Share the reasons why you currently have the # of rabbit(s) you have.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have two bunnies, the reason we got them was for trainning the beagle puppies. (In no way to we allow the rabbits to be hurt or scared by the puppies. They only get this training from 8-12wks after that they go to puppy pens with wild rabbits). Both Cadbury and Baloo love to run around the back yard and hunt for the cage(it always has various treats in it so they look for it. Once inside, I close the door and let the pups out in the back yard. the puppies that are going to pet homes, get introduced to the bunnies in the kitchen, the pups run around and play with the rabbits. Cadbury came first, I thought that she would like a friend(she didn't seem depressed-I just thought. lol) Anyways,So I got baby(now baloo. I was told that baloo was a female and I thought that 2 females would get along fine. They did not get along at all. Cadbury beat up baloo something wicked. Eventually they became friends. Then came babies. Then came more babies. I thought Cadbury was pregnant when I got her the first time since I got baloo as a FEMALE. But then the second time came and I quickly realized that Baloo was indeed not a female. Now we have 5 new babies. One of the babies will most probably be staying as a house bunny, the other 4 already have new homes when they are ready to go.

My beagles are trained to hunt the wild rabbits, track them. Some of them are just regular hunting dogs, others are field trial dogs. My family...*hides under table* eat wild rabbits. I wont eat a domestic one though. I just could never bring myself to doing so. I just love mine too much:)

We have 6, and it all started with Minion.
I got Minion last year, we got Nemi as his bunwife (just before he was fixed, we bonded them straight after he healed)
We saved Artemis from my brother's dinner table
I bought Harold and Niambi to breed show rabbits/ESA rabbits
Bruiser was one of those "free" bunnies, Henry (who came with him) has been rehomed due to the assault on my allergies and his aversion to our cats
Caerbannog was also a dinner table rescue from my brother. I'd been looking for a NZ, and finally found a nice friendly little buck; so I brought him home. Hunny wasn't too thrilled, but understands my reasoning.

(Minion passed before we got Bruiser and CB)

I currently have 6 and there have been 2 that went over the rainbow bridge.

I thought I knew about rabbits when I got Becky from the shelter, but then she taught me how little I knew. I thought she was lonely and needed a friend. Somehow that snowballed into two pairs, deaths of bunspounces that had to be replaced, and then a pair from FL that were sapposed to be fosters (yeah right!).

When I hear of a bun that is going to be put down just because they are no longer "cute" my heart bleeds and I can't say no. I think if any others come home I may have to rescue a new husband because mine will run away to the nut house. :p

IMG_7760.jpg

I have Melody and Petals. I bought Melody from a friend when her mini rex had kits. He is now 7 and I adore him.
Petals came to me as a foster bun. She is timid but really a sweet girl. I wanted more buns so bad that when i suggested fostering my other half gave in. This way I can help as many buns as I can without having a "barn". Lol

cerigirl wrote:
Brandy, Chris would leave me if I kept my fosters. I love your picture.

Well, I wasn't the only one who was depressed at the thought of giving up Panda and Bunnicula. They knew to wrap their little paws around daddy's finger as soon as they got there. Panda in particular has such the personality that Joshua was reluctant to let them go aswell.

Thanks. It takes lots of Cheerios to get a family photo, but it's so cute.

Chris isn't an animal person at all and just puts up with my furballs. He will occasionally try and scratch a head or feed them but not often.

Brandy- Is that a castor Mini Rex I see in your picture between the lop and the dutch?

I made the decision to have two because I work fairly long hours over summer and was worried about how that affected Alice. I can just tell by how they get on now that they're going to be good friends when they're spayed/neutered. ^^ Can't wait!

ldoerr wrote:
Brandy- Is that a castor Mini Rex I see in your picture between the lop and the dutch?

yes- his full name is Ghirardelli Square because it looks like he is dipped in chocolate, but I call him Gary.

It would have made you cry- his breeder was going to break his little neck for DQ when he was 4 months old because he "wasn't worth the feed to take him home". *shudders* I will never go to a show again.

Brandy I think you might be the Lord of rabbit bonding! So seriously jealous right now. I had such a horrible bonding experience with Humma and Faith that I am terrified to try again :(

BTW those two bunderground buns were so cute I just wanted them to stay, lol! :p

I can't let all 6 play together without supervision because Panda and Houdini will fuss with each other on grumpy days. I don't want to risk an all out fight when I'm not there. I'm sorry it was so hard with Humma and Faith. :hug:

I adore them. Panda in particular has stolen my heart with his naughtyness. He is such a chow hound and food thief, but lives to be around people. Bunnicula is more shy and reserved, but has grown so much! She has almost doubled in size and her fur went from super rough to soft with the molt she just had. I guess even though she was an adult already she had a growth spurt with good food.

How is Freckle's tummy doing?

Well, I rushed him to the vet again yesterday bc he was so bloated. They gave sub Q fluids again. Basically he will never have normal poos but she told me to give the baby gas drops whenever he is bloated. I panicked yesterday but he's ok. He will have to live on critical care and hay for the rest of his life. So I bought him 6 different types of hay! Thanks for asking :biggrin:

I'd have more bunnies if hubby would let me :wink

I wouldn't be able to afford more than one! Also I would be intimidated by the thought of bonding two buns when I don't know anything about the process lol

Back