Shelter Bunny with Head Tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
Liz is wondering if this shelter bunny is having problems connected to this medication.

I am posting our facebook conversation and hoping Randy will be able to take a look or if there's anyone who can give her some info.

Liz
Hi Minda! Do you know if acarexx is safe for rabbits with ear mnites? I have a shelter situation, as usual.

Minda
let me check

Liz
thanks!

Minda

Acarexx....kitten dose....one time dosing.....requires prescription (in the US anyway).
Randy gives it the thumbs up, so I would say yes!

Liz
ok. we have a head tilt bunny who was given this. I am just wondering if it was the wrong dose???

Minda
oh gosh, I hope not, who gave the dose?

Liz
the vet at the shelter on 12/31. they called me on tues to p/u for rescue due to head tilt and a corneal abrasion. i guess they noticed mites when he was neutered on 12/31. it has taken me since tues. to get the info right. he is at dr. e's . i LOVE him.

Minda
well, if it was that long ago that he got the dose and he's all right, maybe it was the right dose? What is making you wonder about it?

Liz
what caused the head tilt? he was fine before it was given.

Minda
ohhhh...then that would be a concern

Liz
dosed and neutered on 12/31...head tilt on 1/13!! also some edema in the eyes per dr. e.

Minda
then it definitely could be a connection, or if the ears were cleaned with a fluid that didn't dry, but instead, leaked down into the ear canal

Liz
i know the shelter vet did an ear cleanse on him per the kennel mgr. ps nothing was documented!!!!

Minda
in the same post I quoted, Randy also posted about vets not using cleansers on mite ears that are drying fast enough.

Liz
hmmmm..now i can confer with dr. e. we were left in the dark till i went to the shelter today and insisted on more info. we didn'tknow what we were dealing with. the good news is he has a home when he leaves the clinic. Could youplease ask randy if he thinks this eyemthing is related? Thanks sooo much. And could this also be from incorrect dosing?

Minda
I will post and ask, yes :):)

Your rabbit most likely has an ear infection with the primary infection in the "down" side. Mites cancause a secondary infection. Acarexx is a variation of Ivermectin. In kitten dosing, I have never had a problem and Ivermectin toxicity will usually present in other ways. I would tryculturing any debris in that ear. Most likely it will be pasteurella if it's a bacterial infection. Sometimes pasteurella will not grow in a petri dish soif I have symptoms of a bacterial infection with no growth, I treat for pasteurella. I usually fight pasteurella with either Zithromax, Penicillin (safe as an injectable), Convenia (safe as an injectable) or possible Zeniquin. I have also used Chloramphenicol in some cases. I also use Baytril Otic in the ears but it is important to get the meds deep inside the canal.

I am a little concerned about the eye. Has an x-ray been done on the skull? If not, get some done if possible. It is possible you are seeing the early signs of a dental abscess.

If the corneal abrasion isn't healing, have your vet put one drop of Acetylcysteine in the eye each day. Keep the "down" eye lubricated as it will tend to dry out.

Ear infections need to be hit by the big guns. An improperly treated ear infection can involve the brain stem and that isn't good....I have a Florida White here with that very issue. Most of these meds will not be something your vet will be familiar in using with vets. I can consult with your vet as to treating this condition as far as drugs and support protocols. Something to keep a watch on....ear infections can sometimes result in very high body temps....it is important to manage the body temp if a fever should develop.

Randy

Yep an ear infection is probably it! When my rabbit david originally came to the shelter they thought he had head tilt but really it was just an ear infection. It's important to keep those big fluffy ears clean!

Yep, usually you shouldn't put anything into the ear of a bunny. The exception may be in very serious ear mite cases, where there's lots of crusty nastiness. Other than that, putting anything in the ear can lead to an ear infection.

Back