Shedding Rabbit Itching Alot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloft

Reaction score
hi there!
I have 4 rabbits. 1 boy holland lop named Boots (used to have another Holland lop but she passed away this week) 1 New Zealand White girl named Beatrice, 1 lionhead girl named Pippa, and another lionhead boy named Archie. The lionheads have been inside bunnies since I got them in February. Boots and Beatrice were outside rabbits. Boots and Evie (the one that died) lived inside with a family but they weren’t being taken care of at ALL and were in horrible care and condition, so they gave them away to me. I put them outside with Beatrice because Beatrice needed a companion and she loved being outside. They loved it for a while. They could finally hop around and feel the sun and eat grass, etc. just be free. They had a great hutch outside that gave them tons of room if they were locked up but I let them out all the time. This summer was soooooo hot and I noticed that they weren’t taking it very well. I know rabbits don’t do very well in the heat anyways. I’ve had Boots and Evie for about 3-4 months. I usually put them in my air conditioned garage if it’s super hot. Evie passed away this week. She had so many health problems when I picked her up. But she was happy here with me for a while so that’s good. After she passed, I just decided to put the outside bunnies inside. They were getting mites in their ears and were just having a number of problems. Them being outside was good until it got so hot. They were probably the most well protected and free outside rabbits ever. I predator-proofed their house really well. They loved getting out and eating grass.
So I ended up moving them inside with me. This was just about 4 days ago. They live next to Archie and Pippa in an enormous dog crate until I can get them a hutch. I still let them out so they can exercise. So far, they seem happy and I think are healthier. I can watch them better now and take care of them more as far as brushing, etc. Boots and Beatrice are really skittish. Beatrice was grown when I got her. I rescued her, and Boots so they weren’t ever loved or shown affection or held. So it’s hard to brush them and all of that. Anyways, Boots has always had a problem with shedding. Since I got him. He sheds like crazy. He’s constantly chewing his fur and scratching himself. He’s a long haired Lop if that’s a thing. It’s so hard to brush him, but I don’t want him ingesting too much fur. Is there anything I can do? Anything to make brushing easier for him? I also have some waterless bath spray with Aloe in it because I thought it might help the itching. It doesn’t seem to work all to well but maybe I should give it more time.

Also, whenever I let Boots and Beatrice out to exercise, anytime they get near Archie and Pippas house, Archie and Pippa start attacking each other and just going insane. So I’ve started to put Archie upstairs in the hutch if I let them out. Anything I can do to help this as well? Archie and Pippa don’t get along well with Boots and Beatrice.

Latest posts

Back