Sharing a cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becc_boland

Reaction score
I was wonderingif it would be okay to put Lilly and Cleo (still unsure of the nameyet) in together. Cleo's cage is a breeding cage minus the seperator.Would it be wise to have them in together or keep them in seperatehutches? Both rabbits are so differnt, Lilly is so quiet and wont eatfromn ur hand or nefin and Cleo hops straight up to you and whenyouopen the door she's straight out onto the grass lol.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Becc, Lilly and Cleo

Hi Becc,

Don't know how old they are or if they've been spayed.

You might want to look at the "Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care" post andlook up the link on bonding bunnies. I wouldn't recommend you to putthem together without going through the process of trying to bond themfirst. The one who's cage you'll use could very likely take offense toher territory being invaded and feel the need to fight for her space.Can't have that happen causing stress to the two of them, and whoeverthe weaker one is - if they do fight - could get very badly hurt andresult in high vet bills.

Take it step-by-step in bonding them before you trust them in the same cage together is the way I'd go about it.

-Carolyn

Neither of them are spayed. I think I'll justleave them in seperate cages, they seem happy enough. Do we haveanother Cleo on here? If we do we mite have to change her name or justleave it it depends on the owner! lol

Happy Easter

Becc, Lilly and Cleo (Cleopatra)

And a Happy Easter to you too, Becc. :)

This world is big enough for two Cleos. No worries about changing her name. It suits her well.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. Any special plans for easter? Mysister who lives in the city 2hrs away and my dad who lives interstate10hrs away will be down tomorrow (well today as itz 1am) and i cantwait. I havent seen my dad since my birthday in January.

I hope you have a great easter and may I say, this site rox and u do a great job!

Becc, Lilly and Cleo

Ok I can answer both questions. You should neverkeep two rabbits together 24/7. Even if they are both does and both arespayed. Something could always happen, and they will most likely stripeachother's fur.(lick it off so they are both naked)

Once the doe kits are 8 months they should be separated from their momimmidatly. Or before that (7 weeks) if the mom is gettinghostile towards them. The only time I would let rabbits sharethe same hutch is if they are kits with their mom, and when they are 8weeks separate them. After 8 weeks every single bun should eventuallyhave its own sleeping quarters.

I'm not talking about keeping them within thesame hutch or cage, i'm talking about a large coop floor, i've heardthat some people can pull off large-scale group housing.

I'm thinking it'll work as long as they don't get hostile?

Ellie

Hello becc

I have 3 females sharing 2 large cages, which they share of a night-time. During the day they are out and about in their room.

My last bun had a little trouble to begin with, seeing as I have had the other 2 for long time. None of mine are spayed.

With a little patience and love, I would think they could be great pals given time.

Hope it goes well !!!!!!

Latest posts

Back