Shedding Hair removal - has anyone used these?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfritzp

Reaction score
I have been doing some research on a couple of 'hair removal' tools:
The Furminator
and
Shedender

They both claim to remove the loose undercoat hair.
The Shedender seems to be a cheaper version ($9 to $15) of
the Furminator ($22 to $29)

I can't find any actual users reviews on them. They look to be ideal, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

I am going crazy with Nick (a Holland Lop) who is constantly shedding.Maggie is always grooming him, so I try to get as much hair off him asI can every day. But, I can sit for an HOUR with him, and get only afew inches of him 'pulled'. For a little rabbit, he sure is hairy!

peapoo (holland lop) is the same way...she getshair all over everything... i havent tried either one of those...ivejust been trying to brush it out...its not working... if you findanything that works please let us know... im goin to start tryingdifferent things

I just ordered a Shedender from a guy on Ebay($12.97 with the shipping - not bad!) so I will post a review after Iget it and use it on the little fur ball.
My next option is SHAVING him - then he would look like Sabastian...
Where do you get a Speedo that small, though?...

Nick had a case of Fur-Mites (UGH!) which he wastreated for and is over, but since the Ivermectin injections (the firstone was the middle of November, and he got it q 10 days x 3) he's beenshedding - but nice new fur is growing underneath, so as it comes in,the top fur is shedding off. It's in patches though, so he looks like apatch work quilt right now. Yesterday I pulled off a bunch of hair offthe top of his head, and he now looks like he has a part between hisears!
I went through this with Checkers (RIP) after her bout with Fur Mites,and after forever shedding, she had the most beautiful coat she everhad (she was a Rex).
So I'm hoping the same will happen with my handsome boy - I'm justimpatient and running out of lint rollers! (though - I did get a fewfor Christmas - from people sick of seeing me covered with fur!!!;))

Oh ok. I was worried you might be havingsome issues. I'm glad he's getting better. I have the best thing for meis a shedding blade. I found mine at Petco for $5 I think it was. I'msure you could find one in most pet stores. It was in thedog grooming section.

I tried it Otis who wasn't even shedding and it got dead hairoff him. I use it on all of mine now. It's gentler than a slicker,doesn't get hair clogged like a slicker but still gets all the hairoff.

Tina

I use a horse shed blade too. It wasaround $5.00 in the horse section of TSC. It's the only thingthat works on Melly's super thick fur.

you brush the same direction as the hair lays.

Mine has small teeth on one side and bigger on the other.

You brush with the large side first and then finish with the small ones.

Tina

Thank you Tina - I may pick up one of those, too.
I'm so glad you are up and able to be on the computer! I'm praying for you and that leg of yours.

Aww thank you.

I would definitely try the shedding blade. It does gets alot ofhair off. The bunns don't even mind it because the rake doesn't hurtthem or anything.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
How long have they been shedding?
shes been shedding some since weve had her (2mon.), but lately shes really been shedding bad.....maybe 2wks

o have one of those blade things for the dog...maybe ill try it

OK I got the 'Shedender' and used it first on Nick, the Holland Lop.
I have to say it worked pretty well. The instructions said to use 'longstrokes, the length of the body' - but it worked much better with shortstrokes. Nick seemed to enjoy it, and I got LOTS of fur of him. His topcoat does look healthier.
While I was doing him. Maggie was clawing at me as if to say "Hey! Whyare you paying so much attention to him?" I told her she was next.
But, when I picked her up to brush her - she was NOT veryco-operative... I told her she was acting like I was bringing her tothe butcher block...
But on her coat (she's a Harlequin with coarser fur) it workedWONDERFULLY!! She even settled down and enjoyed it. I got TONS of furoff her - as she just started shedding last week.
I'm hoping by using this little device a few times a week, the shedding periods will be shortened.
I give the Shedender a high mark.
You can get them cheaper on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back