She prefers the ground?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily0862

Reaction score
Chambersburg and Berlin, Pennsylvania, USA
I just got a rabbit yesterday from a very loving family. They said she loves to be held and pet and she was fine being picked up and whatnot. She is super sweet and will let me pet her forever, but last night i went to pick her up and put her on my bed but she just thrashed violently once i got ahold of her. She didnt try to bite or anything she just wanted down! She is the size of a fat house cat and I was wondering if she just needs time to adjust more or if since shes so big its hurting her to be picked up or if shes just being a brat because she hasnt been picked up in a long time? Also if the last is the case, what should i do to be able to pick her up again?

Rabbits generally don't like being picked up. They prefer all four feet on the ground, but I scoop my bunnies up with a hand under the front and back. They just want security. It's scary for them to have their feet dangle.

:ponder: could be that she's not quite settled in yet. i think you got it right when you say start small. let her get used to her new home first. you dont mention the breed but she does sound a tad overweight:p

Mine prefers the ground too, he let me pick im up but f sit in the floor he hops over in my lap, if i tr yto hold him in a chair he hops off and under the chair im sitting in. Try hanging out in the floor some!

i read that their backs are curved and that could be why they don't enjoy being picked up. I think i'll just let her stay on the ground and build her some ramps to get on furniture if she pleases. she hops on my lap or lays beside me when i'm on the floor and i don't mind sitting on the floor with her cuz i get down with my guinea pigs. she's settling in quit nicely....she keeps running cirlces around me, its hilarious

oh, and she most likely is quite overweight, the people didnt let her out to run a whole lot so she was always just laying in her cage. thats why they gave her to me so she could get out more. and i don't know the breed for sure.....shes a boken lop, thats all i know for sure haha

Latest posts

Back