Share with us example(s) of your rabbit(s) intelligence.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
Have a story or example that highlights your bun buns intelligence...?..Then share with us.

I , personally, have no examples or stories to share.:shock:

Both our bunnies now recognize the sound of the treat jar being opened. Nibbles has recognized it for a long time. As soon as I open it, he runs over, starts hopping around and generally goes crazy until he has his sweet treat. Well, last night, I was feeling kinda bad for Nibbles because we had spent a large portion of the day fixing up Junie's cage and hadn't spent as much time with him as we usually do. So I offered him a treat from the jar. When I opened it, Junie hopped over (I thought because she just heard things going on) and watched me carefully. When I closed the jar and went to walk away, she looked right at me and THUMPED really loud! She wanted a treat, too! Of course, I gave her one, too, and she happily took it.

Dobby comes when you call his name. Will stand tall when asked.

Willard and Kreacher know when they hear bags it's treat time.

Willard knows to go to his litter box when we need to pick him up.

Neville and Luna are now totally aware when a bag is brought to their crate that something good is happening. Whether it be pellets or wheat grass.

All acknowledge their names. And greet us when we ask them to come to the door of their crates.

Very intelligent animals. Or should I say quick learners.

K:)

All my buns know their names.
They know how to stand on their hind legs.
They come when they are called.
They know the sound of the gate to the garden where they are kept, and run out of their hutches when they hear it opening.
They know how to manipulate me into giving them treats! :)
They know how to scare the cat. :)
They know when im sad and give me more cuddles than usual.

Bunnies are just the sweetest, i love them!

:inlove:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlMy35tZY58&list=UUtmD7LisvOCe6GcBmBS3ZIQ&index=20&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKYwyuG6KmM&list=UUtmD7LisvOCe6GcBmBS3ZIQ&index=24&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Kr5dhyvos&list=UUtmD7LisvOCe6GcBmBS3ZIQ&index=28&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2S8eAPOe_A&list=UUtmD7LisvOCe6GcBmBS3ZIQ&index=27&feature=plcp[/ame]

thats just a few Jenny vids :p I had to stop training my dogs when Jenny was around because she would start doing the dogs tricks in order to get treats..usually before the dogs figered out what they were supposed to do. do to a change in my work schedual I had to stop her training sessions, but while my schedual is changing back again, she apperntly cant see anymore, so I suppose I wont be taking it back up lol.

Peepers is smart, when she is hungry she is very insitanst that its dinner time..the other day I had hurt my ankle, so I chilled out in a bath with a book, but I went through her dinner time and my mom said that Peepers kept running up to her, looking at her, running back to her cage..then running to the fridge, staring it it, running back to her cage etc.. and when my mom didnt give her anything, and I was still in the tub, Peepers decided she had to feed herself, so she ripped a hole in the garbage and started searching for food lol

So far Rascal knows the sound of the treat jar (comes running)
He knows to come to his name,
"up"
"spin"
"kiss"
"paw"

I want to try training him to do high jumps and agility, just for fun. I've only had him one month, he wasn't socialized at all before I got him. He's a smart little guy!

Here is a video of all his tricks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weirdbuglady/7051237537

Hmmm well Harvey will come when call (of course when he wants too). He knows the sound of treat bags. He also can open lids on tubberware. I'm rather impressed with that one. haha. We are working on spin, which he is getting fairly quickly.

Q-tip recognized that furniture is not something to chew on, and so I got a new bookcase yesterday. She doesn't touch my desk or dresser, so when I put in the bookcase, she went over to it, nipped the side, and then looked at me, waiting to see if I'd say "NO!" (I did). Now she just sleeps in it.

She also knows "nose kissy" and will give kisses on command. She can get into the treat bag (and onto and into the desk to get to the treat bags), and will put her paws up on your leg and beg when she sees a treat.

And my personal favorite....when I turn on the printer, she runs over to it and "helps" the paper come out (aka grabs and and pulls).

All the bunnies know their names.
All of my bunnies knew what a rattling bag meant - TREATS! However, they would fall for it if was just me rattling a bag of groceries or a bag of potato chips. Koga would come dashing to the sound every time he heard it.

