Share with us the reasons behind why you got your 1st rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been an animal person, mostly cats. But I've had pretty much all sorts of animals. Never rabbits tho. My sisters had a few that weren't that well socialized/ lived locked up in their rooms. When I was still living at home ages ago, the pet store I worked next to had some California Rabbits in with the guinea pigs. These rabbits were personable, weren't lop eared (my sisters always had lops and I liked the differentness of up ear rabbits). So I thought if I ever have a rabbit I'd like it to be like those rabbits. Gotta say I never considered myself a rabbit person.

Anyway last year, I see my friend post a picture of his rabbit he is trying to rehome. It was a cute little bunny with markings like a California Rabbit, but a different breed. So I thought about it, decided it was fate (I knew he was my rabbit). Plus I am a sucker for someone that needs a home. Renamed him Harvey <3 and couldn't imagine not having him around. He is free roaming (when I am home) and I like it that way. I think I'd get another rabbit, well depends. Harvey is a great first rabbit. He is personable. Made himself at home right away. Loved everyone, cats included (a little too much), and he is a hoot to watch.

When I was a really little kid (about 3 or 4), a friend of my dad's had a friend who was moving and couldn't take his Rottweillers or his bunny. My dad had always wanted a pet but my mom was allergic to cats, so we took the bunny. He was about two at the time, and lived to be 11. Neither my parent's house or mine has been rabbit-less since.

Long story ahead!

I've loved animals my entire life and was destined for bunnies. Heck, when my parents took newborn me home from the hospital I was wearing pink pajamas with little bunnies all over them! My mom didn't want any pets when I was a kid, but let us keep a turtle we found when I was 6. Don't get me wrong, I loved the turtle, but it just wasn't the same as a fuzzy pet! When I was 10, a classmate of mine got a pet bunny named Snickers. Shortly after that, my mom gave me a stuffed bunny (a Dutch, I know now!) that I named Hershey and I just loved that stuffed bunny. Then we moved to a new state and the mall there had a pet store with a huge front window display that was always full of baby bunnies to squeal over.

All of this bunny business really put the idea of a pet rabbit into my head. My brother and I asked our parents for a bunny, but no dice. Then we hatched a scheme. We made protest signs that said things like "no more hugs until we get a bunny!" and that type of thing (in jest, of course). Then went to where our parents were talking and started marching around them with our signs, chanting all the while. They thought it was hilarious and were just rolling around laughing. When they recovered, my mom said they had decided to let us get a bunny. They'd talked it over for the past month or so and had actually just arrived at their decision when we began our "protest." My brother and I were thrilled, and our parents said we could get a bunny in 6 weeks if we got along with each other all summer long. I marked off week 6 on the calendar (August 18, 1995, I remember!), then began the very lonnnnng wait to get our bunny.

That wait was cut short though a week later (uh, July 6, 1995- big day for me!) when we went to the mall and of course HAD to visit the bunnies at the pet store. There were 3 bunnies in the window display: a big brown bunny and two little bunnies with otter markings, one black and the other brown. My brother got it into his head that we should ask to hold the brown one, and my mom (surprisingly!) agreed. After we petted the very skittish bunny, my brother started crying because he wanted THAT one and did not want to wait until August. My mom was always a huge pushover when it came to my brother and tears (the kid was almost 13 years old!) and agreed to let us get the brown one right then. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was so surprised that we were getting a bunny so soon, but VERY happy!

So, we named our scared little bunny Cinnabun (a name we had already chosen before we got him) and brought him home. We basically knew NOTHING about rabbits yet, but we bought all the books the pet store had. The agreement was that Cinnabun would live in the basement (which was finished, so had carpeting and nice walls and all- it wasn't a dungeon). He would only come out of his cage if we were holding him. He was not allowed on the floor or furniture. My brother and I would be completely responsible for his care. Sounds like a terrible set up for a bunny, right? Essentially an impulse purchase by people with no knowledge about rabbits, shunned to the basement, not allowed to run around outside the cage, cared for only by children...

Thankfully, it did not work out that way. My mom was immediately smitten with our little Cinnabun and he never made it to the basement. Our house had an open floor plan and the first thing she did when we got him home was set up his cage right in the middle of everything. The second thing she did was let him out to explore the house! My brother and I DID remain solely responsible for Cinnabun's care, but my parents had no qualms about paying for vet bills or food or anything and they both loved him, too.

I am glad to say that I never, ever lost interest in my sweet Cinnabun (though my brother did a little bit), and we took wonderful care of him and learned as much about rabbits as possible. He was doted on and loved and spoiled and cared for his entire life of 7 years. I thank Cinnabun for my lifelong love of bunnies and am so, so grateful I got to know him and that my brother turned on the water works at the pet store because I was content to wait until August. Cinnabun was a wonderful rabbit and my life would not be complete without him or my other bunnies that I have now. I plan to always have at least one rabbit because it's just not the same without them. They're much more than just pets to me.

Here are a bunch of photos of Cinnabun (the thumbnails are links to albums, just click on them!):

Congrats if you got through all that!

