didn't start looking sick until 6 PM, the usual closing time early in the week, figures). I called and sure enough, he says the rice won't hurt her.

Right.

"But she appears to be in pain and she refused a treat," I sez.

"She's probably just full," he sez.

Very helpful. <insert 'sigh' icon here>

I know enough to watch for the high carbs throwingher gut off balance, but not sure what other problemsto watch for. And not sure about giving her water ormineral oil. :huh

I have no idea...

We do give rice water to our buns to help when they have diarrhea so I can imagine that it would cause a nasty case of constipation? I would figure that something natural that would encourage poop might help. I hope someone has a better idea. Can you call a vet who might know?

Poor Sherry!

I was thinking the same thing about the rice and water expanding it. I wonder if syringing her some pumpkin would be good? Something to get the gut moving?

Do you have any idea how much she ate?

Never give mineral oil orally via syringe - it can be extremely dangerous (fatal)if aspirated.

Do NOT withhold water.

Was the rice in a plastic bag or a cardboard carton?

Pam

Im just thinking, you know how when we eat rice it expands in our tummies and we're very full for a while and then it passes?

Im wondering if this could be temporary- like in a few hours she'll go to the bathroom or something and be ok. Except it scares me to think of anything expanding in a bunny's stomach.

I think for that, the best thing would encourage Sherry to rid her system of it more quickly. I would try the pumpkin suggestion.

The "expanding rice" story is only a myth. Many animals eat raw rice (as well as people)and don't explode : )

Hoever, if Sherry gorged herself on the rice, she may certainly have a tummy ache.

Pam

Thanks Pam, that's the info I was looking for. :)

They ate a hole in a plastic bag, but that's not unusual. I just discovered my laundry bin has a pretty large chunkof hard plastic missing, probably from a week ago or longer,and I don't recall seeing any pieces lying around. :shock:Ditto with linoleum, drywall and a myriad of other things. A plastic bag doesn't worry me much anymore.

She probably atea lot of rice, though.

And thanks for the pumpkin suggestion, Haley, MsBinky, that wasa good plan.

I've been keeping her moving -- not running her behind the car or anything, but not letting her stay hunched up behind the johntoo long, and it seems to be working.I've been letting her drink at will -- which she does once I shooher out of herhiding spot.

She's started eating a littlehay -- I won't give her anypellets - and she's looking a bit livelier. We'll see how the poops look. She justspent a lot of time in her box, but I forgot toclean it (bad bunny slave!!) so not exactly sure what she produced or didn't produce.

I think she's just got a garden variety tummy ache, though. She sure looksa lot better than Pipp didafter she broke into the oat drawer.

Thanks again guys.

Pipp wrote:
They ate a hole in a plastic bag, but that's not unusual. I just discovered my laundry bin has a pretty large chunkof hard plastic missing, probably from a week ago or longer,and I don't recall seeing any pieces lying around. :shock:Ditto with linoleum, drywall and a myriad of other things. A plastic bag doesn't worry me much anymore.
Hehehe :hyper:pipkin ate a big chunk of a post on our screen porch this spring! I was mortified. But you're right...now a chewed plastic bag would seem like nothing to me.

Hope that Sherry's feeling better soon and that all turns out well. :balloons:

-Mary Ellen

Silly silly wabbits. I 'm glad to hear she is doing ok so far. Anf f course no explosions are always a good thing!
A friend of mine's Doberman ate a whole bag of rice once and he did ok, just a bit of a tummy ache. So hopefully, she will be just fine.
I haven't had to face something like this....yet. I'm sure I will at some point though. All my buns seem to do is escape and get stuck in their basket handles!
Had to been scary for you, still is I'm sure.
I'll keep watching for updates.. hugs to you and lots of love to your buns :)

~Sealy

How's ms. Sherry doing? Any cahnge? Any poops?

I think we have :litterhealthy:. It's hard to tell seeing as I thought it would be detrimental to lock her up -- she needed to work off her gluttony. ;)

But there's a ring of smallish but otherwise healthy poops around the foster bunnies, and that's usually a Sherry thing.

She is certainly back to eating. I think she expanded her stomach with the rice and now she has a bigger area to fill!

Thanks to all for the support!

sas :)

Latest posts

Back