Shedding (24/7 enough fur to start a clothing line)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevion

Reaction score
I've had 2 rabbits before this one both mini rex's I got from farms. When I moved out to Virginia and had to leave my rabbit behind the gf and I got one from a shelter about a year ago when we moved in together its a dutch mix.

The problem is this rabbit sheds 24/7 no matter what I do for grooming, feeding/lighting, anything. Its so bad that after having her for a year I'm honestly at the bridge where I may need to take her back to the shelter or a rescue. I've never had an issue with rabbit fur (I grew up on a farm my grandparents used to bread them for food) but this one sheds so much I am literally dieing (No seriously I cant breathe anymore I've had to get an inhaller and I'm on 3 prescription allergy meds and its still not allowing me to live a normal life of breathing. Before her I had never had allergies or needed any medications for breathing/allergy.)

Shes a healthy rabbit according to the vet I take her to the vet regularly (I even take her for nail trims cause she will not let me do it myself). She doesnt have fur mites or any diseases she just sheds everywhere all the time. I've bought a furminator even and every 5-7 days I brush her I get a pile large enough to make some bunny wool and make a newborn outfit.

Shes fed unlimited orchard grass by oxbow and a quarter cup of pellets Kaytee forti diet pro health.

I'm at my last wit here and looking for anyone whos had a similar issue and if they ever found a solution as I really dont want to give her up as I know chances are she will find a home that sticks her in a glorified litter pan that they call a cage.

My bunny is a moderate-heavy shedder and I brush him every single day. That's just how it is for fluffy animals. We humans wash and brush our hair nearly every day don't we, and we only have it on our heads! If allergies are bothering you (and you are sure it is the bunny you are allergic to, not the litter or the type of hay you feed her), you can try spritzing her lightly with water or running wet hands over her before you brush/comb/pluck her, so the loose fur sticks together and doesn't fly everywhere. I run a brush over my bun for 5 minutes every day and once a week I do a more thorough 15-minute groom, where I sit him on a small towel on a slippery kitchen counter so he won't escape.

I recently got a Hairbuster comb which has rubber parts that hold the hair while grooming, and it significantly helped to reduce the amount of hair floating around my house! My mini lop sheds like a mofo.

Pani, is a hair buster like the furminator? Or better? I was not impressed with the furminator. I'm still looking for the ideal brush. I've tried a slicker brush, men's comb, one of those ones with teeth like for dogs, and the furminator. Best thing so far is running damp hands over the fur with a gentle tug at loose butt fur. They hate it though and they're on to me.

Try giving her a bath. Soak her and then try and brush out as much loose hair as possible. After that do a daily brush and pluck.

Yikes I have to disagree! Rabbits should not have baths! Only spot cleans if very soiled in an area. Baths can stress them out too much and some say a rabbit can die of fright caused by a bath. Please don't bathe your bunny.

I was so anti bathing but my bun jumps in the bath with me and loves a good scrub. so I believe ever bun is different. spray bottle with water in works wonders. :)

I've had my buns for over a year, never had to bathe them, they keep themselves tidy. I agree with spot cleans only when entirely necessary.

Latest posts

Back