I was a live-in volunteer on a farm and ended up becoming the rabbit caretaker. After 5 1/2 months there I had grown to love rabbits. Towards the end of my stay, a gentleman drove to the farm and offered a rabbit that he had in his room. The director said we didn't have room (no more cages) and offered to let me take her. She was too beautiful to pass up. Marshmallow has been with me ever since!

I'd always been an animal person, up until I was 12 or so I wasn't allowed any pets, except my mothers cats.
Anyway, once my mother and I moved into our own house I ended up with a decent amount of animals. One of which was a little white pet store bunny, I had her for 3.5 years before having to re home her unfortunately due to a move.
She was an independent bun, she didn't mind pats but don't you dare try to pick her up and unless she was out of her cage 24/7 she'd be biting it and escaping every single day. She was such a brat, but I still miss her. I wish I knew where she went when we rehomed her, she's not old enough to be at the bridge yet.

Anyway, without her I'd never have ended up with Freddie Mercury(A bun I took in temp.) and definitely wouldn't have ended up with Peppy.
Hannah started it all, and I'm glad. Bunnies are wonderful and I don't know what I'd do without Peppy.

I've always loved animals, and my husband never had a put til we got married almost 6 years ago lol I've always loved rabbits but... Thought they were dirty and smelly and messy...etc. When I was very young maybe 7/8 my grandpa got me a little tiny bun on a whim one day... And then sent me home with it... I didn't tell my mom lol she wasn't happy... He was sweet for a few days... But then he started biting and throwing pee everywhere... And GROWING! Omg! They told us he wouldn't get to be more than 3lbs and well... He got up to about 14 in about 6 months! I think now that he was a new zealand... After he bit me and I required a few stitches my step dad built him a hutch outside and that is where he spent the rest of his days... I was allowed to give him anything fresh but occasionally I suck and took him some... He died at abt 3years old of. Heart Attack... Neighborhood cat on top of the pen...

Anyway I avoided buns for the next 20 years because I was afraid! And because his death was so hard on me, I felt even at 10, like I failed him... And then this past January my husband and I went into a local pet store to get some toys for our dogs and there he was! In a tiny aquarium! With a note that said abandonded outside the store a week ago... I asked to see him and he snuggled into my arms and licked my chin! I.was.sold. Then I handed him to my husband and watched this guy who never had pets before our dogs fall fast for this little bun! We bought everything we needed (according to the store LOL) and took him home! Is been a huge learning experience and I'm so glad we did it! I'm learning that bun really are clean and can be really friendly and loving! :D

Well last year I had decided that I wanted a little furry pet to keep me company at home and was looking at different breeds of bunnies. The idea was still up in the air and I guess I had mentioned it to my bf (last summer). So then this February we went out for Valentines day and he said he was only able to get part of my present and that the main part would get picked up by the end of this week. Now I'm very awkward when given gifts, I LOVE giving but really don't like receiving lol especially if it is things I can buy myself..so all I kept saying to him was "you didnt have to buy me anything....why did you? a card would've been enough" lol.
Next thing I know he pulls out this big back of bedding and a litter box LOL and said he had bought me a bunny. After doing research he remembered which breed I was more fascinated with, the lionhead dwarf and thus we have my little Cheeni! One of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received...it made me cry (sorry I'm a bit emotional lol)

IMG_3142_crop.jpg

I purchased my first rabbit from a pet store 7 years ago. My reasons for getting a rabbit were that I had always wanted one, my husband didn't want a dog and I thought it would be fun for our kids to have a pet that I would take care of. I had started looking into rabbits when I happened upon my little Donkey in the pet store one day. On a whim I bought him, a small cage because he was a "dwarf" and that was "all I needed" he ended up being a mini rex and outgrew the small cage in only a couple of months. He was my heart bunny and I don't think I will ever love a bun the way that I loved him. Unfortunately one day when he was about 18 months old my hubby took him out for pets like he did every morning and he bit him hard drawing blood. We figured he was just startled by a loud noise the kids made and put him back in his cage. When we came home from work that night we found him no longer breathing in his cage. We were both devastated. I have had a few rabbits since some have died, some were sold after a failed attempt at showing and breeding. I have had Jasper for just over 3 years now and he has really grown on me. I didnt fall instantly for him like I did with Donkey but I have learned to appreciate his grumpy old man personality and his deep love of red peppers and parsley.

