She bit me :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie Lee

Reaction score
Today I went in moshis cage because I needed to clean it out and I wAs petting her before I picked her up ad she snapped at me and bit me almost enough to make the palm of my had bleed... So i gave her a firm no and left her there with no petting for a few minutes and she was going crazy...

Then I came back and petted her and when I stopped she tried to nip me again... I'm worried that it's going to be a bad sign that she won't let me check in her babies? Or is this just normal hormones while she's pregnant? Also afterwards I finally picked her up and she's fine once I have her near my face she starts licking me...

My other question is, is me handling her risky for her kits? :/ I am worried it's not safe to pick her up because she squirms at first and maybe I might be hurting her? Does anybody here handle their pregnant does?

Everything seems so difficult at the moment because she wants more cuddles but if I stop she attacks me or if I pick her up she freaks but I can't clean her cage with her in it because she gets even angrier and lately she's been messing up her cage twice as much so I have to clean it out more =="

Maybe I'm just over thinking it I don't know but she's so confusing like she's got PMS with 3 split personalities :(

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Pregnant Does. and their hormones.

This will pass once the babies are there. I'd do more talking than touching. And if you have to remove her to clean, talk to her first and then approach.

Pregnant does, like any other critter pregnancies, they become very protective.

All normal. Some get an attitude some don't. Some get attitude after kindling, some don't. All individual experiences. I have no clue how my Luna will be, but am prepared for Mood changes.

K:)

Yikes! I didn't know they could get that "crazy". So sorry and I hope this passes for you.

Karen is right. Pregnant does, especially first timers, can be unpredictable. I have a pregnant doe right now that I have to be careful around or I'll be attacked. She isn't normally like that. She might continue like that while she has her litter, too.

You might want to bother her and the cage less for right now, if possible.

Why less? Wouldn't she need more calm interacting and treating to assure her that bonnie means no harm? This is typically how dogs and cats are rehabilitated including ferrets. So why would you want to reduce interaction with her? That doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm with karen on this one. More interaction on a positive note. Treats, talks, love, the last thing any pet owner would want to do is push their animal resulting in a more guarded, fearful pet.

Brittany was the same way when she was pregnant. At the time i didn't know. Was going to clean her cage and she bite me in the leg. She was quite feisty when her belly was full of babies.

Thanks guys for the replies but I do agree that I don't want to stay away from her so last night I put her on my bed and she was so loving and nice and I even put my finger up to her teeth to see how she would act and she let me hold her and snuggle my face into her...

Although when we were pettig her in her cage... When we go to stop petting her he tried to nip again...

She's really confusing.

So she should be 25 days now and she doesn't look bigger to me but she's a wool breed so maybe I just can't see it but I'm starting to think it's a false because I thought my now I would be able to tell she's bigger when I'm holding her in arms...

"Everything seems so difficult at the moment because she wants more cuddles but if I stop she attacks me or if I pick her up she freaks but I can't clean her cage with her in it because she gets even angrier and lately she's been messing up her cage twice as much so I have to clean it out more =="

I'm not saying to ignore her, I'm only suggesting that by trying to keep her cage clean you may be creating more stress for her. Pregnant does tend to not handle stress as well.

"I'd do more talking than touching. And if you have to remove her to clean, talk to her first and then approach."

The suggestion was not to increase interaction but to do more talking than touching. I don't think you can compare this to rehabilitating a dog or cat. Pregnant does are hormonal and how they act is just something you have to adjust to until they either have their litter or the kits are older.

If she's 25 days then you may be able to feel movement in her stomach/abdomen. Rabbits don't always look bigger when they're pregnant. If you're not sure, it's probably better to assume she is.

Oh I see what you are saying now. I guess I didn't take in to consideration that she might not want her cage cleaned since she's the one messing it up but the way she's doing is digging all her pellets out and then pushing her water closer to her pellets so when they dig out they get all wet ad soggy then she digs them out of the water and squishes them into the floor of the cage :( and if I try scoop it out when she's in their she really growls and attacks. But today I'll just leave her to it lol

I talk to her a lot so I'm not sure what more talking I can do as her cage is next to the bed so she is always being talked to by me or my boyfriend.

Thanks for the reply is a lot of help :)
I really appeciate all the guidance i'm getting!!! It's great!

I will assume she's pregnant because she's starting to collect heaps of hay in her mouth but if it's a false pregnancy then atleast it will be an experience for me and her and just wasn't meant to be

Back