Koga knew what the word "treat" was.

Mr. Bun Bun knew what presents were and knew how to open them. No other bunny I owned did this. Even one's under the tree that were not for him he would start tearing at them as he knows there is a surprise in them. If the gift was small enough, he sometimes carry them away too! At Christmas, we always let him open his gifts himself.

Rocko learned a way how to get out of his cage - that's why there's 2 clips on the door now.

Mr. Bun Bun learned a trick, "sit up" and "sit down."
Also, my bunnies understood discipline, the word "NO!" and "BAD!" If they continue bad behavior in front of me and don't listen, a small pop on the rear with my hand or newspaper makes them know that I'm serious. Catching them in the act of bad bunny behavior, sometimes they will know that they were being bad and will hold their heads down with flattened ears.

This thread is an eye opener for me.

Shocked me how really smart bunnies can be.

Befor this thread, I've ALWAYS had the belief that rabbits were a wee bit smarter than a chicken and I treated them as such .(and didn't expect much from them).

I also read somewhere that rabbits CANNOT recognize their names.

They all know their name and come when you call them. Definitely know the sounds and time for treats and veggies--Finn puts on a show, jumping from side to side in his hutch or binkying like a mad bunny if he's out. The single best was Ted. I would roll a woven ball with a bell in it, he would chase it, pick it up and bring it back to me and set it down so we could do it all over again and again--all him, I did not do any training. I've had cats and dogs all my life, but only two of the canines we're as smart as the average bunny.

Yeah I don't have much experience with chicken. But with Harvey I'd say he's just as smart as some cats and dogs. Considering I can teach him tricks and he's taught himself some.... yet the cats. Well they hardly listen to me.

MagPie wrote:
Yeah I don't have much experience with chicken. .

Never had expierence with chicken either. I don't think they are very smart.

Oreo and trigger know when the food container is being opened. They also know if it is there food bowl or not. I accidentley switched up trigs and oreos water bowl today and Trigs was not to happy about it and threw it around the cage!!! I guess being a mom to four makes you kind of cranky,haha. Oreo looked at me like I was crazy. They also know if they are getting apples or not in there food. Usually if they do I take there bowls into the house to prepare. I can hear them hopping around and jumping in the cage,lol. So does all that count as being smart? They don't know there names and they arn't litter box trained but i still say they are smart :)

Befor this thread I thought rabbit intelligence maxxed out at being able to use the litter pan.

When I had Bagel, my last rabbit, I never attempted to discipline her in any way cuz I thought Bagel would never understand.

When I cuddled with Bagel, I would always put her on a towel.

Bagel would nibble and chew on that towel....(thinking there was no way I could discipline her) ...I WOULD LET BAGEL NIBBLE AND CHEW ON HER CUDDLING TOWEL.

Over the years that towel was reduced to shreds and I have to get her another cuddling towel.

Peanut, my current rabbit, has been nibbling on our cuddling towel too.

I began telling Peanut a firm " no "and gave her a gentle nudge to get her attention. PEANUT STOPPED NIBBLING ON THE TOWEL.

Rabbits are very intelligent. I've been amazed at how large a vocabulary first Scone, now Natasha has. Not just one-word commands, either (I read one book that said that rabbits were incapable of remembering and obeying commands that were more than one word - NOT). I can talk conversationally to Natasha, and she will react appropriately. Once I had some people over to the house, and it was getting crowded. I told Natasha, "you'd better go in your cage" - not the command "go in", which she does know, just speaking to her - and she ran into her cage immediately.

Natasha has two stuffed friends, Borders (the grey bunny) and Butter (the yellow one).

7648_071304_260000002.jpg

Borders pretty much stays where I put him, but Natasha loves to drag Butter all around the house, so I never know where I'll find her. Last night she was sitting in the middle of the living room floor and I said "where's Butter, Natasha?" She immediately ran over to where Butter was lying and began grooming her. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I said "where's Borders?" - and she ran across the room and groomed him.

Back