16874_261434_470000002.jpg

Almost a year ago I began my first year of high school. Things went pretty well. Made good grades, Met the most amazing guy, and met some pretty nice friends. Towards the end of the school year I was sexually harassed and threatened by my teacher. I told my boyfriend, and he told my parents... So of course my parents went to the school.. My school did nothing but give me a hard time for the rest of the year. They even put that teacher in some of my classes.. He would give me dirty looks and threaten me, but there was nothing I could do. Needless to say I didn't return until the rest of the year. I started throwing up when I entered the school because my nerves were so bad, and I was sick and crying when I was home. I decided to do online school the next year (which I love!) I was still very upset though. My boyfriend knew just what I needed. He surprised me and told me he was getting me a bunny! Dexter has changed my life so much. He is my angel in disguise. He keeps me company throughout the day, cuddles with me, and gives me kisses nonstop <3 I don't know what on earth I would do without him. When days get rough I know I can always come home to my sweet, loving, little bunny <3

Where to begin.........when I was young, my family had a dog for about 6 months and had to get rid of him because we found out that my brother was allergic. I was too young to remeber the dog but I do remember and I've been told by my mother that I loved dogs and animals in general and would always want to pet or play with any animal that I saw or some in contact with.
Fast forward 30 some years to present day. My wife grew up with many different pets around her families household and she is a vegetarian and also loves animals. We have been living together for 6 years and our building doesn't allow dogs or cats so my wife, out of the blue mentioned that we should get a bunny. I was hesitant at first but am so glad that she persuaded me into getting one. We adopted our first pet bunny together on January 29th of this year and it was the best thing that we did together, besides getting married of course. Dilly came into our lives on January 29th and has brought us so much joy, happiness, excitement, humor, etc.....you all know what I'm talking about. We got her from a family that needed to get rid of her at the tender age of 2, a gray and white mini lop.
She has certainly lifted our lives so far in the short time that we have had her and has already taught us so much. We look forward to everything we learn from her and enjoy loving her and receiving love in return.
She has definitely made me a bunny person and I look forward to each and every day that we get to share with her.

I love reading everyone's stories; they're all so unique! Some funny, some sad - but woo rabbits!

My story:

I was fresh out of high school, working full time and getting ready for my first year of college. While I was at work (local pet supply chain) a woman approached me and asked if I knew anyone who was looking to adopt a rabbit. Her daughter had leukemia and because of the long trips to Boston, MA couldn't afford "Gili" the time he needed.

I was moved.

I told her I would take in Gili and care for him, and when her daughter got better (fingers crossed) maybe they could open their home to him again. She met me at my house that night.

Gili eventually became Bailey (he was the same color as Bailey's Irish Creme, d'oh!) and he settled into my life and home. I lost touch with the family after the first year, but I suspect it was because their life took a rough turn. I hope they're out there though and know he had a great 8 year run. Bailey passed away in early 2011.

I didn't take in my next bun till October of 2011. I did a lot of hemming and hawing about breed because this time I had a choice (not that I minded Bailey being a standard rex). I decided I wanted a 10lb+ bunny and Atticus the English Lop came into my life a few weeks later.

Shortly after that Gubble swung in and captured my heart. Then Molly. Molly and Atticus had a tryst that I didn't get off the couch in time for, and on 2/4/12 Molly had a litter of 3. 2 have been rehomed but little Matthias didn't spark anyone's interest, so he has a home here. Soon to be neutered!

I can't imagine the future without at least one rabbit. My heart aches just thinking about it.

Thanks for letting me share!

I was hanging out with a friend and we decided to go inside the pet store for some reason. I saw the bunnies they had out and was just watching them, and I saw them wrinkle their little noses, and paw at the glass, and that funny way they lick their lips out the side of their front teeth. I was instantly captivated and started seriously thinking about getting a bunny. I researched them extensively for quite a while as I desperately wished I could find a job so I could get one of these little darlings and meet his/her needs. In the meantime, whenever I got a little money, I bought something for the rabbit. A cage, some toys, a playpen... I had decided I was going to get a rabbit eventually. When I learned more about them they seemed to have all the joys of having a cat or a dog and more. Now I have my first bunny which I got just earlier this week. c: I really hope it goes well. Things seem to be going in a good direction but it's too early to say for sure.

I loved reading all these stories! Thanks Roy for bringing this thread back.

For me, after 4 years of no pet; our dog was put to sleep due to health reasons, I got pregnant and had a baby, we knew it was time to get a pet again. Besides I didn't want my son to grow up in a pet less household.

I love ALL animals. Except birds, haha no offense. But it wasn't "clicking" when we thought of a dog, or chinchilla, bearded dragon, sugar gliders, we checked into everything. Nothing felt right, except a rabbit!

I found a Lionhead rabbit breeder about an hour away from me one day almost by accident. My first rabbit i had probably 20 years ago. So much has changed! I researched like crazy, asked a million questions to the breeder, picked Agnes out by photo and picked her up a couple weeks later.

I now have Agnes and Archie, a neutered mini Rex buck we adopted from the local shelter. They have both brought such joy to our lives and I'm SO glad we decided on bunnies. I love them so and it's hard to imagine life without a bunny now :)

I love animals and love helping any in need. I went to a rabbit show with my boyfriend and met some of his families rabbit friends. One gay couple raised mini rexes. They were grooming and preparing them all except one so I asked why he was not being groomed. They told me he had a split penis. I was like uh k. They told me I could have him for a pet if i took care of him. I texted my dad and he said yea. The guys told me he was a bit skiddish. He was but we got over that. I took Oliver back to the show in September and the guys were amazed how friendly he was. They were holding him and as soon as they set him on the table he ran and jumpes into my arms lol.

Latest posts

Back