She is here...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFthfulJrney

Reaction score
First of all, meet Maggie!

1000Gifts2.jpg

She is incredibly cute! We all already love her so much!

I do have just a couple questions if you wouldn't mind, please, helping me out! :)

We just brought her home to live with us yesterday. She was born Feb. 3rd, so is still very young. How much handling/playtime should I give her? She seems frightened every time we try to take her out of her cage and let her roam. How do I help her to feel comfortable with us and not frightened?

Also, I am trying to teach her to go in her litter pan, but I noticed last night that there were some poop pellets in her food bowl...is this normal?

When can I start giving her the allowed fruits and veggies? Is she still too young, or can I start now? When she is able to eat fresh fruit and veggies, how often do I give them to her? And should I leave hay in the trough all the time, or onlya few times per week? I filled it up yesterday and it is already all gone.

I am heading out today to buy her some cat balls to play with as well as some al lnatural chew sticks and such. Anything else you could recommend for me to get for her?

Poor thing is so scared and all I want to do is cuddle her and make her feel safe, but not sure of that is the right thing to do. ALL help and advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Hello,
She is very cute baby! I play with my babies all the time. She is still a baby, It will take time for her to potty train her. Put her poop in the potty box and some left over pee. So she knows where it is and what it is. It's normal for poop in the bowl (My babies does). She's still to young to eat fruits and veggies. Diarrhea isnt good for youngsters. Fruits and veggies can do that to little ones. I dont give my guys any until they are after 6 months old. And I give mine a little at a time until they are used to it.
Toys that you can give her, They like Pinecones, Wood Chews, Hard Plastic baby, dog, cat, bird toys. Toilet or Paper towel rolls filled with hay. Paper bags for her to play in (or hide).

Hay is very important for rabbits / babies. She just left momma or other siblings. And give her pellets of course.

I hoped I helped some.! :big wink:

:yeahthat: Very cute bunny. Our vet said between 4 to 6 months is when to introduce vegetables and limited fruit--high sugar content, so small quantities only. Since she's so young she needs alfalfa in unlimited quantity as she's growing because of the higher protein and calcium and can be switched over to timothy at six months when she' pretty much done with growth. As to her shy behavior, that will change as she becomes comfortable in her surroundings--takes time for a prey animal to feel safe and comfortable. Handling her is also a good thing--it will help to socialize her and you will need to handle her when clipping nails and cleaning scent glands, so it's much better to have her used to being handled. Also, not all rabbits are lap/cuddle bunnies, but they still need to get used to being handled. And congratulations on becoming a bunny slave.

I bought Timothy and that is what she is eating the past two days...is that ok? I will go out and get Alfalfa as well if I need too! :)

Thank you both for your wealth of info! We have her hopping around our living room right now...she seems to really enjoy the freedom!! :)

Also, should I give papaya after about 6months as well?

AFthfulJrney wrote:
I bought Timothy and that is what she is eating the past two days...is that ok? I will go out and get Alfalfa as well if I need too! :)
Timothy's OK, but at that age she should get alfalfa as well. Taper off the alfalfa and switch to all grass hays (Timothy, Orchard grass, Bermuda, etc) as she approaches maturity at about a year of age.

Mix the alfalfa in with the Timothy. You can probably feed this mixture that way it will be easier to switch over to just Timothy when she gets old enough.

Your bunny is very cute!

Veggies and fruit are not good for a young bunny until about 6 months of age. Unless they have been introduced through mommy while they were feeding from her. When I got Sweetie I saw that she was given carrots, so I knew that she would be okay with some carrots, but I still limited them.

Hay is very important, keep it unlimited, it will keep her teeth at a nice length.

There are bunny toys in the small animal section at the pet store that are safe for bunnies. Usually cat toys are not safe for bunnies.

It will take a while before she is litterbox trained but stay with it. It will be worth it when she uses the litterbox all the time.

She is GORGEOUS!!!

I would handle her as much as you can! Obviously she will need to feel accustomed to you first, so for the next week or so I wouldn't pick her up loads. Just let her get accustomed to your voice, and your smell. Hold out your hand to her for her to approach if she wants to. Give her gentle pets on the head. Maybe hand feed her a little bit. After a week or so of doing this, then I would start handling her as much as you can- get her used to being cuddled and picked up etc. Some bunnies never like being picked up but the sooner you try and get her used to it the better, and more likely she will tolerate or even enjoy it when she is older.

You can start introducing veggies from 12 weeks on. Make sure you know they are safe veggies for buns. Introduce a very small amount of each veg, one at a time for a period of about a week. Monitor her poops and behaviour etc. so you can see if any veggie affects her badly. If she gets gas or sloppy poops, maybe stay clear of that veggy and try again when she is a bit older? She may just not tolerate that one well.

Give her as MUCH hay as she wants. Refill it every day or every time it is empty. The more hay she eats, the healthier she will be :)

House rabbit society recommends 2-3cups of chopped veggies per 6lb of bunny. She should be about 4lbs as an adult, so 2-3cups is the right amount for her. However some buns just don't tolerate lots of veggies well, so just see what works for her. Mine get lots of many veggies every day :D.

Congrats- she is just stunning.

Jenny

Latest posts

Back