She doesn't want to move much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakco

Reaction score
Hello all,

We recently went and got Arya (see my Avatar) from the local SPCA shelter.

Although she is quite affectionate (loves to give kisses when we hold and pet her), she does not move much.

When in her cage, she will almost always stay in the same corner - moving just to get food or water.

When we get her out of her cage and put her on the floor, she just stays there.

I would love for her to be more active and explore her environment more.

Any suggestions ? I find it sad and would love to see her hop all over the place.

If she is fairly new she is just being cautious in her new environment! Our boy was VERY cautious for about a week or so... But he is also very outgoing and came to us very well socialized, I've heard others with more shy buns say is took a few weeks to a month or so before their buns warmed up! I'd say as ling as she is eating and drinking and pooing and peeing she's fine. Just adjusting. Congrats! Buns are awesome :)

That thought had crossed my mind that she might just be shy and needed to adjust to us...

I think the main reason the wife is so worried is that our last two rabbits that we had (for 6 and 10 years) were never like that; from the very start they were exploring all over the place if we did not keep an eye on them.

buns have different personalities, some are more out going and some are just more reserved im sure if you give her sometime she will go ahead and open up more and shine her inner mischief

How old is she? Do you know her background? I've read about some rabbits who were kept in tiny cages for so long that their leg muscles started to atrophy, causing them to not be able to move/hop like a healthy bunny. Since you just got her, she's probably just a little shy, but I thought I'd throw that idea in the mix.

I say give her a few days, lots of affection and treats. When I first got my honey bunny and I would let her out she would stay on my lap or near me, I thought it was cause she really loved me, but as she got more used to her surroundings she would venture further, and further. She does really love me still, just not enough to lay on my lap all day, she loves to explore!!! Oh and congrats on your new bun, she is soo cute.

Thanks all... Unfortunately, we don't know much about her background and how old she is... The SPCA told us that she had been found on the side of the street and had been brought in by a couple who found her.

In more news, last night I decided to open her cage and leave her alone - not to try and get her to come out and all... At one point, she jumped out of her cage and went straight under it for cover. Ok, I thought, that is always a start... A few minutes later, while I was sitting in the living room and watching her in the next room, I saw her slowly starting to walk around and start to look at everything.

I believe you guys were right, she just is more shy and needs to adjust to us and her new environment. So today, since my wife is at home, she will open her cage a bit to let her come out and explore more. Who knows? Maybe she'll go further today than yesterday.

Latest posts

Back