She bit me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briemommy

Reaction score
Completely unprovoked. I was sitting at the computer, she was resting somewhere under the chair, then she decided to nibble on her little book, and suddenly there were teeth pinching the top of my foot. Hard! There's a small bruise now and it's slightly punctured. What in the world? I don't remember if my pajama pants were covering my foot, but geez! Not even a test nibble. It was a full on chomp.

If anyone here remembers, she was very mouthy when we got her, and I'm afraid it isn't going away. I don't know if its because she has a thing for fabric, because she always attacks those with gusto. I'm scared of her! Sometimes she'll nose my clothing a little too long and I'm afraid she'll nip so I pull away but I can't keep living like this. Did anyone else have this problem? Ever?

Hard to say what would cause her to do that. Is it possible she was trying to get your attention with bumps and you failed to notice? And then she resorted to the bite?

I've had some of mine nip when they are trying to get me out of their way. Usually a sharp "yipe!" from me will let them know that it was too hard. Usually doing the yipe once or possibly after a second instance, stops that behavior.

Sometimes, it could also be that they are trying to push the clothes out of the way to get to your skin (hopefully to groom you).

I don't suppose you had a food-scented cream on your legs.

I'd suggest wearing heavy socks, plus gently holding her head down for a few seconds, right after she's done something you don't want repeated.

I'm guessing you were in her way. Whenever she bites you, make sure she knows it hurts by letting out a high pitched squeal.

Sugarbunnies, I know what you mean! I've tried the head pressing and I would yelp too, but nope. She just bullies me. If she wants to do it, she'll do it.

No one else has this issue?

I also have tried the squeal and pushing the head down but neither has worked. I've been nipped through jeans, on bare skin, and through socks by all 3 of my current bunnies, plus my bun that passed away. With my buns, none of them have broken skin or lunged at me. I think they're telling me to move or sometimes trying to groom me. Humma tries to bite me when I don't feed him fast enough. Obviously I'm not understanding bunny talk. But they're my buns and I love 'em. They're all sweeties too.

The only thing I found accidently that worked is if I yell "hey!" in my angry voice. I used to use it with my Rotti and he obeyed quite well. I think it was just a reaction when I did it once with Humma when he nipped my foot. He froze in place and although it worked I'm afraid to give him a heart attack. So i've got big, fuzzy slippers that work well and they don't do it often. It's mostly Humma, the punk. :spintongue

Last edited:
Ha! My German Giant, Kai is a nipper. I say nipper because he's never viciously gone after me. He's been on medication the last two weeks or so and I really have to watch where his head is or he'll get me in the arm. I go to work and people ask who's been abusing me because he always leaves a bruise. He's just fine as long as you aren't messing with him. We have to watch our feet around Franklin. If he's hungry or you're in his way he gets you in the foot. He's an absolute snuggle bunny but you dont mess around when it comes to food. Kai every once in awhile will behave when I push his head down but he's the epitmey of stubborn. Just the way they are I suppose. I dont ever have the heart to discipline Franklin as he's so good natured anyways. Not very helpful except you may just have to accept the personality qwerk and work around it.

Hey! Katy! Some time ago I came across your bunny blog and finished it all in one night. Now I'm all caught up again. Wish I had me an Omar. I could never have that many animals. I think the thing that's most frustrating is that she won't be held, won't cuddle, does her own thing, and now she also bites with no warning.

I'm really not that happy with this whole "just live with it" business that comes with this rabbit owning stuff. That said, I did spend half an hour hemming my jammie bottoms to see if it would make a difference. :eek:hwell:

You could try shutting her in her cage when she does something like this, as a kind of time out.

Shya my little bad rabbit I had to pick up. She didn't like to be picked up and when she did something bad I would just hold her for a few seconds then put her down. She was perfectly content to flick me off and pout in a corner. It curbed most behavior but she isnt snuggely at all. She likes her face petted and her ears massaged at night but thats it and on her own terms. She's such an engaging little creature and that's why they all pretty much get away with whatever. It is hard when all you want to do is hug them and squeeze them and call them george. Shya is whip smart and easy to train in some things. Working with her is how we bonded. It took three rabbits to find Franklin and he's the exception to the rule.

Dont let your bun frustrate you to much. (pot calling the kettle black)
I'm pretty sure mine lay awake and night and scheme up new things to irritate me. It is worth it in the end.

And yes everyone needs someone like Omar! I dont know how he puts up with all of us but he does!

Several of our love our sweatpants, so we become collateral. Used to roll the biters over on their back and pin them while I explained to them that I don't like rabbits that bite me. It worked even though Commander Bun-Bun needed a refresher now an then.

I feel your pain on this!! My boy bit me for the first time last week. I've had him for about 3 months and harrass him with so much love and cuddles and he doesn't seem to mind. I was putting food in his pen and he jumped across and bit me. I'm fairly certain he was going for the food but because I was lowering my hand, he got me instead. We've since made up, but I was a bit nervvy putting my hands in to pick him up or feed him for a few days. I'm embarrassed to say I squealed, but from what I've read maybe that was a good thing. He didn't even break the skin. Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back