Sharing files on a laptop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailsend

Reaction score
O.K. I am giving in, I need help. I don't know if anyone can help me or not, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm on my laptop, and we bought it in the summer. It's got two registered users - my husband, and myself. So the pictures I upload when I am logged in as me, and vice versa, cannot be accessed by the other one, unless you switch users. *I am trying very hard not be confusing!* How can we share files, so I don't have to be him to look at pictures?

I am trying to put all our pictures from our last trip to Alaska on webshots, so our friends can see them, but can't access the pictures under my user name. I need to be me, so that I can also do other things at the same time, that's why I am not just simply worker under his username. Is there a way to share files easily? There are over 3,000 pictures to sort through! and I just know there has to be a simple way to do it - but I have yet to figure it out.

If anyone can understand this rant, or has any idea's, THANK YOU! :biggrin2:

Ok, if you are using windows XP, and you are storing the files in the "My Documents" folder under your husbands user name, you can get to them from your user name

Log in under your one, then if you have windows set up with the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, go into that. Then go into c:\, then the folder called Documents and Settings.

Open the folder that refers to your husbands log in name. On my computer I have 3 folders. Administrator, Mathew and All Users.

Go into the My Documents folder under his name and look for them where they are stored in there.

Same goes for if they are somewhere else, like on his desktop. From there, you'll either have to copy them to your side or something, not sure exactly.

Hope that helped a little, if not then sorry :D.

I have xp.

Start, control panel, user accounts, change an account - from there I believe you should be able to change the settings so you can see everything and share everything. Though you have to be logged into the admin account.

I think. This is my best guess. Hope it helps.

Thanks guys! You both have been helpful. I'm trying form my account to fix this, and changed some of the settings, but I'm going to switch to Kevin's account since it's the admin account, and likely where settings need to be changed *crosses fingers*.

Yep I'm on XP too. I really appreciate your help! :)

Yes, you will have to have admin rights to do this, so either make your own account an admin, or login under his account and copy the files to your own.

You can also share the folder and give yourself permissions to access w/o being an admin on your own account (this would initially be done from his admin account). Let me know if you want more info on that...its the kind of stuff I do for a living so I can help..but need to get to work...let me know!

Latest posts

Back